• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Music you listened to as a kid

Fulcannelli

Reaction score
anyone have any great old classics, i used to listen to alot of electro music.. its a sham but found some ragga twins on youtube and its kicked me back into a timewarp,, just need to find my old electro beats now...

its funny how melancholy grows with age, when old memories rot me thinks they emit the stench of romance.

im teary eyed over mr kirk, its hardly an operatic masterpiece

Prince

Reaction score
The first two tracks I remember liking (when I was about 4) are:
Fine Young Cannibals - She drives me crazy
Terence Trent D'Arby - Sign your name

I still like them.
smile.gif

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was 5 or 6, my favorite song was "California", by 2pac. In the following years I enjoyed System of a Down, Backstreet Boys, Weird Al, Linkin Park, The Cranberries, and a few others. Then I stopped listening to music completely around 6th or 7th grade. Since then, I've been slowly adding things to my small collection.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Frank Sinatra and Tom Jones were my two favorites. I believe I also liked Dinah Shore.

No, I don't know what's wrong with me.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was born in the 70's and my folks had a lot of cheezy records (ABBA, Carpenters etc.) from that time which they played throughout my early childhood. When I was around 8 or 9 I listened to an "oldies" radio station that played 50's and 60's rock and roll which I really enjoyed and is what inspired me to learn to play guitar.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paganini, Strauss (all of them), Mozart, Vivaldi, Beethoven and generally all "mainstream" baroque, classic and some post classic composers.
When I was 5 I started to hate most of pop music.
It's quite funny that after I broke my Violin and a few weeks later stopped playing (when I was13 or 14) I got much into opera and stuff like Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Mahler, a lot of sacral music (esp. the requiems by almost everyone from Moteverdi/Schütz to Verdi/Brahms) and German Lied.
Sinatra is a must, of course.

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
Mom liked country and dad liked Sinatra.

Still like Sinatra, not all that fond of country.

Personally I listened to Metal - Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Dio etc...

I did have a mullet once....

Jenaimarr

Reaction score
When I was a really really little kid (~5yrs old), I have fond memories of being ecstatic everytime Der Kommissar and Rock Me Amadeus came on the radio.

The first full album I ever listened to came later at ~9yrs old when my elementary school buddy copied his older brother's "Skid Row" album on side A of a 120min memorex tape and Alice Cooper's "Trash" on side B. First album I actually bought on cassette was Motley Crue's Theatre of Pain. I used to love drawing theatre masks with pentagrams all over my elementary school books which ultimately led to several parent-teacher conferences.

I still have all the tapes to this day after 20+ years. Too bad I don't have a cassette tape player anymore.

No, I didn't have a mullet then... but I do have a mullet-ish 'do now since I haven't got a haircut since january.

rents

Reaction score
when i was really little i never really listened to music... mostly because my parents didnt really listen to music...

the first music i got into was hip hop... around late 80's early 90's... stuff like fresh prince and dj jazzy jeff, run dmc, ll cool j, dr dre, snoop doggy dogg, wu-tang, nas... and so much more... i still listen to that hip hop... dont listen to any of the newer stuff though...

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Before the age I started liking music, all the records at home were 70s disco music. And I am still familiar with acts like Poussez, Van McCoy, Leo Sayer, Voyage, Odyssey, Phil Fearon, Viola Wills, France Joli and Teri Desario.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had extremely blackalicious taste growing up. My god.

Dru Hill
SWV
TLC
LL Cool J
Coolio
Tupac
Biggie
Total
Allure
Patra
La Bouche
Missy Elliot
Xscape
Brandy
Monica
Boyz II Men
Mariah
Montell Jordan

And then some random **** like:

Marcy Playground
New Radicals
Alanis Morisette
Sublime
Joane Osbourne
The Verve
Greenday
Every Disney soundtrack

blush.gif

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willsw
When I was 5 or 6, my favorite song was "California", by 2pac. In the following years I enjoyed System of a Down, Backstreet Boys, Weird Al, Linkin Park, The Cranberries, and a few others. Then I stopped listening to music completely around 6th or 7th grade. Since then, I've been slowly adding things to my small collection.

Damn, for the first time I feel old.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads