• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Shoes - Lots of them

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
As it should be for any sane person. I was just kidding--at the forum's expense, not yours.

Sanity is for the weak.

OP: For what it's worth, my favourite AE styles are the Mora and Mcallister... both discontinued, but may be findable at an outlet store or, occasionally, on eBay. I very much suggest the former in a brown calf or brown suede and the latter in cordovan. Try calling an AE store to see if they have any anywhere in the country in your size.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
They all seem like good choices, although I like the Evanston the best.

say what? i would rather wear D&G than AE...

Originally Posted by jeff in vancouver
So safe to say "you can't go wrong with those choices?"

you can't go right with these choices either. these AEs looks more like fashion wannabe than anything, except on traditional and conservative lasts.

coconut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
these AEs looks more like fashion wannabe than anything, except on traditional and conservative lasts.

I like the inventive AE styles. Check them out in person or in ebay pics to get a better idea of the impression they make.

They are unfashion more that fashion wannabe, as though they were designed by someone who is more into shoes than into modern art. I am not saying I wish all shoes looked like this, but the styles do work.

As for the lasts, I have no defense.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it has to be AE, I'd go for the McClain in Merlot, Evanston in Chestnut, and Park Ave in Black.

I just spent 5 glorious days shoe shopping in NYC, and visited many stores incl. AE. I like AE, especially the US prices (Vancouver prices will be as inflated as Toronto's, I'm guessing -- maybe worth a trip to Seattle). $150.00 savings on three pairs.

I must admit to being very disappointed with many of AEs new offerings. I tried on the Hale in merlot, and it just seemed ungainly. The photographs on the site look so good. After visits to Lobb, Weston, etc, they just seem clunky and uninspired. That said, I have McClains in chocolate brown suede and love the look and fit.

This forum, however, has educated me about fine shoes. I've had to invest some money (gulp) in my basics, but the research and shopping has been worth it. And with shoe trees, polishing and proper shoes care, I expect my investments to last a long time.

Enjoy the research and the shopping. Good luck.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The AE Hale is a great shoe on their #8 last. I picked it up in black and have no regrets. In fact I am keeping my eyes peeled for additional colors on discount.

jeff in vancouver

Reaction score
I am thinking of the Hale in black instead of the Park Avenue. I just can't get excited about black shoes though.

I have also come to the conlusion that buying 4 or 5 pairs of shoes at once isn't a great idea as I am sure I will develop a better sense of what I like after I own one pair of "better shoes" for a while

I have also decided to do the ebay thing for most of them, and even pick up a used pair or two. I figure this will be a good way to figure out what I like and don't like, and save some money to spend on a shoe collection when I am bit better educated on the subject.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It can become an illness. Beware.

Eight weeks ago I had AEs, Bostonians, etc.

Now, six weeks on this frigging forum and I have AE McClain, two Testoni, a Canali and a JM Weston. All retail!!! :-(

I can now relax for a bit as I have black and light brown oxfords, a suede chocolate brown oxford, and black and burgundy monk straps. A good start and enough to cover most days and events.

But the itch began again today, Damnit!

I 'need' a light brown monk (Vale in Chestnut) and a dark brown oxford (Vass). Oh, and a Prada penny and Tod driver.

Then, that's it. Really. For sure....

LOL

Enjoy the ride and enjoy the research.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On Burgundy: Diversify. I love AE and have a bunch....but you need some variety.

Look at:

Alden Penny or plain cap toe blucher
BB has a few nice Cordovan shoes, and a nice penny or two in calf
Stuart's choice has a BEAUTIFUL burgundy boot
JM Weston Aston
Ferragamo Raro (I have these..medallion cap-toe....love them)

Note: Men's vogue did a spread on Burgundy shoes a few months ago..might be a good reference.

jeff in vancouver

Reaction score
thanks I'll check that out. I have now have three pairs of AE in transit. Not sure if they will be keepers, but atleast it will be a start. I have booked some time next week to go shoe shopping to check out some other brands.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks I'll check that out. I have now have three pairs of AE in transit. Not sure if they will be keepers, but atleast it will be a start. I have booked some time next week to go shoe shopping to check out some other brands.

So which styles/colors did you score?

jeff in vancouver

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekgeek
So which styles/colors did you score?

I t was just on an ebay rampage, not all great deals but some styles of shoes that I was looking for at price that if I don't like em and flip em, it will be no big loss:

Paid $123 for these. If the condition lives up to the pictures, I will be happy with them as I was going to pull the trigger on them new. As they are more a shoes to wear with odd jackets, it was nice to find them used.

6411_1.JPG

These are Margates. $60. Looks like a safe shoe to wear with lots of things

135801469_tp.jpg

I grabbed these just for the hell of it. At $21 for them, if I only wear them 2 times i be happy. I like the look of them. They are AE Boulevard's

136001388_o.jpg

I am still on the hunt for a few more pairs, as I need a solid black shoe.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I t was just on an ebay rampage, not all great deals but some styles of shoes that I was looking for at price that if I don't like em and flip em, it will be no big loss:

I grabbed these just for the hell of it. At $21 for them, if I only wear them 2 times i be happy. I like the look of them. They are AE Boulevard's

136001388_o.jpg

I am still on the hunt for a few more pairs, as I need a solid black shoe.

Damn..... those brown shoes look great and were a steal. Good score!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those Boulevards look really sweet. Maybe the predecessor of the Cambridge? I'd say they're at least 10 years old.

The only hting that would make them sweeter would be to be in that color in shell cordovan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads