• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my experience with online bespoke tailor: Matthew Aperry

stylealvin

Reaction score
I came across this forum site and I think it would be useful for others to share my experience with online bespoke tailors.

I never thought about buying a suit until I started looking for a job after graduation. However, I am too small and I couldn't find any suitable suit in the local shopping mall. Making a customized suit is extremely expensive (from CHF 800) in Switzerland. So I tried to look for something on the internet.

The first thing I found was Indochino, the cheapest option is about $450 and it takes 1 month for delivery. I was about to make the purchase when I found another online store Matthewaperry. The cheapest option is about $200 and it takes only 2 weeks. The price seems to be too low to be true and I couldn't find much reviews about this store on the internet. I ordered one suit and one shirt. Two weeks later, right before my first interview, I got the package from DHL.

The suit fits me quite well except that the shoulder is a little loose. The fabric is very soft and comfortable. I couldn't find the details about the fabric on their website. I don't think it is from first-class factory but it certainly doesn't look cheap. Anyway I am very satisfied with this suit. I wore this suit to various interviews and eventually got a job offer :) . I do recommend people with low budget to try Matthewaperry. Their website is not very well designed which makes the purchase process not fluent. So it's better to contact their customer service in case of problem.

PS: The two review articles might be helpful.
http://www.thefineyounggentleman.com/suits/the-matthew-aperry-suit-review/
http://www.thefineyounggentleman.com/outerwear/matthew-aperry-custom-coat-review/

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are happy with it, then fine I suppose: At that price it will be fused rubbish, probably made from polyester-based cloth. The example you show looks dreadful but there we are.

And Indochino is no better, search for the tales of woe here.

Stebbin

Reaction score
I've ordered a suit from them and I've written about my experiences.

In summary; not a bad company to deal with. The fit can be certainly refined but for under $300, it cannot be faulted. They use a polyester lining, resin buttons but the suiting is 100% generic wool and decent for a beater. It is possible to get a full canvas construction and a padded lapel, but it must be requested via email. The 2 week turnaround is ridiculously fast.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've ordered a suit from them and I've written about my experiences.

In summary; not a bad company to deal with. The fit can be certainly refined but for under $300, it cannot be faulted. They use a polyester lining, resin buttons but the suiting is 100% generic wool and decent for a beater. It is possible to get a full canvas construction and a padded lapel, but it must be requested via email. The 2 week turnaround is ridiculously fast.

This looks as good as any of the online-MTM suits. Nice suit.

Where I live, one will get a 100% Polyester monstrosity for 300$. How are the shoulders on that suit of yours?

Stebbin

Reaction score
Slightly wider than one might expect and it seems they do not properly accommodate a dropped shoulder. The padding is certainly lighter than many of their competitors like Elite but their sloped shoulders are more sloped than usual and I had some nasty shoulder rolls on my first order. I would size down by a couple of centimetres when measuring the shoulders and chest.

Their real attraction is the price but you have to be specific (ie, provide diagrams and clearly explain you want canvas in the lapels) when requesting padded lapels, which costs slightly extra. Otherwise they just give you a half canvassed suit without any lapel roll.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want a cheap(ish) online suit that fits decently, Shanghai C&G is the best I've thus far found. But with any online experience, you have to be patient and spell out exactly what you want and how you want it.

Last edited:

Stebbin

Reaction score
If you want a cheap(ish) online suit that fits decently, Shanghai C&G is the best I've thus far found. But with any online experience, you have to be patient and spell out exactly what you want and how you want it.
+1. Much better quality, workmanship and materials at around double the price of an Aperry suit. The half lined mohair suit arrived a few weeks ago and I'll post a review up shortly.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much for a suit there? Also, how's construction?

Website looks like it's from 1998, and the I can't seem to find a single price list there.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1. Much better quality, workmanship and materials at around double the price of an Aperry suit. The half lined mohair suit arrived a few weeks ago and I'll post a review up shortly. 

Excellent! I can't wait to read your review and see some pics.

How much for a suit there? Also, how's construction? 

Website looks like it's from 1998, and the I can't seem to find a single price list there. 

Website isn't good at all, you're spot on there. English, naturally enough, isn't their first language either. Price depends on the fabric chosen and the tailoring options you go with. Email Amy Yang there and start a discussion. Like I said, be patient and cogently spell out exactly what you want and how you want it.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shanghai C&G replied me quite fast with a price list, and a bunch of other pictures.

At those prices, I think I'll give it a try.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, from your experience, can you customize or request things like:

-Shoulder shape (natural, roped, structure, spalla camicia, etc.)
-Button stance
-Lapel width and shape

I've mailed them about those points, but figured I'd ask you guys too (I'm guessing you've inquired on stuff like that before me).

Stebbin

Reaction score
All three should be customisable although you should be specific and provide pictures as to what you're requesting. I've had great success in getting roped shoulders, wider lapels, an exact button stance and a milanese buttonhole in my last couple of commissions.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ As Stebbin says, Amy will do anything you want, but you'll need to be patient and very clear with what you're after (pictures help and remember, English isn't Amy's first language, so be as clear and concise as can be). With any online MTM, it may take a few goes to get things exactly how you want them. Amy and her team may nail things straight away, but don't be discouraged if it takes a few goes before it's 100%.

Last edited:

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome. What was the turnaround time?

And did you guys ship them a fitting suit/jacket, or just feed them measurements? Any remakes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads