• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My French cuffs seem to be too big (NEW PICTURE)

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I bought a couple of shirts of H&H, the sizes of necks and arms were perfect, but somehow I think the french cuffs are too big? They're even bigger than the cuff of my suit.. Am I missing something? Update: Picture

DoubleDomer

Reaction score
French cuffs are larger than barrel. Their size when coupled with a slimmer wrist on a jacket make them a non viable option for some. Although I do not think your cuffs are abnormally tailored, I do not own any H and H. I do know that my TM Lewin fc's in slim fit seem like they're cut closer to the wrist than standard fit fc TM Lewin's.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Most rtw shirts have cuffs that are too large for the average person.
the average wrist measures 7" in circumfrence. i usually make the cuff 9.75. I add anywhere from 1/4-1/2" to accomadate a watch. most FC on RTW are 10-11" in circumfrence.
,most RTW shirts fuse the cuffs, so you can now expect 1/4-3/4" of shrinkage in the cuff.

the type of cufflinks you wear may make a difference.
double side linked cufflinks will make the shirt cuff feel larger.
Carl

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
Most rtw shirts have cuffs that are too large for the average person.
the average wrist measures 7" in circumfrence. i usually make the cuff 9.75. I add anywhere from 1/4-1/2" to accomadate a watch. most FC on RTW are 10-11" in circumfrence.
,most RTW shirts fuse the cuffs, so you can now expect 1/4-3/4" of shrinkage in the cuff.

the type of cufflinks you wear may make a difference.
double side linked cufflinks will make the shirt cuff feel larger.
Carl

Got it, that's why. Since I am small-medium frame, my wrist is smaller than average which makes problem worst... oh well, just have to live with it, I guess.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
French cuffs are normally longer than most cuffs so I would think yours are too long.
I do know this, so I go down 1 size for the arms, which makes the length fits perfectly, but the width doesn't seem right on my wrist. Edit: Please see picture updated in OP

glowell222

Reaction score
Sleeves are too short, cuff opening is too large. Your coat sleeves would have a hard time fitting around that, and you would have a difficult time taking your coat off-the cuffs will hang in the sleeve.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by glowell222
Sleeves are too short, cuff opening is too large. Your coat sleeves would have a hard time fitting around that, and you would have a difficult time taking your coat off-the cuffs will hang in the sleeve.

You didn't read the entire OP, did you?

glowell222

Reaction score
I did, actually. What, exactly, are you looking for from the forum? Moral support? commiseration? Empathy?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by glowell222
I did, actually. What, exactly, are you looking for from the forum? Moral support? commiseration? Empathy?

You read an entire post and did not know the question?

Ok, to be simple for you, I want explanation on: why a shirt with perfect neck size and arm size have very large cuffs? Is that because of the style of the particular shirtmaker (H&H in this case), or is it the general ways shirts are made.

Shirtmaven provided some explanations there.

glowell222

Reaction score
The only question in the OP was: I think the French Cuffs are too big? And, grammatically speaking, it wasn't even a question but a statement with improper punctuation.

Sorry, I just didn't see the point of this thread. You already knew the cuffs were too big, but didn't ask if there was a work around. I pointed out what you already knew and then you got all whiny.

jbmarine

Reaction score
It looks perhaps a little to big to my eyes (wow the way THAT could be taken out of context lol) but as previously stated, french cuffs always seem to be bigger than normal barrel cuffs. I will also say that even from the small photo of just the cuff, it looks as though you have a beautiful shirt there.

litho

Reaction score
i find all readymade shirts have too big cuffs, hence most people here getting tailored shirts.

Yours looks about 2-3 inches too loose.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the pictures I would now say that you haven't the hand to fill the cuff, perhaps you have the wrong size or something.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
With the pictures I would now say that you haven't the hand to fill the cuff, perhaps you have the wrong size or something.

Hmm, My size is quite odd. I am a small frame person but have a pretty big neck due to working out. So my neck is 15.5 strict, the arm length is 32 (for barrel cuffs I go for 33), and this shirt is a slim fit. How can that be a wrong size? I mean, I could not go smaller than that, right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads