• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nautica

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what you guys think of Nautica. Myself, I think it seems like a nice value for a lower price point. The sportswear stuff, khakis, polos, -- seems like good quality for the price. I was thinking about picking up a couple of heavier long-sleeved polos at a local boutique, but was wondering if anyone had any opinions beforehand. Zegna it's not, but it seems like good quality for the price.

F4iryder14

Reaction score
Stu,

I have a couple of Nautica polo shirts that I have had for a couple of years and they have held up fine.  I think Nautica is a good middle of the road brand, and I really like their use of cream colors/off white and their plaids.  You won't get many people on this forum to say they like Nautica because it's not made in Italy or doesn't cost $150 for a simple shirt, but if you're like myself and don't want to get into debt buying clothes, then there is nothing wrong with Nautica.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not a fan of their clothing that is aimed at the late teen-age crowd (even though I'm 18 myself). I like a lot of their more casual and slightly dressy clothes. I have a great spring jacket made by them that I can't wait to start wearing again.

Joe G

Reaction score
You won't get many people on this forum to say they like Nautica because it's not made in Italy or doesn't cost $150 for a simple shirt
Oh please. This is the second time today that you've posted such drivel. Please get over yourself, sir.

Peace,

JG

F4iryder14

Reaction score
Please get over myself?  Read what I wrote again.  I am DEFENDING the idea of buying cheap(er) clothes, which it seems like no one on this forum has done yet (or at least I haven't found a posting yet, I might have missed it).  Stu's original posting had been up for about 2 days, read by over 50 people, and nobody had commented on his simple question.  Why?  You mean to tell me no one that read it had any comments on Nautica clothing?  No, that would seem to back up the reasons that I stated in my first reply, that nobody on here ever has many positive comments about anything that is not at least 3 figures for fear of looking unfashionable or too much like the norm or something; I'm not positive of the reasons.  I'm just trying to give a voice and opinion to people like myself (maybe you're rich Stu, I have no idea) that can't afford the big money clothes, which is what seems to dominate a lot of the postings.  I could care less what people wear and for what reasons, and I apologize if I have offended or unfairly grouped someone, but don't yell at me for commenting on what ideas are plainly obvious to anybody that looks hard at the postings on this site.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmmm...

Well I don't have anything against wearing basics from brands like Nautica or Polo. However I think these brands are ripping people off.

The highest markups in the industry are made by designers like Armani. I doubt if Armani's cost on a Black Label shirt is more than $15 - $20. In fact I've got an order form somewhere for the Italian company that used to make shirts for Ralph Lauren Purple Label, T&A, etc. If you buy 10 shirts or so you can get them for about $30.00 each. And those shirts are nicer than most Black Labels. Yet Armani gets $300+ for a Black Label shirt. Or $2000 for what's really a $1000 Vestimenta suit. You're buying a name and a (sometimes excellent) design philosophy.

Brands like Nautica and Polo aren't much better. Most all their merchandise is mass produced in China or Hong Kong or Malaysia etc. They aren't paying much for it. Probably less than $5 for a shirt they sell for $40. So again, you are buying a name.

A lot of us love high end clothing, even very high end clothing. I'm sure some buy it solely on the basis of image. But just as many of us buy it because it represents the best value out there. A Borrelli shirt for instance requires 6 hours of skilled labor to produce. 20+ hours for a Brioni suit or a pair of Mantellassi shoes. And they are made from the very best materials. Sure, they are expensive, but at least you are getting something for your money. Not to mention that these garments last forever.

That being said - the only reason to pay $3000 for a suit, or $300 for a shirt, or $750 for a pair of shoes is if you have more money than time. With a little education and effort you can buy Borrelli at a Nautica price. A surprising number of us are doing it. And that's value..

davei

Reaction score
Please get over myself? Read what I wrote again. I am DEFENDING the idea of buying cheap(er) clothes, which it seems like no one on this forum has done yet (or at least I haven't found a posting yet, I might have missed it). Stu's original posting had been up for about 2 days, read by over 50 people, and nobody had commented on his simple question. Why? You mean to tell me no one that read it had any comments on Nautica clothing? No, that would seem to back up the reasons that I stated in my first reply, that nobody on here ever has many positive comments about anything that is not at least 3 figures for fear of looking unfashionable or too much like the norm or something; I'm not positive of the reasons. I'm just trying to give a voice and opinion to people like myself (maybe you're rich Stu, I have no idea) that can't afford the big money clothes, which is what seems to dominate a lot of the postings. I could care less what people wear and for what reasons, and I apologize if I have offended or unfairly grouped someone, but don't yell at me for commenting on what ideas are plainly obvious to anybody that looks hard at the postings on this site.
I'll give you credit for lurking for 5 months before trolling, but you really have to learn to check your attitude at the door. If you remember the Jantzen fiasco, you'll find the majority of regulars here are more concerned with quality, whatever the price point.

Keep reading the archives. You'll find that most questions are answered with civility, honesty, and without airs - look at the countless answers to the "first suit" or "interview wear" type of question. There's really no need to be defensive about anything. Recommend whatever you like, but if your ego can't handle the mention of Kiton, Borrelli, or Zegna, you might want to hang out elsewhere.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted a fight and a thread broke out.

No, F4iryder14, Stu is definitely not rich. But he probably has a bit more money than time.

I posted this thread because I saw a long-sleeved polo I really need, (and like), from Nautica in a local boutique. I have some of their stuff -- a sport jacket which I like, for one. But this boutique is horribly overpriced. I'm embarrased to say how much they want for this polo, although it is less than $100, but not way way way less, like it should be.

If it was a question of merely liking it, I could be more picky and dig around a bit. But I really need it, and I don't have time to dig through Marshalls every day for the next 3 months for when I can finally get it for $20.

aybojs

Reaction score
I second what A. Harris said about the ratio of value to price. Yes, the retail price of a Nautica or Polo item is significantly lower than that of a Brioni, Kiton, etc; but as the popularity of such threads as the "best style under $30" or the thrift store and ebay discussions indicate, most of the people here wouldn't pay exhorbitant prices for any article clothing, regardless of quality. Of course this practice takes a lot more time, effort, and knowledge than just walking into a department store and whipping out a credit card, but it's not difficult to get a much higher quality item for the (full) price of a Nautica, and if I saw a Nautica item I liked on sale under $10 at TJ Maxx, I'd buy it without reservation).

F4iryder14

Reaction score
Good point Dave.  I really haven't run into anybody on this site that has been mean or rude, and I apologize once again if I was.  Even the postings I have made concerning questions I had about lower end shoes I bought and jeans and stuff like that, I was not ridiculed like I thought (or would have been at a forum like GQ or something).  And like you guys, I NEVER pay full retail for any of the stuff I have got, Polo or otherwise.  I sometimes surprise myself at the deals I find.  Didn't mean to be a prick guys, I just got off on a little rant to defend my man Ralph =-). I have to, 3/4 of the s*** in my closet is from him.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmmm, have you read the new biography on ralph lauren, it may be a bit eye opening to you.

Joe G

Reaction score
Please get over myself?

Yep. No need to sound so bitter.

Read what I wrote again.  I am DEFENDING the idea of buying cheap(er) clothes, which it seems like no one on this forum has done yet (or at least I haven't found a posting yet, I might have missed it).

There are several posts around on getting great clothes for low cash outlay. See the "What are you wearing today" thread for a few. You will, however, note that most of these involve discounted couture pieces and/or thrift store finds.

Besides, as Andrew pointed out, cheap(er) is a continuum. What's cheaper, a Nautica/Polo RL/Tommy tie for US$40 (or whatever) at Macy's, or a Kiton seven-fold tie discounted to the same price at an outlet? Well, the Kiton uses better materials and the quality of its construction is in a whole 'nother league, so most people would say that the outlet Kiton tie is by far a better deal than the high street price Nautica/Polo/Tommy tie.

Why?  You mean to tell me no one that read it had any comments on Nautica clothing?

Not to speak for anyone else, but I don't have any comments on it, good or bad. Except for their logo'ed stuff, which is as tacky as anyone else's. Sometimes moreso, in cases where the logos are bigger.

that nobody on here ever has many positive comments about anything that is not at least 3 figures for fear of looking unfashionable or too much like the norm or something;

Here are some search terms you can look up that may disspell that feeling: Zara, Sisley, Banana Republic (aka BR), H&M. Also look up thrift and vintage stores for lots of discussion on interesting finds that didn't cost lots of money.

None of those marques (particularly H&M) are that expensive, certainly no more so than the big box store "high end" brands like Nautica, Polo RL, or Tommy. But all of them seem to have design staffs (or to be fair, often counterfeiting staffs) that cater more to people who take more interest in what they're wearing rather than people who care more about the logo covering what they're wearing.

(OK, Sisley does have lots of annoying logoed t-shirts. I don't like or buy those, either.)

Peace,

JG

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
biggrin.gif
This whole thing reminded me that I really like a lot of Nautica's ties. The woven ones to be specific - they look great and knot perfectly. I was wearing one today - a two-tone gold/rust with golden orange polka dots. It's one of my favorite ties. I've also got one in the perfect shade of solid red. It's just about the only red tie I own and also it's the tie I've owned the longest. Over three years to be specific. In my wardrobe that might as well be forever - I sell everything in the end. So I guess I'm a Nautica fan
smile.gif

F4iryder14

Reaction score
You are right Joe.  Please refer to my second posting on the 27th, not sure if you saw it. I tried to explain what I said a little more in that one.

Kevin

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads