• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Music

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just started listening to the Anthony and the Johnsons album. If you catch it in the wrong mood, it's ridiculous, but in the right frame of mind (namely late at night), "Hope There's Someone" is akin to a religious transcendence.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron
What are your thoughts about this one? I haven't heard the whole album yet but what I've heard I like (although Dan needs to focus a bit more).

A.

Not as good as Your Blues but still it's Dan Bejar and therefore I am unexplainably drawn to it. All in all I do think its a good album.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The songs I've heard off that Band of Horses album are indeed good. They seem very in control of their sound/direction. I wonder if they have other stuff out.

Brian, how do you feel about the Liars album? I'm supposed to review it, and I have no idea where to start. It's not that I don't like it, but I think I still preferred them when they liked songs.

Last ten:

Van Morrison - Glad Tidings
Headcoats - You Broke my Very Mind
Secret Machines - Lightning Blue Eyes (off their new one; I like it in spite of myself. Their drum sound makes the band)
High Dials - Holy Ground
Raconteurs - Steady as She Goes
Promise Ring - Pink Chimneys
Chicago Underground Duo - Funeral of Dreams
Vague Angels - The Vague Angels of Vagary
RJD2 - The Horror
Thievery Corporation - Samba Tranquille

jay allen

Reaction score
Beth Hart - Live at the Paradiso - DVD

I have never seen a performance like this......ever. I must admit to being somewhat obsessed with this DVD. Before my brother in law introduced me to it I'd never even heard of her. After seeing it....I'll never forget her. She is a force of nature....with a voice that literally gave me goosebumps. If you can find anyone more committed to their craft....I'd like to see them.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Recent listens:

We Are Scientists
The Sounds
Sham 69
The Alley Dukes
Arctic Monkeys (Been listening to this since end of last year and I still can't really get into it...a bit overhyped imo, and their appearance on SNL wasnt that great)

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
The songs I've heard off that Band of Horses album are indeed good. They seem very in control of their sound/direction. I wonder if they have other stuff out.

Brian, how do you feel about the Liars album? I'm supposed to review it, and I have no idea where to start. It's not that I don't like it, but I think I still preferred them when they liked songs.

Last ten:

Van Morrison - Glad Tidings
Headcoats - You Broke my Very Mind
Secret Machines - Lightning Blue Eyes (off their new one; I like it in spite of myself. Their drum sound makes the band)
High Dials - Holy Ground
Raconteurs - Steady as She Goes
Promise Ring - Pink Chimneys
Chicago Underground Duo - Funeral of Dreams
Vague Angels - The Vague Angels of Vagary
RJD2 - The Horror
Thievery Corporation - Samba Tranquille

I havent listened to the Raconteurs yet, what do you think of them?

As for LIARS, it's somewhat inexplicable as to the why I like their new album. I'll try my best, take from this what you agree with.

I think where they may have failed in TWWSWD to accomplish some interesting texture, they really turned it around in DND. The instrumentation works (mix of guitars, drums and electronics) with their composition and where before it sounded like they just repeated the same **** over because they were lost in their own style and didn't know what else to throw in, now they're comfortable with experimenting. The harmonies sort of go in and out of being in-tune - definitely a different spin for Liars, who are kind of known for making things as off and unlistenable as they can. Its also murky and dark without being pretentiously artsy or gothic, and at times its emotionally uplifting instead of cynical and isolating. There's a depth in their sound that they didn't have before - a continuous stream of sound that is simultaneously full and hollow.

I think they really broke ground with this album. Kind of reminds me of Radiohead's sudden morph after OK Computer (obviously completely different styles in question though). They created something unique, an entirely different sound that has beats but lacks structure.. I give up. I'm losing track of myself, but if you found anything there you understand, maybe it will give you some ground to judge from.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
l2815.jpg

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
grace jones...oh my goodness. who can forget her performance in Conan the Destroyer.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
notch...johnson.

roger moore can go sit on a volvo.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think she notched Bond on her belt. Brian, that's a lot more eloquent than anything I've had to say about Drum's not Dead. I've been listening to it almost a week and I'm not ready to write about it. I'm not even ready to say I like it or not. It's intriguing, anyway; though not all that enjoyable on a pop level. last ten: Joy Division - Disorder PJ - Corduroy Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Love Burns The Evens - Mt. Pleasant Luna - Bewitched William Elliot Whitmore - One Man's Shame Dino Jr. - Tarpit Wilco - Dreamer in my Dreams Junior Murvin - Police and Thieves Silver Jews - Honk If You're Lonely

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Shoreman, your avatar reminded me of the story from (last week?) about Coachella Music Festival offering $3M to The Smiths to reform for their weekender and Morrisey turned the offer down. On one hand it's cool that bands have integrity to refuse truckloads of cash to reform, but I'm sure the bassist and drummer are bummed they arent getting that fat pay day.

listening to:

Mar-Keys
Booker T & MGs
The Marvelettes
The Velvelettes
Martha Reeves & Vandellas

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get Smart, I think there's more than bad blood among the smiths. IIRC, the drummer has sued Morrissey, much to Mozz's theatrical chagrin. Or at least that's Morrissey's side. I wouldn't be all that surprised if he and Johnny Marr spoke again sometime, but I wouldn't expect the drummer to be in on it. More info here, if you're interested.

LK, I'm surprised you'd be down with Broken Social Scene (though the name suits you). Not all that esoteric.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads