• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM / bespoke London Tailor recommendations

Antony1987a

Reaction score
Morning All,

I’m getting married July 2022 and I’m about to go out and find my grooms suit…

looking for a 3 piece, colour will be ‘grey’… im thinking a darker jacket with a contrasting waistcoat (whether that’s a different shade of grey or a pattern), want it m

My top end budget is £1500

Obviously I know of Savile row… whether my budget can stretch that far I’m not so sure…

Can any of you recommend any tailors within London?

Appreciate any guidance

regards
Antony

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You won't find anything on The Row for that much unfort.

Why do you want / need bespoke?

Last edited:

Antony1987a

Reaction score
I don’t need bespoke, I’m happy with MTM but i don’t have much experience with buying suits so just looking out for recommendations.

I would like the wastecoat semi bespoke as I want it to contrast with the jacket

Camerashy

Reaction score
I understand Tom comes to London a few days a week vast experience
See him on YouTube under cutting answers, Redmayne 1860 and Savile row taylors

Last edited:

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
Morning All,

I’m getting married July 2022 and I’m about to go out and find my grooms suit…

looking for a 3 piece, colour will be ‘grey’… im thinking a darker jacket with a contrasting waistcoat (whether that’s a different shade of grey or a pattern), want it m

My top end budget is £1500

Obviously I know of Savile row… whether my budget can stretch that far I’m not so sure…

Can any of you recommend any tailors within London?

Appreciate any guidance

regards
Antony

You CAN get full bespoke at that price if you swing by Cad&the Dandy at 13 Savile Row. Lots of the tailoring will be done in India, but it's proper British style hand tailoring done in-house, and cutting, fitting and final adjustments are done on-site in London. Depending on the fabric you pick, I think you should be able to fit in 3 piece suit at around 1500 GBP. For affordable grey, ask to see the "City of London" bundle, it has some very nice twill that won't break the bank.

monkey66

Reaction score
Tweed Addicts will probably make you a bespoke 3 piece in your range if tweed is your thing?

Really nice people to deal with.

Aloysius16

Reaction score
Given that this will be your first attempt I think bespoke has a high risk of going wrong, or at the very least being a disappointment. My advice would be to use the mtm service of one of the London retailers where you can try on the RTW model, see if you like the general style and silhouette . You may find the RTW suit with alternations to be good enough but if not you can make further adjustments with a mtm version of the base model you tried. There are lots of options in London - perhaps consider Corneliani, Zilieri, Canali and somewhere like Gieves or Ede and Ravenscroft for a more traditional English style.

Antony1987a

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input so far ‘all’, really appreciate the suggestions. MTM is definitely the way to go now.

Don’t know if anyone has heard of Tailor Made London, had a very good appointment today. I’ll take a lot at some of the other suggestions, Canali (I know they have sales on at certain times), cad & the dandy, steed etc

Phil1988

Reaction score
Anyone have any opinions / experience of Artefact London?
A coworker swears by her work! Sadly, a bit outside my price range at present. Weighing up myself if cheaper MTM option is even worth the hassle vs just going all in for an Artefact. Or perhaps just buy off the rack for the time being and save for proper tailoring. Still doing my research. All thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

TobeWed87

Reaction score
A coworker swears by her work! Sadly, a bit outside my price range at present. Weighing up myself if cheaper MTM option is even worth the hassle vs just going all in for an Artefact. Or perhaps just buy off the rack for the time being and save for proper tailoring. Still doing my research. All thoughts are welcome and appreciated.
Thanks, I used Chris Kerr in the end. Very happy with the service

Phil1988

Reaction score
Thanks, I used Chris Kerr in the end. Very happy with the service
Oh thanks! Didn't see this tailor before. Their website grabs attention :) Chris Kerr looks slightly cheaper than Artefact, but Artefact London style resonates with me more. For this year will probably use my old suits, not in any particular rush. Will continue gathering intel for the time being. Cheers!

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you have an unusual physique that does not fit into block patterns commonly found in off the peg suits, I would not recommend going MTM. There are plenty of disasters from MTM vendors described on this board.

Get a nice off-the-peg suit and have it tailored. That'll serve you much better and be far less risky.

Phil1988

Reaction score
Unless you have an unusual physique that does not fit into block patterns commonly found in off the peg suits, I would not recommend going MTM. There are plenty of disasters from MTM vendors described on this board.

Get a nice off-the-peg suit and have it tailored. That'll serve you much better and be far less risky.
Thanks! That is exactly what my coworker (the one that gets his suits at Artefact) told me. He had 2 disastrous experiences with "MTM wannabe bespoke" tailors, paid between £1300-1600 for those suits and never worn them.
I guess, I am coming to that phase where I would not mind paying more for a quality suit. Off the peg isn't too bad on me, but I can sure see the difference between my coworker's suits and the ones I get in Suit Supply/Hugo Boss. He is more athletic built than me, maybe that is also a factor why he looks so dapper in his suits :D HA!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads