• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My EG Thrift Shop Find for the Decade

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, IMHO anyway :)

So, my wife dragged me out this afternoon in the pouring rain. She wanted to check out a neighborhood used bookstore, so I decided to check out one of the local thrift shops while I waited. I had pretty much checked everything out, not seeing much of interest (they did have a nice oxxford suit for barneys, grey nailhead, 46L for $90). My wife had even come in to get me but I decided to check out the shoes - - I saw broguing peeking out from a pair on the top shelf way up in the corner and figured I'd take a look.

What I pull down is a pair of antique tan captoes that are a bit scuffed up. I flip them over to check out the price, because this thrift shop just scribbles the price on the sole of the shoes. What do I see but the channeled sole that we all know and love, with that distinctive scripted "Made In England" that we've all come to associate with EG or Grenson soles (not much of a bevelled waist though, perhaps this gives some indication as to how old these shoes are). The inside heel of the shoe says "M. Bardelli, Cashmere Cotton & Silk, Made in England." I dont recognize the name so I check out the inside of the shoe for any distinctive markings. Nothing.

As I continue to investigate, I notice that the tongue is stitched to the shoe on one side, another EG characteristic. Then I notice some handwriting under the tongue. It says, "8 1/2.F. 202. Under that, "6964" is scribbled onto the leather.

At this point, I'm thinking what a great find for one of my small-footed brethren on the forum, as I'm size 10. I fill my wife in, pay $30 for the shoes, and head home. When I get home, much to my surprise, the shoes seem to fit perfectly. I'm guessing the shoes must be a US 9, but very wide. Add to that the generally bulbous nature of the 202 last, and my feet slide perfectly in.

I used some neutral polish and gave the shoes a quick shine. They really look fantastic after minimal cleaning effort. I forgot to take "before" pics, but this story would be worthless without "after" pics, so here they are.

I'm curious, has anyone ever heard of M. Bardelli???

Enjoy.
Dan

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
M. Bardelli and Cashmere Cotton & Silk are two stores with the same owner in Milan. They are high end men's clothing stores.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GREAT find!

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus those are nice, you've made thrifting an art. I wish I had as much knowledge as you did so I could snatch up great deals.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by speedster.8
Welcome to the 202's, this is indeed a 8,5Fuk, hence a wide 9us (possibly close to an EE)

+1 But not very interesting web ...
http://mbardelli.com/Pagina_1.htm

Sometimes the quality of a store is inversely proportional to the glitz of its website. Bardelli is a fantastic store. Still sells EGs under its own name.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Beautiful shoes and color too.

Are you a size US 10D in American shoes, or are you a more narrow US size 10??

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This, and the 20-year old Huntsman jacket that another member found recently (check the thrift bragging thread) have definitely brought a smile to my weekend. Wonderful stuff.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow, those look great. Terrific find.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm generally a regular D width in US size 10.

Originally Posted by rnoldh
Beautiful shoes and color too.

Are you a size US 10D in American shoes, or are you a more narrow US size 10??

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spatlese
This, and the 20-year old Huntsman jacket that another member found recently (check the thrift bragging thread) have definitely brought a smile to my weekend. Wonderful stuff.

Funny that you mention Huntsman. . . I found a Huntsman navy blue blazer at the same place in the last year. Fit me pretty well, and I think it was under $30. The tag indicated it was custom made in '92. After asking around here, it appears to be an example of the standard Huntsman one button blazer style.

In the last 2 years, I have found the following from this one thrift shop: the EGs ($30), the Huntsman blazer ($30), an RLPL 3B blue blazer ($125), a Hilditch shirt ($15), and a Luciano Barbera shirt with huge MOP buttons ($25). Not typical thrift shop prices, but they generally charge even more for things like Gucci/Prada/Paul Smith items. I saw a tan Huntsman overcoat with velvet collar once for $50, and have also seen C&Js. The clerks might realize that the Purple Label is nice, but the savile row stuff has no labels so they price that stuff much cheaper, as if its no name brand junk. And they charge more for a Brooks shirt than the Hilditch shirt. As I posted earlier, there was an Oxxford suit in there today in good condition for $90.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads