• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Help - New Job / New Wardrobe

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welp, I'm pretty sure that I am going to need to get some new duds. I may be jumping the gun but in the next week or two (or at least the next couple of months) there's a good possiblity I'll be promoted into a new sales position (possibly the next management position) and I will probably have to start over with some new clothes for the job. My company currently buys my clothing (Lands' End stuff and poly / cotton work pants). If I get the sales position, I will be on the road all day (in my company car
smile.gif
) both visiting existing customers and "cold calling" on customers to gain new business. My job is in the trucking industry and I will be calling on customers who have and may need trucks. I don't want to dress too nicely as to intimidate customers but I want to look good so I am thinking I will need to find things that are business casual. A suit and tie may be a bit much. It would be very nice but I'd probably be looking more towards odd jackets and pants and lots of layering (because I love layering
bigstar[1].gif
). I am looking for designers or styles of clothing that might work for this setting. I am def. more streetwear (personally) but I am looking forward to dressing up a bit. Polos and button down shirts (plus jackets in the winter) are probably what I'm looking for. I am NOT trad or really conservative but I guess I am interested in something like contemporary casual. My company will also still be supplying some polos and jackets (from Lands' End) so I should maybe work those into my wardrobe (not a necessity though). My biggest fear is actually pants and shoes. I am not looking forward to wearing khakis (I'd like to do a little better than that) but for the summer that may be the best option and I'm afraid if I get a pair or 2 of AEs or something similar because I will probably destroy them in a short amount of time with constant walking / getting in and out of the car , parking lots / dirty places. Thoughts? I am thinking maybe along the lines of David Chu, Penguin, Bills Khakis??? Finally, I will be getting a significant raise but I don't have too much money to spend right now. I will have to start to get things (if I'm offered the position) over the next couple of weeks (once I'm in the position)

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any other time everyone has an opinion...
sarcasm.gif
Can Hickey Freeman / Hart Schaftner and Marx (Blue?, Gold?, Travelor?) / Allen Edmonds be pulled off in a contemporary casual kinda way or will they be too 'trad' or 'older' looking?
peepwall[1].gif
Incotex?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think Hickey Freeman is a good place to start. They can often be found at Neiman Marcus Last Call or Saks Off Fifth at significant discounts (in the $500 price range). However, I thought you mentioned you didn't want to do a tie? If you are talking sportcoats, then yes, a few HF sportcoats would give you a well-dressed appearance without making you look too "trad". You might also want to pick up a navy blazer (3 button will come off as less "conservative" than a 2 IMO) and Brooks Brothers is a great place to get a quality blazer for not a lot of money. If you travel a lot, this one may be of interest:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...&Parent_Id=202

and would work very well with khakis. BB also has some great looking sport coats, again, at very reasonable prices:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...ault_color=Tan

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...lt_color=Brown

The good thing about nosing around the BB site is you get some good ideas of what trousers/shirts will work with the jacket.

You can't go wrong with AE, although I tend to favor Ferragamo, which I feel are slightly less conservative. If you go with the AE, try to get a classic like the Park Avenue, and maybe something slightly less conservative looking, like the Lexington. As long as you don't wear the shoes 2 days in a row, and use shoe trees in between wears, they should hold up well. Good luck with the new job.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about a corduroy suit in a slim, slightly fashion-forward cut?

Hard-wearing, and trousers and jacket can be worn as separates.

RM Williams chelsea boots would probably work very well.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I think Hickey Freeman is a good place to start. They can often be found at Neiman Marcus Last Call or Saks Off Fifth at significant discounts (in the $500 price range). However, I thought you mentioned you didn't want to do a tie? If you are talking sportcoats, then yes, a few HF sportcoats would give you a well-dressed appearance without making you look too "trad". You might also want to pick up a navy blazer (3 button will come off as less "conservative" than a 2 IMO) and Brooks Brothers is a great place to get a quality blazer for not a lot of money. If you travel a lot, this one may be of interest: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...&Parent_Id=202 and would work very well with khakis. BB also has some great looking sport coats, again, at very reasonable prices: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...ault_color=Tan http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...lt_color=Brown The good thing about nosing around the BB site is you get some good ideas of what trousers/shirts will work with the jacket. You can't go wrong with AE, although I tend to favor Ferragamo, which I feel are slightly less conservative. If you go with the AE, try to get a classic like the Park Avenue, and maybe something slightly less conservative looking, like the Lexington. As long as you don't wear the shoes 2 days in a row, and use shoe trees in between wears, they should hold up well. Good luck with the new job.
No, I didn't really want to do a tie and I think since the summer is coming the smartest way to build my wardrobe of this kind of clothing would be to get some odd pants (Hickey, Hart Schaffner, Incotex?, BB?, Bill's) and I guess 2 pairs of decent shoes now that you mention it (AEs, Ferregamo?). I don't think I'll get the jackets until the winter rolls around and I'll be able to save up more money. Unfortunately, I let the dressier part of my wardrobe go because I haven't needed it and have been mostly buying streetwear. It looks like I've been caught with my pants down, er, not owned yet.
plain.gif
I'm afraid to get really nice shoes as they will just get destroyed pretty quickly. Despite the wear and tear, you think that's still the best way to go? The shirts I can get pretty easily from either Paul Frederick or BB as they are local (and I get a corporate discount at BB). I can find AE on Ebay for a good price used but what about Ferragamo? I've never looked and I think AE is probably the least expensive I'll find in that quality. Anyone think the Milford is too casual?

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From 1999-2001 I dealt with the management of truck dealers a lot and it sounds like you're right on track. It's a very "khaki and polo" casual environment. As a salesperson, a jacket over a polo or dress shirt will be dressy but acceptable in most cases but I think you're right to stick with the "uniform" at first (khakis and button down oxford).

And you're spot on with the shoes. Forget everything you learned here about shoes and go for comfort and style. Truck lots are gravel (with exception of some like Arrow) and you will tear some shoes up. I don't think I ever met anyone on a truck lot that would be able to tell the difference between AE or Thom McCan. A lot of dirt, dust, mud, etc. Machine washable pants are probably a good idea also.

As far as brands, I really like Incotex and RL for pants. Shirts? high dollar european slim-fits like Etro, etc that I quit buying waiting on Jantzen.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If your goal is good quality, sturdy, yet attractive shoes, and at a low price, I think AE is the way to go. Again, if you rotate them (try not to wear them 2 days in a row, use shoe trees, and keep them polished), they should last you a while.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm finding that when I want a more rugged, masculine look, I reach for my RM Williams chelsea boots. Since I own the Comfort Craftsman model with a rubber sole, I can muck around in them a bit, too. Just realize that the welt isn't waterproof.

Edit: Lands' End OCBDs are relatively cheap and rugged. I also like their twill trousers. They're chino-like, but hold a crease so they look a little dressier. I built a large collection of OCBDs and twill trousers by shopping the LE overstock section over the years.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Faded501s
From 1999-2001 I dealt with the management of truck dealers a lot and it sounds like you're right on track. It's a very "khaki and polo" casual environment. As a salesperson, a jacket over a polo or dress shirt will be dressy but acceptable in most cases but I think you're right to stick with the "uniform" at first (khakis and button down oxford).

And you're spot on with the shoes. Forget everything you learned here about shoes and go for comfort and style. Truck lots are gravel (with exception of some like Arrow) and you will tear some shoes up. I don't think I ever met anyone on a truck lot that would be able to tell the difference between AE or Thom McCan. A lot of dirt, dust, mud, etc. Machine washable pants are probably a good idea also.

As far as brands, I really like Incotex and RL for pants. Shirts? high dollar european slim-fits like Etro, etc that I quit buying waiting on Jantzen.

Polo.com is another option for tops and pants. Because of that tough environment, the unpopular wrinkle-free pants might actually be a good choice. There white shirts probably won't look good by day's end.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics