• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help building a business casual wardrobe

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by millionaire75
Pants are my biggest problem for work. How are the rise on these?

HY trousers have a medium rise, lower than most. Measurements:

Wool_Pants_Size_Chart_3.jpg

Can't really say enough good things about these pants at this price--I've been looking for this kind of fit with this quality in stable fabrics for a while without having to hunt down the 3 charcoal grey flat-front Incotex/Mabitex trousers that last more that 15 minutes in the B&S every year. Now (if they would just stay in stock) I can order them at my leisure in a variety of colors in different weights and materials depending on the season.

sanadan

Reaction score
If I really liked the fit of the Coppley 35's I tried on would I be safe to order a 36 in the HY, or would I be better off ordering a 34? Is it easy for a tailor to take in the waist or is it easier to let out the waist? (I've never owned a pair of pants that were worth enough for me to even inquire with a tailor about this.) Since I'm not tall (5'7") I would prefer the lower rise of the 34, but obviously they need to fit...

The HY look great, it's too bad they are sold out of most of the pants that interested me, but I'm a little concerned about the sizing since they do not acccept returns from Canada.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MHH89
I hate business casual, I hope business formal comes back after this recession.

Its nice not having to own the 10+ suits required for a nice business formal wardrobe. Instead i can wear tweed.

my business casual consists of mid-gray flannels, cords and cotton pants. tattersal and solid shirts in light colors and a host of sportcoats.

pokey07

Reaction score
I'm trying to upgrade my work wardrobe. I was strictly wearing J.Crew chinos with J.Crew and Gap shirts and J.Crew wingtips. I got a couple pairs of BB advantage chinos the other day and they feel/look a lot better IMO. I'd also like to pick up a couple pairs of wool pants. What colors/fits/brands would you guys recommend? I was looking at maybe just charcoal and navy. Banana Republic has a tailored fit that might work if anyone has input on their fit.

For shirts I can continue tailoring my sales rack shirts I guess.

My J.Crew shoes look horrible so if anyone has any recommendations for a brown and black pair of shoes preferably around 150 or so?

Any other tips would be great, thanks.

pokey07

Reaction score
Thank you. I'll do a quick google search on them in a bit.

I'm looking for navy wool pants, but I'm gonna need a nice navy suit for a wedding this summer... am I better off just buying the suit now? I'm really clueless on when it comes to suit buying. I imagine it would be hard to buy the pants now and complete the suit later finding the exact color, pattern, etc.

pokey07

Reaction score
Banana Republic is having a 40% off sale right now so I might pick up some shirts from there.

Does anyone know how their tailored suits fit? The 1 button chino looks like it would be nice for me for a summer wedding.

Todd6060

Reaction score
Business casual wool pants - Start with medium gray.

Suit - Start with navy or charcoal solid 100% wool. I wouldn't bother with a chino suit unless you already have a couple of good wool suits. You need to buy the pants and jacket at the same time and don't wear them separate of each other.

pokey07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Todd6060

Suit - Start with navy or charcoal solid 100% wool. I wouldn't bother with a chino suit unless you already have a couple of good wool suits. You need to buy the pants and jacket at the same time and don't wear them separate of each other.

Thank you. I actually have a TaT navy suit, and I'm going to post pictures of the fit when I get home to see if there are any alterations that you guys think I should make to it.

I'll check out some stores and try and find medium gray pants, thanks.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MHH89
I hate business casual, I hope business formal comes back after this recession.

I think more likely business formal would come back DURING the recession. During the tough times, companies can ask more from its employees.

pokey07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Todd6060

I am going to buy the medium gray wool pants right now.

I was lookin at these from J.Crew in the medium gray http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/p...9042/29042.jsp

Good? Bad? Should I go with a different brand? I'm not trying to spend too much.

Thanks.

pokey07

Reaction score
I guess Banana Republic and Brooks Brothers are my other choices. Between the three, who would have the best cut, if I'm looking for a slimmer fit?

I'm worried about J.Crew's quality. I have a couple pants from them and after not much wear, they have faded colors, holes in pockets, etc. I do like the fit though, and I'm not sure if their wool pants or suiting would be of different quality (although from what I've read about J.Crew's suiting on here, the fit is a bit awkward). I'm leaning towards the BR tailored fit pants, since they have a 35% off sale right now.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pokey07
I need to stock up on dress pants, shirts, and I'm not too happy with my shoes either so I wouldn't be upset with a new pair or two.

Shirts I've found Charles Tyrwhitt (always 4 for $199 and often cheaper with holiday promotions) non-iron slim or tailored fit (consult their sizing guide) dress shirts to be a good value.

Pants If you subscribe to Paul Fredrick's mail catalog, you'll receive 2 for 1 coupons. They say they're single use, but you can use them multiple times on separate orders. With the coupon, their trim fit wool gabardine trousers come out to $84.50 + shipping for 2 pairs. Black, charcoal, navy, pearl gray, and dark taupe would probably serve well as classic, solid colors. I'm sure you can find nicer pants, but again these have been a good value for me.

Shoes I'm working on this myself. I have black Allen Edmonds Park Avenues, and plan to get walnut Strands and a dark brown or burgundy/merlot pair (maybe McAllisters or Macneils). You can get calf leather Allen Edmonds for low to mid 200s here.

m.gway

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pokey07
I am going to buy the medium gray wool pants right now.

I was lookin at these from J.Crew in the medium gray http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/p...9042/29042.jsp

Good? Bad? Should I go with a different brand? I'm not trying to spend too much.

Thanks.

For that price you can find better in B&S (mabitex, incotex).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads