• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My modest shoe collection

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you think would be nice additions? I'm thinking of getting this pair. I know it's very unimaginative but still find the shoe quite attractive for business casual:
SFN3768_mh.jpg
For business casual? What do you mean? Selling French fries in a snack? If not, forget them. they are for sissies victim of fashion. Buy some normal shoes = black oxford from an honest shoemaker (Church's, Weston, Greens, Lobb, C&J, Albaladejo...)

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
This is my latest shoe purchase, looks very nice with a navy or even a black pin-stripe suit/pants. I'm in my early twenties and think these look a bit 'younger' than the shoes the Topic Starter posted.
They're really not for me, but Roy, all the right people seem not to like them. Â
biggrin.gif
 The color is great, the shape is too aggressive for what I wear. I would trust norcaltransplant on the construction issue. If he endorses it, I wouldn't worry about it. And just to prove that I have learned something from being on the forum, I can indentify those as "austerity" brogues. (with a tip o' the hat to jcusey)

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a blast in Galeries Lafayette on bd. Haussman, they have two separate warehouses. One for men, and one for women (about two times the size of the mens warehouse).

But they have a very nice shoe department with amongst others Santoni, Stefano Bi, Prada (not the best in terms of construction though) Church, and so many other brands.
GL is not a so good place for shoes. Poor choice, almost only cheap shoes, stupid and not motivated salesmen (a girl told me not to pleat the leather of the church i was trying.)

Try Madelios (a store only for men near La Madeleine), Old England or shops of brands you can not find everywhere (Aubercy, C&J and Albaladejo, Green, Lobb). You could negociate in small shops.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're really not for me, but Roy, all the right people seem not to like them. Â
biggrin.gif
 The color is great, the shape is too aggressive for what I wear. I would trust norcaltransplant on the construction issue. If he endorses it, I wouldn't worry about it. And just to prove that I have learned something from being on the forum, I can indentify those as "austerity" brogues. (with a tip o' the hat to jcusey)
Alan: I have the Edward Green version of the austerity brogue, the "Beaulieu", on last 888 in chestnut antique (thought I posted pics sometime ago but can't find them). Agree with Roy that the design is nice and sleek - you may find the Greens a bit 'tamer' than the Italian version.

jmswentworth

Reaction score

naturlaut

Reaction score
DSC04067.JPG
These are from the Orange Lined Santoni Fatte a Mano collection which means that the construction is something called Blake Rapid.
6.jpg
Sorry to be an ass here, but I don't think this is even the blake-rapid. Â I don't see the stitch on the edge of the sole. Â This is just blake, when the sole is stitched to the insole directly and no reinforcing stitch on the outside. Â This makes for some really light shoes, but I have doubts about the lifespan of such construction method ...

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ernest @ May 16 2005,08:04) For business casual? What do you mean? Selling French fries in a snack?
I love it...
biggrin.gif

There is no way to just make his stuff up. It is unbelieveable comic genius.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to be an ass here, but I don't think this is even the blake-rapid.  I don't see the stitch on the edge of the sole.  This is just blake, when the sole is stitched to the insole directly and no reinforcing stitch on the outside.  This makes for some really light shoes, but I have doubts about the lifespan of such construction method ...
You could very well be right, but one of the biggest Santoni distributors told me that the Orange Lined Santoni's are of Blake Rapid construction.

My knowledge of shoe construction is not enough to distinguish between blake rapid and blake.

They're really not for me, but Roy, all the right people seem not to like them.    The color is great, the shape is too aggressive for what I wear. I would trust norcaltransplant on the construction issue. If he endorses it, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm 22 now and a firm believer that people should dress their age. For more formal events I have normal plain oxfords by C&J. But otherwise I prefer shoes that are a bit more fashion forward.

Charles Rogers

Reaction score
(newyorker @ May 16 2005,13:10)
Originally Posted by ernest,May 16 2005,06:30
Originally Posted by newyorker,May 15 2005,01:17
Do you like them?
Not at all. But where are the shoetrees?

I would get offended if you weren't so funny
smile.gif
But you guys are definitely a patronizing bunch..
smile.gif

Offended by what ? 3) Loafer = casual so I hope you don't wear them with a suit. I don't like loafer because they look rather bad on feet (you see the socks, they open when you walk), they don't look masculine enough (looks like escarpins for women) and they are not dressy at all. Look at dressed up renecks in wedding or fiestas, what do they most of time wear ? Loafers . I may appreciate the shape of some loafer though but I dislike these ones as they are not shaped enough (look like a giant condom) and they look tacky because of the metal on them (look at me, I have designer shoes......) They would be great for a grandfather whose feets hurt.
I definatly agree with Ernest. Whenever I see Rednecks in weddings or at mexican parties, they are, without fail, wearing loafers. But I like the ferragamos alittle more than ernest. I definatly vote for the Chelsea boots, I am planning on picking up a pair (go great with jeans).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads