1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

My modest shoe collection

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by newyorker, May 14, 2005.

1. newyorker

newyorker Senior member

Hi, This is my modest shoe collection. I'm in my early twenties, working in New York City, and I wear business casual to work. [​IMG] If you're interested, from left to right: Brooks Brothers, ~$100 Polo Ralph Lauren (acquired today): ~$150 (retail: ~$300) Salvatore Ferragamo: ~$400 Andre Valentino: ~$50 (retail: ~$100) Do you like them? What do you think would be nice additions? I'm thinking of getting this pair. I know it's very unimaginative but still find the shoe quite attractive for business casual: [​IMG]

2. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

No wingtips?  That's suprising.  I'm a little older than you and I have black and 'cordovan' Florsheim models for work.

Concerning your possible loafer addtition:  I like the shoe personally and don't think its unimaginative.  I've been looking at an AE or Ferragamo model of a similar style.

3. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

I vote split toe blucher rather than another bit loafer, but that's just me.

Nice Polos and the Brooks are a good solid basic.

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Personally, I would not wear the Brooks to the office, and the cap toe is awfully formal for business casual. As for the pair you're thinking of getting, it seems quite similar to the Ferragamo. I'd suggest a plain brown blucher.

It might help if you elaborated a bit on what types of thing you're wearing to the office. Khakis and polo shirts? Button-downs without a tie? Sport coat or no sport coat?

5. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Certainly I agree with that. Still, it's a good basic casual (weekend) shoe.

6. newyorker

newyorker Senior member

I wear spread cotton shirts with wool pants (all custom). I wear khakis on Fridays 1/4th of the time [​IMG] I think shoes really speak so much about a person. For me, the boat shoes says preppy the polo tan shoes says english the ferragamo shoes says italian the a. valentino shoes says city I wouldn't know what a split toe blucher would say or a wingtip would say. I also wonder if it they are a bit too fussy. I think these two models are actually rather American, not often found in other countries, am I not right?

7. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

While the wing tip used to be THE American business shoe, it is also quite common in other countries, particularly Canada, England, Japan, and Germany. I think it's less common (but certainly not unheard of) in Italy. I don't know about France or the rest of Europe, but again it definitely isn't a rarity there, either. As for the split-toe Blucher, that's also pretty common in one form or another abroad.

8. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

I disagree. I think the captoes are perfect for biz casual.

9. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

I'll second a split toe

10. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you are going to get a bit loafer, skip the Ferragamo and go with classic Gucci bit loafer, or a close facsimile.

11. newyorker

newyorker Senior member

Why do you prefer the classic Gucci bit loafer over the Ferragamo? I'm curious.

12. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

I don't like the Valentino toe cap, it's too huge.

13. marc37

marc37 Senior member

No shoe trees???

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I agree.

15. Roy

Roy Senior member

The Polo Ralph Lauren shoe is pretty nice, the others are definitely not my taste. I'd prefer a shoe that is a bit more fashion forward than the ones you've posted.

I just started building a shoe collection myself, i'd like to buy one or two pairs of pretty conservative shoes and the rest to consist of more fashion forward pairs.

16. VMan

VMan Senior member

I own that same pair and I have to say they have held up well. I used to wear them a lot more either simply with jeans, or with more dressed-up clothes. I wear them a little less now because I think the bit looks a little pretentious for some reason - though that's just my opinion.

17. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

18. newyorker

newyorker Senior member

I think you're right, and I frankly think that many people who wear bit loafers are actually quite open about being slightly elitist.

19. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

How about a pair of slightly pointed Chelsea boots?

Preferably with a chisel toe.

20. VMan

VMan Senior member

If I were you, my next step would be to upgrade the pair of black cap toes. Personally, I like monk straps a lot and would choose a pair of them.

Also, why not throw a pair of chelsea ankle boots into the line-up?

How about a pair of cordovan-colored shoes?

Maybe a brown suede loafer?