• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy Blazer by Committee (aka Garment by Groupthink)

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had a lovely piece of cloth from Dormeuil in a wool/ mohair hopsack waiting to be made up for a few months now. I currently have a navy wool/ cotton herringbone jacket with a soft shoulder, 3 roll 2 and patch pockets, and a Lambswool/ Cashmere blend jacket in the same configuration, except it has a shirt shoulder. They are both pretty soft and casual and I like them both. I have been thinking that I "need" a more formal Navy jacket, so I have been playing around with different ideas for this piece of cloth. Here's where I'm at currently, and there may be some Tom Ford influence going on right now:

• One Button (Either MOP or maybe flat gold)
  • Peak lapel
  • Roped shoulder
  • Patch or Besom pockets
  • Side Vents
I have a couple of peak lapel suits, but no jackets. I thought it might be fun to do something different, but I also dont want an abomination on my hands. I asked my wife (who couldnt care less about any of this) what she thought, and she said I should go ask my internet friends... So, I thought I would discuss with the managing committee and see what thoughts you guys have for a formal Navy jacket. Discuss...

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
internet friends

giphy.gif

yanagi

Reaction score
I think these days any blazer is high up on the lay formality scale, even if it has casual features like a shirt shoulder and patch pockets. That said, I suppose you could go for a double-breasted blazer with (default) peak lapels, a roped shoulder, and besom pockets.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had a lovely piece of cloth from Dormeuil in a wool/ mohair hopsack waiting to be made up for a few months now. I currently have a navy wool/ cotton herringbone jacket with a soft shoulder, 3 roll 2 and patch pockets, and a Lambswool/ Cashmere blend jacket in the same configuration, except it has a shirt shoulder. They are both pretty soft and casual and I like them both. I have been thinking that I "need" a more formal Navy jacket, so I have been playing around with different ideas for this piece of cloth. Here's where I'm at currently, and there may be some Tom Ford influence going on right now:

• Peak lapel
  • Roped shoulder
  • Patch or Besom pockets
  • Side Vents
I have a couple of peak lapel suits, but no jackets. I thought it might be fun to do something different, but I also dont want an abomination on my hands. I asked my wife (who couldnt care less about any of this) what she thought, and she said I should go ask my internet friends... So, I thought I would discuss with the managing committee and see what thoughts you guys have for a formal Navy jacket. Discuss...

I don't really love the idea of a SB peak lapel blazer for some reason (I generally don't like SB peak odd jackets period, and it seems wrong for a blazer in particular). But if you do, besom pockets, patch pockets would just be wrong on a Fordish uber-sharp coat.

That said I think a structured, roped shoulder, tight armhole, notch single button blazer would look very nice.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a navy peak lapel blazer. Other than my tuxedo, it gets the least wear.

Gold buttons always feel so fuddy duddy to me. Holland & Sherry has some neat button makeups.

Other details seem solid.

emptym

Reaction score
I think single button, peak lapel jackets can work for a younger guy's fun suits or maybe a velvet sport coat for parties.

But, for your purpose and fabric, I'd go with notch lapels, pick stitching, two patch pockets, and natural shoulders. Imo, one, two, or three buttons would be fine for the front. You could start with one and add more if you want. And single or side vents would be fine imo, but I'd go with side too.

Last edited:

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think single button, peak lapel jackets can work for a younger guy's fun suits or maybe a velvet sport coat for parties.

For this, I'd go with notch lapels, pick stitching, two patch pockets, and natural shoulders. Imo, one, two, or three buttons would be fine for the front. You could start with one and add more if you want. And single or side vents would be fine imo, but I'd go with side too.

I love the jacket you are describing, but I feel like I have two examples of this style. The only difference would be if I used a different shoulder treatment on this one. I havent ruled out a notch, but I was looking for a more formal, perhaps more structured style than my usual coats.

Last edited:

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think these days any blazer is high up on the lay formality scale, even if it has casual features like a shirt shoulder and patch pockets. That said, I suppose you could go for a double-breasted blazer with (default) peak lapels, a roped shoulder, and besom pockets.

Double breasted is not an option. I run far too hot for that and the open double breasted look doesnt do it for me.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
  • Peak lapel
  • Roped shoulder
  • Patch or Besom pockets
  • Side Vents
Aside from the side vents and possibly the besom pockets,
I would eliminate all other options. As for Tom Ford, Ditto.

vida

Reaction score
I know the Tom Ford jacket and it is sharp, but that look may be farther down the line (blazer 5 or 6) in terms of usefulness due to its appearance.
My suggestion: 2 button, flap pockets with a ticket pocket, high armholes, clean chest, double vents.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
IMO, silhouette trumps stylistic details. Instead of trying to fill a hole by messing with the details, I would stick with the same details -- notch lapel, 3/2 roll, and patch pockets -- and just get a different silhouette.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO, silhouette trumps stylistic details. Instead of trying to fill a hole by messing with the details, I would stick with the same details -- notch lapel, 3/2 roll, and patch pockets -- and just get a different silhouette.

This is pretty good advice. Most of my jackets these days are pretty soft, and I was sort of picturing this one as more structured. Thats what led me to the roped shoulder, more formal vibe, but I can see your point about not changing everything.

I'll start looking for some images of structured notch, 3/2 jackets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads