• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice for job interview suit

lgc400

Reaction score
So I am graduating college in April and need a good suit for interviews.

I went to Macy's and ended up doing a pre-sale plus some other discount and got a $650 Tommy Hilfiger suit for about $200 and I bought a bunch of other stuff to take advantage of the discounts. I got about 40% off on everything.

I can return it if you guys think I made a mistake, but this is what I got:

100% wool dark navy blue suit
100% cotton white dress shirt slim fit (they didn't have a wrinkle free one in stock unfortunately)
100% silk ties, mainly light blue in color with stripes or dots.

Dark brown shoes (I think they were echo or something?)

Belt that is close to the shoes in color.

I will try to take a picture once I pick up the items on Thursday.

Does this sound ok (brand/material/color wise) for an entry level bachelors degree job interview?

Is Macy's generally a good deal? I checked out Von Maur but they seemed to have the same suits except they weren't on clearance.

If you think I can get a better deal on what I bought I will gladly return it, also open to suggestions on if those colors/materials work for an interview. I want to make sure it is conservative enough and not flashy.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sigh, they have a whole section for this, but I'll give you my view.

What you bought, if tailored properly, will probably look fine. The shoes, well, i'm guessing they suck.

Now then, if you have time until this interview, I would return everything, save maybe the ties, and go for something of higher quality.

Tommy Hilfiger suits are fused, the materials are meh, and the assembly quality leaves much to be desired.

I would suggest suit supply for the suit (go with the napoli for a non-stupid tight fit), charles tyrwhitt for the shirts, and thetiebar.com for ties (until you get a good idea of what you like).

shoes will likely be allen edmonds seconds.

You can get the suit for $470, 4 shirts for $200, ties for $15, and shoes for maybe $150.

These items will last you much longer than what you have, and you won't look back in embarrassment.

That said, if you are in a hurry, the items you selected will likely be just fine. Be sure to at least get the sleeves and pants tailored to acceptable lengths.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just remember the sizing and fitting is key. You're interviewer won't be so concerned with your suit unless its too loud, too big or too small, if its basic and proper they will be able to focus on you and your experiences.

I know quadcammer wants you to go for suitsupply, that's excellent advice - but if you're on a budget and time limit, it makes sense to go with your pick. Its more crucial you get the job you are interviewing for. Then you can go ahead and go crazy with other stuff.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you've already got it, keep the suit. Hilfinger's not great, but it's fine, and you already have it. Get the sleeves and hems done and don't worry about it. Navy with a white shirt is perfect, and a lot of members here actually prefer must iron over non-iron. "Wrinkle Free" often means a poly blend, good job staying away from that.

Tie, I wouldn't go light blue for an interview personally, but it's unremarkable enough that you'll be fine if the pattern isn't outlandish. Silk is good, even if the stuff sold at macys generally isn't the best quality. Something to address as you build your wardrobe though.

Shoes. Black is best for interviews, though it's probably not going to matter a damn whit. Still, one old guy in 100 may find it inappropriate. While odds are good that it won't matter, you'll want multiple pairs of dress shoes anyway just to have a little variation and to keep the shoes in good shape- you want to let the shoe dry out for a day before wearing it again. And by the way, while more important for natural materials, that's good advice for any shoe. So add a pair of conservative black shoes. Allen Edmonds are good if you can spring for it now, but nobody's going to hold cheap against you when you're young and broke, but get something that's fairly classically styled. Basically, get yourself a captoe.

lgc400

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the input, I will post a picture of the shoes etc. when I pick it up and you can tell me if I should scrap the shoes or not. Also, this is a non-clothing related question: What would be your impression of a recent college grad (mid 20's) that came to the interview in a brand new Mercedes coupe? Positive, negative, indifferent? It would probably be obvious it's my car (and not my parents) due to the styling and the fact that it's a coupe. I'm wondering if maybe I should borrow a modest car for the interview to be safe, but then again maybe it would be a positive impression I don't know.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok thanks for the input, I will post a picture of the shoes etc. when I pick it up and you can tell me if I should scrap the shoes or not. Also, this is a non-clothing related question: What would be your impression of a recent college grad (mid 20's) that came to the interview in a brand new Mercedes coupe? Positive, negative, indifferent? It would probably be obvious it's my car (and not my parents) due to the styling and the fact that it's a coupe. I'm wondering if maybe I should borrow a modest car for the interview to be safe, but then again maybe it would be a positive impression I don't know.

what gives you the impression that they will see your car?

And why, if you can afford a new c-coupe (guessing) are you buying ecco shoes and Tommy hill suits

Last edited:

lgc400

Reaction score
If you know of where I could get a really expensive suit at a deep discount (that would fit properly) please let me know. I am as clueless with suit shopping as a soccer mom is car shopping. I am most concerned with value, I will spend more on a suit but only if I am getting a deal.

If this post repeats another I made I apologize one got held for moderation for some reason so I made this one and it showed up right away.

Last edited:

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

what gives you the impression that they will see your car?

And why, if you can afford a new c-coupe (guessing) are you buying ecco shoes and Tommy hill suits

I'm guessing its just his priorities. Some people just spend more on their wheels than their clothing, I have freinds who would rather pay **** for clothes and drive an Audi or BMW, different priorities.

If you know of where I could get a really expensive suit at a deep discount (that would fit properly) please let me know. I am as clueless with suit shopping as a soccer mom is car shopping. I am most concerned with value, I will spend more on a suit but only if I am getting a deal.

If this post repeats another I made I apologize one got held for moderation for some reason so I made this one and it showed up right away.

What kind of job are you interviewing for?

Also quadcammer outlined that getting a suit from Suit Supply is your best and easiest choice. Check out their website or find a shop nearby if there is one. They have several different RTW sizes for their suits and are well made for the price.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Its not about expensive, its about the suit fitting your body type. I can't just tell you to buy a Brooks brothers Milano cut suit because it might not fit in the shoulders, chest, or otherwise.

Point is that most people's suits don't fit them well, despite their thinking that they do. If you think the TH fits you well, post up some well lit pics and we'll let you know. If it fits good, then leave it be. If it doesn't, then pursue other options.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm guessing its just his priorities. Some people just spend more on their wheels than their clothing, I have freinds who would rather pay **** for clothes and drive an Audi or BMW, different priorities.

I guess I just see imbalance there. If you drive up in a mercedes wearing aldos and a $200 suit, it will seem someone incongruent (read: car poor).

I'm a huge car enthusiast, but generally like to keep a consistency in my lifestyle.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How is saving a few hundred dollars on a couple of suits going to make a difference in being able to afford a $30,000+ car (depending on what model you go with)? I get not going to Saville Row and spending hundreds of dollars on pants, but the difference between a Tommy Hilfiger suit on sale and even a BB 1818 on sale is about $400. Difference between Aldos and Allen Edmonds is maybe $200. I get different priorities and all that, and in some places your car matters way more than your clothes, but this strikes me as a false choice.

I guess I just see imbalance there. If you drive up in a mercedes wearing aldos and a $200 suit, it will seem someone incongruent (read: car poor).

I'm a huge car enthusiast, but generally like to keep a consistency in my lifestyle.

+1. I don't really get this.

lgc400

Reaction score
Well the original sticker price was supposedly $650, I definitely don't want a "$200" suit, I thought I was getting a deal. If the thing is going to appear to be a $200 suit then I will definitely return it and look at other options.

As far as priorities, yes. I buy nice clothes for when I go out (dates, business meetings etc) but if I am going to the grocery store I wear a Walmart plain white T shirt under a North Face jacket. I keep name brand stuff around for special occasions but since I don't have a girlfriend I can effectively wear the same "nice" stuff every week if I am hanging out with a new girl lol.

I would ideally like to get a suit that is about on par with the car brand wise (i.e. if there is a Kia and a Ferrari in the suit world, give me the Mercedes suit). It is a C coupe, but the one I got was actually higher MSRP than the base SLK. I was going to get the SLK but from what I read people thought it was too girly and the E coupe looked too grandma like. And obviously if I could afford an SL I'd probably also have my own personal assistant who would be researching this for me hahaha

Last edited:

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How is saving a few hundred dollars on a couple of suits going to make a difference in being able to afford a $30,000+ car (depending on what model you go with)? I get not going to Saville Row and spending hundreds of dollars on pants, but the difference between a Tommy Hilfiger suit on sale and even a BB 1818 on sale is about $400. Difference between Aldos and Allen Edmonds is maybe $200. I get different priorities and all that, and in some places your car matters way more than your clothes, but this strikes me as a false choice.

It's just people's mentality. They put more value in the price of the car than they put value in the price of a pair of Allen Edmonds. Personal valuation based on perception and knowledge. A friend of mine doesn't see the value in a pair of Allen Edmonds, probably has no clue that the leather has been cut in the same factory in Illinois since before the 1920s, that the construction involves a good portion of manual labor and attention to detail. The same friend sees the value in German engineering and various marketing and advertising geared to make us think that a Mercedes and german engineering will make us prouder, attractive, better in some way etc...

That's why you will find people with these imbalances..

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well the original sticker price was supposedly $650, I definitely don't want a "$200" suit, I thought I was getting a deal. If the thing is going to appear to be a $200 suit then I will definitely return it and look at other options.

As far as priorities, yes. I buy nice clothes for when I go out (dates, business meetings etc) but if I am going to the grocery store I wear a Walmart plain white T shirt under a North Face jacket. I keep name brand stuff around for special occasions but since I don't have a girlfriend I can effectively wear the same "nice" stuff every week if I am hanging out with a new girl lol.

I would ideally like to get a suit that is about on par with the car brand wise (i.e. if there is a Kia and a Ferrari in the suit world, give me the Mercedes suit). It is a C coupe, but the one I got was actually higher MSRP than the base SLK. I was going to get the SLK but from what I read people thought it was too girly and the E coupe looked too grandma like. And obviously if I could afford an SL I'd probably also have my own personal assistant who would be researching this for me hahaha

I could slap any MSRP on a suit I wanted to. i bet not one person has paid $650 for the TH suit.

Bottom line, post pics of you wearing the thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads