• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Balmoral Boots

Asian Afro

Reaction score
I received my shoes from Cliff last week after a seven-month wait. I wasn't very specific with my order, so the result fell a bit short of my expectations. But, I think MTO shoes are like MTM or bespoke clothing, it is a gradual process to getting what you truly want.

I plan on ordering a pair of boots next. Am thinking about the specs now.

Here are a few pics of the shoes.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cliff really does not go for the elongated look. My first par from him were similar in overall shape to yours and at first I did not appreciate them but over time I have got more used to the blobby shape and wear them regularly.

What size are those by the way?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score

Yea, that toe does look a bit short, the brogued wing possibly makes it look even shorter.

I think it's because he set the wing quite far forward on the toe. If he'd set it back on the vamp, like on most RTW wingtips (C&J, AE, Alden), the toe would look longer. Same effect as on the AE Park Aves and 5th Aves: the seam's being set on the toe makes the shoe look shorter.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think it's because he set the wing quite far forward on the toe.

maybe, maybe not. on the side view you can see that the balance is ok. imo, the missing of a medaillon might be irritating. small size makes it difficult either.

Asian Afro

Reaction score

What size are those by the way?

Size 7, though I think I might be more comfortable with 7.5. Will know for sure after I've walked a bit in them, probably two or three months from now. (I have no place to scuff up the soles right now because it's snow and ice outside, and new soles can slip on carpet.)

p.henrik

Reaction score
Actually, my trial shoes from Cliff were too elongated (and too big overall). They were based on a bespoke Springline last though, that I had requested with a slightly rounded, but still chiseled toe. I have no experience with his house lasts, but I think he has a chiseled elongated last in addition to the round one.

As some other users have noted, you have to have some patience with Cliff's response and delivery time. My process is 5 months in the making and I'm still waiting on my second trial shoe. This is partly due to Springline lead time too.

Have decided to go for a black calf wholecut. Somewhat boring choice perhaps, but fills an important hole in my shoe wardrobe.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A pair of black adelaides that I am expecting from Cliff soon.

DSCF2473.jpg

Very similar in style to the espresso oxfords he made for me but with a higher instep.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have received the shoes from Cliff. As requested he adjusted the instep to make it higher as my first pair had a wider gap at the lacing area than was ideal. They have not yet been polished by me so are a little bland. The toe is his usual "unelongated" shape and I found on my previous pair that when the cap has been properly shined the proportions look pretty good.

CIMG1750.jpg

CIMG1747.jpg

CIMG1751.jpg

CIMG1749.jpg

CIMG1752.jpg

Last edited:

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
I don't quite know how we got to posting these ^ in this thread...

Nevertheless an interesting shoe. Perhaps it's the photographs but the positioning of the cap looks a little peculiar to me, not as vulgar as say the Barker Black Clifton, but certainly reminiscent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics