• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need first essential suits... slim fit help!

JakeBake

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
So I am an undergraduate in business finance school and for certain events and interviews I need a couple essential suits. I am slim built about 5'10" 155 pounds. I like the really fit slim cut suits however nothing ridiculous.
I only want to spend about 600-700 or so for two suits or one really nice one.
What are my best options?
I know they have the indochino black Friday sale going on right now that I can get a premium suit for 518 or two of the essential suits for 718.
There is also Mens Warehouse buy one get one free and most of the good ones are 649.99. Which ones are good?
I recently purchase a calvin klein charcoal grey suit slim fit at Nordstrom rack for 250 dollars. It is model mlka2 but does not fit me as slim as I would like especially the pants which are a 32 waste and I need a 31-30 plus like them a lot more slim then they are. I have a free $100 Nordstrom alterations credit that I can use towards that.
I also tried a Banana Republic Tailored Slim Fit suit which I think fit wonderfully however for the price it seemed a little thin.
I took some pictures of the suit to see what the quality of it is. It is 100% wool. Is it Half-canvased Full or nothing?
What other options are best? There is indochino, mens warehouse? Not sure what else for slim fit suits. Also this is a 38r and I'm wondering if I should stick with that or change it. Also how are the shoulder pads? Minimal? I know it at least needs to be tapered and the arms shortened however I also want he Arms/wrists narrower. Is this possible?
Ignore the pants..the pants that came with like I said need work and are not hemmed.

Thanks for any help and anyone who is slim and has found great slim fit suits let me know!

Last edited:

SomethingsFishy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi there, welcome to SF. It might be a bit of a rough ride as you begin to grasp the nuances of fit and finish (I'm a fellow undergrad and I got SMACKED my first couple of weeks here) but I assure you the transformation will be well worth it.

I'm going to do you the luxury of giving it to you straight.

Mens wearhouse is utter trash, discount the idea.

Indochino is better, but still not necessarily brilliant.

Bang for your buck wise, short of eBay (which we can get into once you know something about your measurements, but is folly beforehand) my vote goes for Kent Wang. Exceedingly high quality at the price point.

Feel free to shoot me a PM- I'm new enough that I still remember a lot of the concerns I had when starting out. I enjoy helping others along :D

As far as the suit you've got there, it appears to be altogether too large (a common problem in American suiting). The shoulders are too wide, the waist suppression insufficient. While the latter is easily fixable, the former is pretty much inoperable- I'd suggest flipping it and starting over.

Last edited:

soundnin

Reaction score
OP did you not read anything from the forum or do a quick google search before posting? throwing out the most obvious suggestion - suitsupply (outlet <$300, regular store ~$500 for a suit)

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OP did you not read anything from the forum or do a quick google search before posting? throwing out the most obvious suggestion - suitsupply (outlet <$300, regular store ~$500 for a suit)

+1

He probably did not - like all the others that start new threads on this long boring subject. Search will give you far more advice than is ever likely to be reposted for the umpteenth time.

JakeBake

Reaction score
The answer is getting the navy London two button suit from Suit Supply for $499. It's cut slim but with a conservative color and lapel so it doesn't look "fashiony" but fits well. At your height and weight it should fit you off the rack with perhaps minor alterations.

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits?prefn1=styleFit&prefv1=Classic-London
What makes this suit so good? My only problem with them is they don't have a store in AZ and I would like to try it on first. I also am looking for a charcoal/darker grey suit for my first one. Which of their suit cuts are the slimmest? It is hard to tell by the descriptions/pictures

JakeBake

Reaction score
I have read multiple threads however its usually the same thing... everyone saying they do not like the slim fit or that they need to buy a 500+ suit. All I need is something that fits great but is about 450 max and not utter crap. I will purchase a better quality suit later.

coop86

Reaction score

What makes this suit so good? My only problem with them is they don't have a store in AZ and I would like to try it on first. I also am looking for a charcoal/darker grey suit for my first one. Which of their suit cuts are the slimmest? It is hard to tell by the descriptions/pictures

Well if you want to try it on in person your only bet is probably J Crew, Banana Republic or Hugo Boss. I'd say Suit Supply is better than all three though in construction and cost. Their slimmest fit is the Washington.

sns23

Reaction score

Well if you want to try it on in person your only bet is probably J Crew, Banana Republic or Hugo Boss. I'd say Suit Supply is better than all three though in construction and cost. Their slimmest fit is the Washington.

Copenhagan is the most tailored fit.

beianfanla

Reaction score
yes,Feel free to shoot me a PM- I'm new enough that I still remember a lot of the concerns I had when starting out. I enjoy helping others along
CHEEFv

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have read multiple threads however its usually the same thing... everyone saying they do not like the slim fit or that they need to buy a 500+ suit. All I need is something that fits great but is about 450 max and not utter crap. I will purchase a better quality suit later. 

Rubbish, this subject has been exhaustively covered. Read more carefully and consider your approach. Cheap and "fits great" do not go hand in hand. It will certainly be utter crap.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member