• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEVER sell stuff to people you know

Inlitero

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
Allow me to rant:

Last year, I sold a set of textbooks to my roommate for a substantially reduced price (like $70 for $300 worth new, probably $150 old at least) since she was my roommate. You can probably see where this goes.

This year, she finds out they've switched to the new edition. She then has the audacity to ask me for a refund. She says maybe I can recover some money selling it online. She says something along the lines of how she's a poor student, and will have too buy a new book on top of what she paid me last year. Then she tacks it on the monthly utility bill and gives me the books, a month later.

In an ideal world, she would have the wherewithal to sell it herself and recover costs that way. What the **** else am I supposed to do? Of course I had to give her a refund. I have to live with her!

She, though your roommate, is slightly gauche. You, though her roommate, have overlooked her cheesy behaviour and done a gallant thing by refunding her (your) money. Well done. Grace under pressure.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Inlitero
She, though your roommate, is slightly gauche. You, though her roommate, have overlooked her cheesy behaviour and done a gallant thing by refunding her (your) money. Well done. Grace under pressure.

don't encourage the OP's ***** moves

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I'm with Inlitero, but I do think you should expect to receive services in lieu of repayment: $70 is roughly one **, two non-sexual backrubs, or 10 hours of dishwashing / household chores.

Politely

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
don't encourage the OP's ***** moves

Agreed. This is the fundamental problem with modern America. All these feelings of entitlement and lack of responsibility for consequences. ***** slap due for both roommate (lack of responsibility) and the OP (perpetuating the problem). For the good of the United States. I mean that. Got to put an end to ridiculous crap like people suing over hot coffee or getting fat from eating McD's.
smack.gif

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
People like her are the scum of the earth. They're also completely unaware that people would actually look down on them. It's like the people that take ten minutes to pick out a ******* movie from the Redbox machine while 6 people are waiting behind them. It doesn't even register to them how inconsiderate they are.

polo votarient

Reaction score
Man im pissed for you. In my opinion I would not take that crap from her, and I would sit her down and say hay look im broke to, and you honestly should have double checked but im sorry your costing me money at this poing. Add more stuff in there and get your damn money back. Hope your situation works out better and I hope you talk to her.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I realize it was a total chump move. But at the moment, she caught me off guard and I needed her help for other non-related things. I was just surprised she asked me at all, since she's usually very conscientious. Money makes people behave differently, I suppose.

She won't be able to pull that **** off again, but while it's easy to say that in retrospect, it's not always easy given the circumstances. Best to avoid the situation altogether.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gretchenx