• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy blazer

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The JCrew one isn't going to be terrible--I've seen it in the store and it's passable, but the material and construction are just mediocre, and I don't think it will wear well over time. It's just that if you're not in a rush, you can certainly do a lot better either at retail/online sales, or second hand through eBay. If you'd consider double breasted, this one looks great:

http://cgi.ebay.com/As-New-Superb-CA...QQcmdZViewItem

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
The JCrew one isn't going to be terrible--I've seen it in the store and it's passable, but the material and construction are just mediocre, and I don't think it will wear well over time. It's just that if you're not in a rush, you can certainly do a lot better either at retail/online sales, or second hand through eBay. If you'd consider double breasted, this one looks great:

http://cgi.ebay.com/As-New-Superb-CA...QQcmdZViewItem

I'll second the e-Bay suggestion. That will let you check the measurements before buying, too.

J. Crew is the only retail store where I've seen a fused coat with bubbled lapel. I assume it just slipped through quality control, but I still found it surprising. Only a couple of months ago, too.

purelook

Reaction score
Thank you.
I will definitely wait for something good on ebay. Single breasted coat is more versatile and easier to match with other clothes, so I will choose it over the double breasted one.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by purelook
Hi everyone,

I am considering purchasing a nice navy blazer which can fit equally well with dress trousers, khaki color pants or jeans. What I have in mind is this one:

http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product...atId=cat102054

What are your thoughts, does anybody have the same one?

Depending on where you are in Eastern Europe, a train to Berlin, Vienna, or maybe Prague (?) to go thrifting/outlet hunting would be a much better alternative than the J Crew jacket.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

purelook

Reaction score
You are right, I have already decided against the J.Crew model.

The outlet hunting idea is really good, thank you. Flights are also cheaper this time of the season to all Central Europe, so it might work.

The Cifonelli coat looks amazing, the price is amazing too. However it is 2 inches shorter for my height.

Thanks for your input!

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Maybe you'd also consider this? It's a more modern cut and fit, and tweed can get you anywhere from casual to dressed up. Additionally, this seller has a lot of items in 42, so you might be in luck.

profjmb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
I completely disagree with this about a navy blazer.

Well Johnapril. I will fight, and if necessary die, for your right to say incorrect things.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just something to consider....i don't know if you're a 40reg, but consider that this blazer from J. Crew is $300, and THIS blazer is about $600

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-2695-Polo-Ra...QQcmdZViewItem

...this one, size 36Regular, will probably go for less than $100:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

...and this one is $350
http://cgi.ebay.com/classic-Kiton-Bl...QQcmdZViewItem

I guess my point is....$300 for a J. Crew blazer seems like a lot, for what you're getting, in terms of construction and fit.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Ew. I definitely like the Kiton better than that Zegna. The lines are all... wrong on it.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This thread contains some of the most bizarre advice ever. (Some good, too, though.)

If you just want a serviceable SB navy blazer, give us your sizes and we can find you one on ebay or at a thrift shop that will be the best deal you can get. Best would be to measure a jacket that fits you well. See A. Harris's post about measuring for ebay in the sticky "Best of/FAQ thread".

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
This thread contains some of the most bizarre advice ever.

Seriously. A relative newbie shouldn't be thrust straight into DBs odd coats. He had the right idea with the J Crew blazer, though not the right maker. Stick to a similar SB, simple navy-ish fabric.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped wearing navy blazers in the tenth grade. And this guy's 26. What is it with these navy blazers you're all wearing? I never see anyone wearing a navy blazer in Europe. Is this an American thing? Like khakis and bombers with tennis shoes on guys in their fifties?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads