• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

need bag help between these two...

jov777

Reaction score
i'm in the market for a new computer/everything bag and i think i've narrowed it down to 2.

http://www.villagetannery.com/briefcases.html

ok, so from this place above i am thinking about getting the 3rd bag over in the top row, but in the color of the one to the left of it. (the more dull, sandy colored brown) my second choice from this place is the 2nd one over in the bottom row, but also have it made in the duller sandy brown color.

ok it'll be one of those vs this filson, in the grey/brownish color. i believe it's the one picutred in the link.

http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_i...roducts_id=661)

just to put it out there, i'm not a fancy guy. more on the suttle stylish side of things. always have a 5 o'clock shadow, wear tighter than average fitting jeans, have a pair of varvatos boots, but don't really go crazy overboard with names and labels. don't know if that gives you a sense of my style, but i dress very south brookyln if that helps.

thanks

jov777

Reaction score
or feel free to bombard me with other ideas. i don't need it today so i'm always open to other ideas.

thanks

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm personally partial to the Filson bag out of these choices.

One thing about the Village Tannery is that they rarely line anything. It's usually left raw inside and there are few interior pockets. At least that's the deal with the bag I have from there, which is more of a messenger-style bag.

If you're going with the Filson, get it from their site. It's $35 less than at the store you linked:

http://www.filson.com/product/index....entPage=family

Here's a code I just received for free shipping from Filson too:

http://www.filson.com/home/OASpage2.jsp

Chicago Guy

Reaction score
Good choices! Those would be my top two choices for the option at VT. Regarding Flaneur's comment - it would definitely be prudent to find out what the inside is made of and how many pockets there are in the inside.

jov777

Reaction score
well, here's my thoughts/issues...

the VT bags will last for ever, but are heavy and don't have a lot of finesse to them. i've looked up close at these bags and it's great that they are handmade, but at the same time some parts are sewn on crooked or the leather is not cut perfectly. (you would never notice unless you were looking at the bag upclose)

the problem with the filson bag is that i feel they are kinda played out and may be a bit trendy. what i mean is...this bag style is very in right now, but what about next year and the years to come. i'm heading out and about today to see if i run across anything else.

CrocsRock

Reaction score
Or you could grab the Filson from Crane's Country Store since they happen to be an SF affiliate and offer a discount. Plus they're fast and easy to deal with.

I picked up one of the larger Filson computer bags and use the thing as an everyday shoulder bag / overnighter / gym bag. You can easily cram about a half dozen puppies in the darn bags.

zeronetwo

Reaction score
maybe you could consider some of the bags here:

www.thepropertyof.com

only thing is they do not carry briefcase-like bags

slightly more casual...more of the everything-bag.

personally eyeing a couple in there already
haha

jov777

Reaction score
yeah, i checked out some of the property of bags and they are nice, but i think i've ultimately decided i want brown leather. i wear mostly black and really like the contrast of the brown on black.

that being said, if i didn't go with leather i think i decided i'd go with one of these bags, they look pretty nice.

http://www.cargabags.com/

thanks for everyone's thoughts/opinions

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads