• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM Shirt Fit?

kvnlol

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've posted in the official Moderntailor.com thread however I only recieved critque from one person, which I agreed with as well. I just wanted some more advice before I buy another 3, considering I live in australia and shipping is quite costly and my budget is tight (university student and intern).

My first shirt trial shirt arrived and pretty happy with it. The fabric obviously isn't the greatest material however the fitting is quite nice as I measured one of my own shirts. I took a closer look at the stitchings, not exactly the greatest but no one can see it and doesn't seem to be any problems so far.

I do need to do some adjusts but i'm not entirely sure where.

So basically this is without shrinkage yet, obviously its going to shrink and probably not going to fit me anymore. Should I do +0.5inch for shrinkage? Also I'm not sure if you can tell but I have a really wide back as you can see in the last photo, what should I do about that?

Thanks guys!

kvnlol

Reaction score
Hmmm..I wouldnt say its a disater, I think its alright but im a newbie so wouldnt know too much. I took the measurements from a shirt I had and adjusted it accordingly :(

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's a disaster in that every area of the shirt needs an adjustment. Extend the yoke and put pleats at the yoke on the back to put extra cloth across your blades. Increase the chest, across the front upper chest area and under the arms, increase the back at the bottom of the armhole and across the upper back, more than the increase on the front chest. Sleeve cuffs are too large in circumference. Collar style, size and fit don't look right on you.

6up

Reaction score
yup....i think you`re going to need pointed collars. First try....its ok....2nd time, you can do better: too much fabric in the waist area, make the sleeves slimmer for the slimmer look and get the tailor to measure the slope of your shoulders to perfect. You want everything nice and smooth and accentual your natural lines.

BTW: how much did it cost per shirt

imanewbie

Reaction score
the shirt is a disaster.
so much wrong.
who took your measurements?
he wanted criticism and you didnt give it to him i guess its true even if folks have mega posting counts does not mean its quality posts is it or constructive.

As most folks have said its tight in the back, can you move right? sleeves look long also. The front body looks great, but looks like you have big back increase the size in the chest area as some members mentioned already. Its a a nice looking shirt Im sure everyday 'joe' will not will compliment, but dont go out with any SF members they will watch your every crease and thread move......

kvnlol

Reaction score
It's a disaster in that every area of the shirt needs an adjustment. Extend the yoke and put pleats at the yoke on the back to put extra cloth across your blades. Increase the chest, across the front upper chest area and under the arms, increase the back at the bottom of the armhole and across the upper back, more than the increase on the front chest. Sleeve cuffs are too large in circumference. Collar style, size and fit don't look right on you.
yup....i think you`re going to need pointed collars. First try....its ok....2nd time, you can do better: too much fabric in the waist area, make the sleeves slimmer for the slimmer look and get the tailor to measure the slope of your shoulders to perfect. You want everything nice and smooth and accentual your natural lines.
BTW: how much did it cost per shirt

Yep, definetly agree, I'm going to use the half-bicep measurement this time which I omitted. This is the trial-shirt from moderntailor.com so it costed me $35 AUD, roughly $35 USD inclusive of shipping.

how is the quality of the more expensive materials from Modern tailor?

How expensive are you wondering? I'm going to purchase some $50-$60 ones, I'll post back up here afterwards.
he wanted criticism and you didnt give it to him i guess its true even if folks have mega posting counts does not mean its quality posts is it or constructive.

As most folks have said its tight in the back, can you move right? sleeves look long also. The front body looks great, but looks like you have big back increase the size in the chest area as some members mentioned already. Its a a nice looking shirt Im sure everyday 'joe' will not will compliment, but dont go out with any SF members they will watch your every crease and thread move......

Thanks alot mate!

Yep definetly tight in the back, I can move fine but I can feel the back stretch. Haha, well the SF members seem to know best, hopefully I can learn some things which I have never paid/caught my attention to :)

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
working downward
the collar is way too small again this is before shrinkage.
and less spread on the collar will look better with your very sloping shoulders.
the spread collar will only draw attention to your sloping shoulders
chest is too tight. hips are too tight. the shirt can't drop into you pants.that is all the fullness at the upper area of the back darts.

the armhole needs to drop down.
the upper arm is tight and the sleeve is too full from elbow to wrist.

the cuff measurement is huge.
sleeve length is fine

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads