• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nau (Eco Friendly Activewear and Outdoor Clothing)

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Purely based on that info, I think the Modus would be better for you. It's longer, for one, which makes a big diff in cold weather in general, but esp when wearing city attire and commuting, etc. And, it's made for exactly what you're describing. It will perform like serious outerwear, but with a more urban vibe. Disclaimer: I haven't worn the Modus except to try on.

The Asylum is a superior technical piece, but if you don't ski/board it's probably not as ideal for what you'll use it for most. Compared to most tech outdoor outerwear/shells, it's waaaay toned-down and urban, but it's still an on-mountain jacket at its heart.

Your call. Also depends on your crowd. Non-profit, younger/hipper work force and scene? Or trying to roll with dark suit/red-or-blue tie crowd? Or maybe that's absurd....

StotheMC

Reaction score
I agree with everything oboy_oboy said. I have both the Asylum jacket and Modus trench. While I wouldn't take the trench out on the mountain snowboarding, it definitely works with jeans/boots as well as over work clothes.

Meanwhile, I think the asylum jacket would look pretty incongruous over any business/business casual dress, though it's great for winter sports and casual wear. I'm very happy with both, but I think the trench matches what you're going for best.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ahjota
Crosspost from the Recent Purchases thread, although I'm pretty sure Zissou has had his down shirt for a while now:
Hah, yeah, I have had that down shirt for a couple years now. It saved ****** in the Grand Canyon that week because it was unseasonably cold. I even wore it to sleep in my zero degree bag. It packs down to the size of a grapefruit, and the button up collar is key.

You guys are making me realize I should wear my Asylum jacket more often. If only the Asylum pants were bibs...

Kafkaesque

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
Hah, yeah, I have had that down shirt for a couple years now. It saved ****** in the Grand Canyon that week because it was unseasonably cold. I even wore it to sleep in my zero degree bag. It packs down to the size of a grapefruit, and the button up collar is key.

You guys are making me realize I should wear my Asylum jacket more often. If only the Asylum pants were bibs...

do you find yourself wearing your asylum jacket both to work, casually, and in winter activities?

i feel like i'm the kind of dude that a trench just wouldnt look good on despite my build
redface.gif

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate to admit it, but I rarely ever wear it. I'm much more likely to wear my Nigel Cabourn Cameraman to work, and I have a lightweight 3-layer Montbell goretex jacket that I wear for outdoor activities (although, I usually just wear a soft shell). The Asylum would be great for skiing, as it has all kinds of pockets, including one for skins. I'll wear the hell out of it when I get out and do more tele skiing. Since you mentioned it, I'll actually wear it to work today
smile.gif
It's a nasty, rainy day.

Kafkaesque

Reaction score
also, what do you guys think of the blazing jacket and the shroud of purrin hoody?

one thing i'm also worried about with the modus trench is that it doesn't have any pit vents whereas the other trench on the site (the succint) does.

i tend to sweat in the armpit area so i'm kinda wondering how this will work especially in wash. dc humidity.

also what do you guys think of the succint trench?

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kafkaesque, are you planning on wearing the Modus trench in the middle of the summer? I view it as a fall-to-spring piece.

Re: your other questions... I like the Blazing jacket. I don't like the SoP hoody. I like and have the Succinct trench. (Hint: Be specific.)

BrooklynHighpost

Reaction score
The Modus trench is just another trench with water and wind proof exterior right? I wouldn't think it would be a replacement for extreme cold weather, unless you layer inside. Not sure if it would be a replacement for the Blazing jacket.

enigma77

Reaction score
Correct. I have the modus trench and think it's great, although I paid nowhere near full retail for it. No insulation to speak of. The fit is slim-ish (I'm a slim size 38 and comfortably fit into a size small) with room for layering. I like it best with the hood off and the collar up, although obviously when it rains the hood helps.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Kafka,

After wearing my Asylum jacket all day, I remembered how much I like it. I think it would certainly be acceptable for your work. The styling and aesthetic are on par with some of the Veilance jackets. You can easily zip the hood off for more of a short trench look. It's fairly warm for a shell, as well. I am 6'2", 165lbs and the M fits me well. Mine is in Sea, which is a nice slate blue color.

Kafkaesque

Reaction score
excellent i think i'll get it.

Originally Posted by zissou
Hey Kafka,

After wearing my Asylum jacket all day, I remembered how much I like it. I think it would certainly be acceptable for your work. The styling and aesthetic are on par with some of the Veilance jackets. You can easily zip the hood off for more of a short trench look. It's fairly warm for a shell, as well. I am 6'2", 165lbs and the M fits me well. Mine is in Sea, which is a nice slate blue color.

Kafkaesque

Reaction score
i may honestly just get both the asylum and the modus like another poster has, seems like both would be fitting in respective situations.

Kafkaesque

Reaction score
it should say on the site under the section labeled "fit and material", it's probably a regular. and a nau regular isn't slim fit but it's a modern fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads