• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My black shoes are rubbing off on my fingers!

mink31

Reaction score
I just bought a brand new pair of black oxfords and after touching their newly formed creases, I noticed some black powder on my fingers.

Is this normal? The leather doesn't seem dry or anything. What can I do to stop this from happening?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
stop touching them with your fingers.
redx.gif

emptym

Reaction score
My guess is that the polish has dried and is flaking off. Maybe some leather conditioner or cream would help.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mink31
I just bought a brand new pair of black oxfords and after touching their newly formed creases, I noticed some black powder on my fingers.

This has happened to me recently on a couple high end-shoes right out of the box.

The shoes appeared to have many fresh coats of polish (something like Kiwi) Maybe some of the polish had not been rubbed completely into the shoe leather.

Anyway, as stated above, leather conditioner (such as Bick 4) is good to put on brand-new shoes.

Then polish the shoes with shoe cream (such as Meltonian), and work the shoe cream into the leather.

If you want a shiny shoe, then apply a wax polish like Lincoln or Kiwi, and do a spit shine. If you don't work the shoe polish in, you can have little bits of crusty black dry polish on your shoe.

I've noticed well-polished shoes will often still leave black spots on the shoe bags, and sometimes even carpets.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
I would also recommend the Kiwi polish, and always keep shoe trees in when you're not wearing them.

Sounds like the polish, or small bits of finish, are flaking off. Shouldnt hurt anything as long as they still look nice, and the above options should take care of that.

Cobblestone

Reaction score
sounds like too much polish. You will need to strip off all the polish, then use a leather conditioner and let dry over night.
Then apply a good paste polish, lincoln, angelus, collonil, kelly lynn and lightly brush into the leather and then buff off with shine cloth.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mink31

Is this normal? The leather doesn't seem dry or anything. What can I do to stop this from happening?

This happens on my shell shoes, especially, but I consider it to be normal. I'm wearing a black pair today for the second time and noticed black residue on my fingers after putting them on this morning.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics