• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Help with Houndstooth Trousers

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of houndstooth trousers with brown, tan, and olive checks. I recently acquired a pair of brown suede monkstraps that I plan on wearing with these pants. The pants are Ralph Lauren and don't have any belt loops. I need help figuring out a shirt to go with this. I was thinking of a very light sweater (V-neck?) in brown or olive that I could tuck in. Any other thoughts?

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
I have a pair of houndstooth trousers with brown, tan, and olive checks. I recently acquired a pair of brown suede monkstraps that I plan on wearing with these pants. The pants are Ralph Lauren and don't have any belt loops. I need help figuring out a shirt to go with this. I was thinking of a very light sweater (V-neck?) in brown or olive that I could tuck in. Any other thoughts?

Let me get this right, the pants dont have any belt loops and you are looking for a sweater to wear that you can tuck into the pants?

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pants were designed with no belt loops. There's probably a name for that, but I'm new to the style world and don't know it. They look and fit great; so great that I hate to mess it up wearing a bulky sweater. I found a very light lambswool sweater (V-neck) in green, but the color wasn't olive enough.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
How about a (off) white shirt and a plain olive sweater, maybe even a sleeveless sweater?

pfr0g

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
The pants were designed with no belt loops. There's probably a name for that

There is. My tailor calls it a Hollywood Waist and another of my tailors simply calls them side tabs. Also when I ordered 2 pairs of Oxxford trousers in this style they refer to them as Hollywood Waist as well.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I thought a Hollywood waist was where the waist of the pants goes significantly higher than the belt loops, and has no separate waistband. (Only pic I could find quickly):

2f1brc3.jpg

Anyway, unless you're swing dancing I don't think tucking in a sweater will be a great idea, but it's up to you.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off white shirt and olive sweater (untucked) should do it.

Thanks for the advice. This board is really helpful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads