• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need some cloethes altered, possible and price?

Chr0n

Reaction score
Sirs,

over the last few months I have collected quite a heap of clothes that I need to get altered.
Before deciding whether it is worth it or not, I had hoped to gain some knowledge on whether it is possible to change these items and how costly it would be. Therefore, I would greatly appreciate your help on this.

1x Black Winter Coat (Cotton / Cashmere or Wool / Cashmere blend; sot sure as I have removed the label)
This has become a bit wide from the previous season (as I have lost some weight) and needs to be taken in.

1x Rugby Polo
Also needs to be taken in.

2x cotton sweaters
Would also need to be taken in.

1x Knit wool sweater
Is also a bit too wide.

Also I have several dress shirts that need to be fitted. Even though that should not be a problem, can you give me a rough range what that would cost me?

1x Dress shirt (too small)
Ok, this I think, will pose to be a problem. I got an Armani dress shirt ages ago and it was always slightly too tight at the breast (though fits at the stomach). Is there a possibility to "widen" it a bit? (though I doubt it, it's worth asking I guess, as I have quite fallen in love with it :embar:)

Thank you very much in advance.
Daniel

tgt465

Reaction score
Cost will depend a lot on where you live. If you live in Tokyo, it will be many times more expensive than if you lived in Mumbai.

Here is what Ralph Lauren charges for items one buys in their store: http://www.ralphlauren.com/helpdesk/popup_tailor.html

Making clothes smaller can be done. Making shirts bigger usually cannot be done, unless you consider stretching or adding panels of some other fabric to the item okay.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1x Black Winter Coat (Cotton / Cashmere or Wool / Cashmere blend; sot sure as I have removed the label)
This has become a bit wide from the previous season (as I have lost some weight) and needs to be taken in.

Cheapish alteration, starting at $35 although could be more depending on how much work. My tailor charges $60 for this, but she does a great job.

1x Rugby Polo
Also needs to be taken in.
2x cotton sweaters
Would also need to be taken in.
1x Knit wool sweater
Is also a bit too wide.
Also I have several dress shirts that need to be fitted. Even though that should not be a problem, can you give me a rough range what that would cost me?

These are cheap alterations, typically starting at $20 per piece.

1x Dress shirt (too small)
Ok, this I think, will pose to be a problem. I got an Armani dress shirt ages ago and it was always slightly too tight at the breast (though fits at the stomach). Is there a possibility to "widen" it a bit? (though I doubt it, it's worth asking I guess, as I have quite fallen in love with it :embar:)
Thank you very much in advance.

Not possible unless there is extra fabric. Usually there will be no fabric to let out with a dress shirt. In this regard, sell the shirt and invest in a new one.

Last edited:

Chr0n

Reaction score
Thank you, you have been much help.

I also recently got a burbbery brit coat (http://www.equipmentmachine.com/k/?...4101&name=Burberry+Brit+Men+s+Coat+Navy+Reed+) that I would need to be slimmed - i.e. it fits at the shoulders but should be a slimmer shape (taking out fabric from the back) and also have the sleeves shortened.

First of all is it even possible to alter a trench and have it water resistent after?

Furthermore, I am not sure if I would want to trust any tailor here with that.
From a friend I heard about Ede & Ravenscroft.
While I know there London tailor is great, has anyone ever had experience with the one located in Edinburgh?

Tailor Dan

Reaction score
Hi there

Should be able to alter a trench coat but re waxing or weather proofing is another thing all together. May need to shop around at the outdoor clothing shops in the city.

Ede & Ravenscroft are good from what I have heard but s always a risk no matter who you use. There tailors are trained and learn with some of the best so should be in good hands.

http://gentlemansgent.blogspot.com/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads