• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy blazer

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How old are you? Is this for work? If not, have you considered a simple vest as an alternative to a sportcoat?

purelook

Reaction score
Hello,

I am 26 and I guess I am looking for something to wear out in town (with casual pants or jeans), not so much on official occasions.

Isn't a vest too formal?

Regards,
Anastas

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a separate, worn without a jacket, and your sleeves rolled up. It's a nice casual look worth considering with jeans or casual slacks.

Consider your weather, but for a jacket, you might try something in linen.

cpac

Reaction score
It's a classic look, very versatile. If you have the cash, I'd invest in something better than the J.Crew coat, since its a classic you might keep for the rest of your life...

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quality on that JCrew jacket is going to be mediocre. Don't know if that's the top of your price range, but it's a lot of money for that jacket, in my opinion. There are also a LOT of blazers on eBay and in thrift stores to be had for less than 10% of that jacket.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by purelook
Can you recommend any good vests in the 150$ range?

Thanks

Where are you based?

purelook

Reaction score
I am in Eastern Europe and we do not have any good stores here, so my only option is ebay and stores in NYC (a friend can make the purchase for me)

The bad thing of course is I cannot try it on, so I have to rely on the size chart. And unfortunately 250-300 is the top I can afford right now.

Regards,
Anastas

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For that amount you might try to have something tailored. I picked up one in Cannes from Gauthier for 205 euros, and that should be considered the high end.

purelook

Reaction score
I think that would be nice, but not possible at the moment. Last week I went to a tailor to have a black cotton sportcoat taken in the waist. He did a horrible job, in my view, and I made him undo it. So I'd rather order something my size I know would be decent.

profjmb

Reaction score
Everyone should have a navy blazer. I think that vests can't touch 'em in versatility or style. The fact that you don't have one and don't really know what you want supports your purchasing a less expensive one, for now. J Crew will last you a few years, and in the meantime you can decide how you like to wear it. People on this list gravitate toward things that'll last forever, but spending lots of extra money for that doesn't always make sense....

purelook

Reaction score
Size is 42L.
I liked the jcrew one because it looks simple and has clean lines (at least looking at the photo) And I thought the material will be ok. But if anyone can suggest a better one I will look at it.

Thanks for your help,
Anastas

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by profjmb
Everyone should have a navy blazer. I think that vests can't touch 'em in versatility or style. The fact that you don't have one and don't really know what you want supports your purchasing a less expensive one, for now. J Crew will last you a few years, and in the meantime you can decide how you like to wear it. People on this list gravitate toward things that'll last forever, but spending lots of extra money for that doesn't always make sense....

I completely disagree with this about a navy blazer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads