• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a personal stylist in Melbourne

Sonny Black

Reaction score
Hi, I need a personal stylist. Although I've gotten many useful tip and resources on the SF, I'm still not comfortable in putting all together. If you know of any good personal stylists in Melbourne, can you please let me know. Alternatively, if a stylish SF member wants a challenge or think they can personally help, PM me.
worship.gif

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sonny Black
Sator, are you out there?

That might have actually been a bit of a joke.

Sator lives in Sydney, and he prefers a very "classic" style - three piece suits in heavy cloth, balmoral boots, and so on. He's enormously knowledgeable about men's clothing, including how it is made, and has a treasure trove of historic material. However, asking him for advice on how to dress might not be all that useful to you unless you wish to dress very formally (well, at least that's how it would be regarded nowadays).

If there's a Melbourne get-together for Styleforumites in the near future, you should go along to it and have a chat to the other members. I am sure that some of them would be happy to talk with you about clothing choices, matching shirts to suits and so on.

Ultimately though, such choices are very personal. Some people prefer very plain outfits - navy suit, white shirt, white pocket square, dark tie, black shoes - whereas others prefer more colour and more patterns in their outfits. It will take time before you get an idea as to where your personal preferences lie.

One thing that could help - apart from observing other people whom you might see in Melbourne - is to check the "What are you wearing right now?" (WAYWRN) thread which is pinned at the top of this subforum. Some of the looks are conservative and some are quite daring or different. Having a look at the way that different people dress, and the way in which they mix and match patterns, colours, and cloths, will give you some ideas for your own wardrobe.

Frosty

Reaction score
Hi Sonny,

I'm based in Melbourne and could possibly point you in the right direction. If you are after business attire I suggest you pop into Harrolds and ask to speak with Joe in the upstairs suit section.

They have a excellent range including some of the most recognised labels in the world; Brioni, Kiton etc. However unless they are on sale (which does happen 2-4 times a year) you're looking at spending $5-10k for a suit, shirt and acessories. However they do have 50-70% sales which are an absolute bargain.

Ulitmately it does depend on your budget, the lifestyle you are looking to cater for as well and what you're comfortable with.

Good luck.

Frosty

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a few Melbourne-based image consultants listed on the AICI website. . None of the consultants' sites inspire much confidence as to the ability to help men. Of course, there are consultants not listed there and also "stylists." Google shows some of them. Who knows what you might get. You always have the option below.

Star

Reaction score
The very first thing a stylist should tell you is 'proper fit is everything'. If you have up to now business shirts that fit like 'parachutes' and jackets like 'table cloths', then it might be time to start thinking about retiring them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads