• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nau (Eco Friendly Activewear and Outdoor Clothing)

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif
Also, anything that is currently 50% off in their sale section is another 50% off with the code.

brimley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Becks23
Anybody have experience with the Succint Trench?

Looking for a technical material trench coat.

I own a nau trench (almost positive it's the Succinct), very nice piece. Kept me dry in a week of Pacific Northwest camping during the rainy season. Nice details like zippered cuffs, nice hood. I think trench length is great for a shell/raincoat. Aesthetically, it's pretty good, cut roomy enough for layers. I got it in brown and wish I had it in black.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ That's another Nau jacket I wouldn't mind having, in caviar maybe.

Nau's strength is definitely in their outerwear.

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Best Budz
Anyone have any experience with the Shroud of Purin jacket?

I just found this thread, and I'll try to weigh in when I can. Full disclosure: I worked at Nau for the first two years of the co., up until they went out of biz/got bought by Horny Toad. I have only good things to say about it all, but I'm well aware that some of the clothes had/have issues.

RE: Shroud of Purin jacket. This piece is a great urban shell, and good front-country piece (resort area skiing). The fabric is insanely soft on the interior, and sheds water/snow well. The SOP fabric is really awesome. Not truly waterproof, but very resistant. Fairly typical Nau fit, w/ longer slimmer sleeves, and a fitted body, with room for light layers, but not bulky sweaters, etc. Also, if you have large biceps ,the upper arm might be quite snug on you. The high collar rocks. My pet peeve is the hem is a little wide for the overall cut of the body, and it lacks a drawcord to snug it in. It's not a huge deal, but it's a weak spot. The newer SOP Hoody addresses this. I've tried the hoody on, but do not own.

Due to my previous time there, I own almost every jacket in the line, w/ the exception of some of the most recent releases (SOP Hoody, Rebound), and can comment on them fit-wise as well as performance-wise. I'll chime in more if/when people post more questions I can help with.

Zissou already got the most recent promo up in this thread, so that's what's up right now for deals.

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Becks23
Anybody have experience with the Succint Trench?

Looking for a technical material trench coat.

For a lightweight, truly waterproof-breathable trench (as opposed to more classic trench-styles in coated cotton, etc. ) this jacket is exceptional. Performance-wise, it's on par with most technical 2.5 layer shells in the market. I wear mine in the Pac NW spring as the staple urban rain piece. It also makes an excellent travel shell, too, since it packs down to about the size of modest dopp kit, takes up very little room in a bag, and has a pretty minimalist style/vibe that works well in both urban and more remote areas.

Fit wise, it's a touch less fitted than most Nau outerwear, w/ slightly larger arms (a plus IMO) and a bit more room in the body for layers. Given that it is a stripped down style, there's not a lot of adjustment possible. The hood hides away in the collar (good design) and the cuffs have zips, but there's no way to cinch the waist. I don't mind this, but this piece does not have the same slimmed-down silhouette as most Nau pieces. It's not baggy, just has a little more room.

Again, just for the record, I used to work for Nau. I no longer work for/with them, but my opinions are influenced by this, and as such I'm more of an advocate than a critic. But, I own and use (often heavily, and in the backcountry) a lot of the clothing, and I'm not just a cheerleader.

Becks23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oboy_oboy
For a lightweight, truly waterproof-breathable trench (as opposed to more classic trench-styles in coated cotton, etc. ) this jacket is exceptional. Performance-wise, it's on par with most technical 2.5 layer shells in the market. I wear mine in the Pac NW spring as the staple urban rain piece. It also makes an excellent travel shell, too, since it packs down to about the size of modest dopp kit, takes up very little room in a bag, and has a pretty minimalist style/vibe that works well in both urban and more remote areas.

Fit wise, it's a touch less fitted than most Nau outerwear, w/ slightly larger arms (a plus IMO) and a bit more room in the body for layers. Given that it is a stripped down style, there's not a lot of adjustment possible. The hood hides away in the collar (good design) and the cuffs have zips, but there's no way to cinch the waist. I don't mind this, but this piece does not have the same slimmed-down silhouette as most Nau pieces. It's not baggy, just has a little more room.

Again, just for the record, I used to work for Nau. I no longer work for/with them, but my opinions are influenced by this, and as such I'm more of an advocate than a critic. But, I own and use (often heavily, and in the backcountry) a lot of the clothing, and I'm not just a cheerleader.

Thanks for the breakdown! Unfortunately I just pulled the trigger on a similar piece in a Gore-Tex Pac-lite trench (which was unfortunately a lot more expensive).

denimaddict

Reaction score
What do you think of the Shelter jacket? I am looking for a jacket for the days that it pour rain here in New Orleans. Does it fit slim? Thanks

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimaddict
What do you think of the Shelter jacket? I am looking for a jacket for the days that it pour rain here in New Orleans. Does it fit slim? Thanks

Shelter is a sweet piece. It fits slim, as most Nau jackets do, but is not constricting. It's lightweight, and perhaps the most technical lightweight shell in the line. One important thing: this jacket is cut short in the body (to accommodate a climbing harness, or pack straps). As a result, if you have a longer torso, it may be too short. This was/is the case for me, as such I don't have one, so I can't speak to long term performance.

If you're shorter, or high waisted, this will work killer. If you're tall and lean, or low waisted, this is the wrong jacket. Hope that helps.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd drop a note in this thread that I've got a Shroud of Purrin jacket size L, in the sea blue color, with minimal use that I'm thinking of selling. PM me if you're interested. Also, NWOT Succinct Trench for sale--see my sig link.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads