• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving to DC, recommendations?

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I currently commute into DC. I've decided I want to get a place downtown to be able to walk to work. That means I'll want to live in the Dupont Circle area.

I currently have three cars, two M3s, E46 and E92 and a 911 Turbo. I understand driving in DC sucks. I'll get rid of the Turbo and maybe the E46. I want to garage park the E92, street park the E46 if I keep it. Keeping the E92 for weekend drives is worth it despite the negatives and additional expense.

I have been searching on Craigslist and I seem to find college style **** rentals for <$2000 and excessively luxurious rentals for >$6000. I would ideally like to spend $4K/mo including parking for a reasonable non-furnished 1br. I prefer new construction or renovated properties with decent appliances and finishes. I like to cook and most of the stoves I've seen on Craigslist look like they were bought at K-mart in 1965.

Anybody have some building/appt. complex recommendations? For what's it worth I'm 26 and single, though not particularly inclined to be social.

Last edited:

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a bit difficult to find new buildings in Dupont, so I'd recommend Logan Circle, which I actually prefer to Dupont. I also would think it's more appealing than Dupont to someone your age because of the proximity to 14th Street and U Street.

The Post Massachusetts Avenue at 15th and Mass. fits your bill. You can get a nice one-bedroom plus den with parking for under $3,500. The building has a gym, free breakfast on weekdays, and an awesome rooftop with grills, lounging areas, and a pool. It's really one of the better views in the city up there. The staff is incredibly nice. I can highly recommend it.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The woodward building near metro center 10 minute walk to DuPont area should be good or The Camden Roosevelt another 10 minute walk from DuPont but over on u st. There's very little new construction around these parts of dc. The baseball stadium and penn quarter have a lot more.

You may want to consider a condo in a nice building that's for rent. You should approach realtors for ideas

Last edited:

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of 1 and 2 BR condos along Mass Ave a little further west (toward convention center) that have either converted to rentals due to them having been built right around the bust or are perpetual rentals by owners who are terribly underwater. They were all built around 2006-8 and should have luxury/faux luxury qualities.

You may want to consider the Chinatown area. It's no longer Chinatown and it has a lot of new construction.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There are a lot of 1 and 2 BR condos along Mass Ave a little further west (toward convention center) that have either converted to rentals due to them having been built right around the bust or are perpetual rentals by owners who are terribly underwater. They were all built around 2006-8 and should have luxury/faux luxury qualities.
You may want to consider the Chinatown area. It's no longer Chinatown and it has a lot of new construction.

I'm very familiar with that market, and the underwater comment is just not true. The condos that you are referring to haven't really dropped in value. Here's a pretty typical example:
http://www.redfin.com/DC/Washington/301-Massachusetts-Ave-NW-20001/unit-603/home/21647059
Built in 2006 and last sold in May 2008, prior to the downturn, for $695,900. It's currently listed for $724,900 and will probably go for a little less than that.

Here's another:
http://www.redfin.com/DC/Washington/555-Massachusetts-Ave-NW-20001/unit-1018/home/10348072
Built in 2005 and last sold in February 2007 for $561,999. It's currently listed for $599,000.

Those are stagnant prices, which is not great for the owner, but not close to "terribly underwater."

Spaceman Spiff

Reaction score
My only $.02 is that using Craigslist in this city to find living arrangements is an overall dreadful experience. Granted my price point is about half yours.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads