• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need matching belt for discontinued Allen Edmonds

insp86

Reaction score
Hey all-

I recently got a great deal on a pair of AE Drydens in "Brandy." I really like them, but have realized I don't really have a belt in that shade of brown. Do any of you have any good ideas where I could find a dress belt to pair with thee great new shoes? Is Chili the same as Brandy? Any general belt advice? Thanks in advance!

samurai

Reaction score
I believe it's a good idea not to match things too exactly. If belt and shoes are relatively close in color and finish that's good enough. An exact match comes across as a bit uptight OCD. Just a touch of carelesness
is desirable when it comes to matters of dress.

Fred Astair went to pick up a blazer that had been made to measure for him. The tailor helped him on with it and stood back. Astair looked in the mirror and nodded his approval.
"It's simply perfect on you, Mr. Astair" said the tailor.
Fred Astair took off the beautiful blazer and tossed it at the wall. It hit the wall, then slid to the floor. Astair picked it up, and putting it on again said to the tailor "Now it's perfect!"

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I would check Ebay - I recently bought an AE shoe in Chili and had the same issue. Found a matching belt for $49.99. There was a thread recently about the seller, he had a lot of AE belts and shipped quickly.

Also - I have no idea if Brandy is the same as Chili. You can always e-mail AE and ask - they have great customer service.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
I wear the Dryden with a chestnut AE belt and it is a good match. BTY I buy my AE belts off the guy on ebay too and they are great. If you want his email, pm as he will sell direct for $40 + $6 shipping.When I get back from my run, I will post a pick of the shoes and belt.

FreedBird

Reaction score
I work at an AE factory store and we have a substantial amount of discontinued belts that are pretty cheap send me a PM and I will see if I can find anything for you. A chili belt won't be anywhere close to the brandy, but Jeff is right that a chestnut might work, it will be a little bit darker, but not by much.

insp86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FreedBird
I work at an AE factory store and we have a substantial amount of discontinued belts that are pretty cheap send me a PM and I will see if I can find anything for you. A chili belt won't be anywhere close to the brandy, but Jeff is right that a chestnut might work, it will be a little bit darker, but not by much.

Awesome, PM in your inbox!

insp86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
I wear the Dryden with a chestnut AE belt and it is a good match. BTY I buy my AE belts of the guy on ebay too and they are great. When I get back from my run, I will post a pick of the shoes and belt.

That'd be great, thanks so much. A nice subtle contrast might work (per the story above).

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Here are my Brandy Dryden’s with AE chestnut Medallion belt. Close enough match for me. I get lots of compliments on this combination.

Sorry they are not the best pictures, but you get the idea. (first one with flash, second with out)

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samurai
I believe it's a good idea not to match things too exactly. If belt and shoes are relatively close in color and finish that's good enough. An exact match comes across as a bit uptight OCD. Just a touch of carelesness
is desirable when it comes to matters of dress.

Fred Astair went to pick up a blazer that had been made to measure for him. The tailor helped him on with it and stood back. Astair looked in the mirror and nodded his approval.
"It's simply perfect on you, Mr. Astair" said the tailor.
Fred Astair took off the beautiful blazer and tossed it at the wall. It hit the wall, then slid to the floor. Astair picked it up, and putting it on again said to the tailor "Now it's perfect!"

I know most people on this forum are in love with fred astair, but that seems absolutely rediculus.
lol8[1].gif

I digress though, close enough is better then perfect sometimes.

Its the difference between someone who dresses well daily (and therefore makes some exceptions) and those who have very specific dress clothes for special occasions.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a chestnut colored belt will work - I wear a chestnut trafalgar belt with my brandy AE holts.

if you want an exact match, call the AE outlets or scour ebay.....

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
chili is just a reddish brown.

Again,

CLOSE ENOUGH IS GOOD ENOUGH

I associate exact color/texture matching of belts to shoes with novices.

sky140885

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
chili is just a reddish brown.

Again,

I associate exact color/texture matching of belts to shoes with novices.

what colors should i be looking at then?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads