• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

most versatile shoe?

emptym

Reaction score
For warm weather, probably a burgundy loafer. For cool/cold weather, probably a dk brown chukka. But for any weather, I suggest a pair of black slip-ons.

Lumaca

Reaction score
What's the opinion here about gray shoes? I always thought that a nice grey suede chukka goes with almost any style of clothing.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

For warm weather, probably a burgundy loafer. For cool/cold weather, probably a dk brown chukka. But for any weather, I suggest a pair of black slip-ons.

Hm, I was skeptical about the black slip ons suggestion, but the photo of you in that thread indeed looks pretty good.

I have a pair of black EG Picadilly loafers that I'm not sure if I should keep. I've been thinking about selling them on eBay, but expect to lose money on the sale given how much I paid. Do you find yourself wearing black slip ons often? Are penny loafers not included in this rule?

As for the OP, I strongly believe dark brown plain toe derbys are the most versatile shoe you can buy. Presuming you don't wear business suits most of the time, that is, or shorts and t-shirts. For anything in between, brown derbys are usually a good bet, and for almost any season as well (depending on where you live, of course). They're nondescript, but that's to their advantage in this situation.

Last edited:

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im in favor of dark brown captoe double monks. Not the most conservative, but edgy and versatile with trousers/sportcoat or jeans and a button up (likely not a t-shirt).

Xenon

Reaction score

Have you ever hiked or walked a lot in your JL Chapel or croc/gator shoes when its raining outside?

No I don't have either of these but I do have a pair of calf ankle boots that I use exclusively in winter in snow , salty slush, puddled water (3 to 4 km a day) with little ill effect. However I literally drench these with the Saphir stuff at the beginning of the season. I also have an oxford that I use in fall when it rains treated the same way. Both the boots and oxfords have topied leather soles as well.

My father got caught in the rain in a pair of cordovans once and there was far more surface blemish afterwards than my calf shoes. His weren't treated though. The treatment is the important element for foul conditions.

As for the croc, I left my wallet outside once during the weekend in the rain. When I found it it was soaking wet, so I let it dry (became stiff) and I used a bit of aniline leather condition to make it supple again. The color became a little darker but no other ill effects. Actually I've spoken to several cobblers and the consensus seems to be that good crocadilian leather is quite robust. Just make sure to wipe of any dirt that may accumulate on the surface.

emptym

Reaction score

Hm, I was skeptical about the black slip ons suggestion, but the photo of you in that thread indeed looks pretty good.
I have a pair of black EG Picadilly loafers that I'm not sure if I should keep. I've been thinking about selling them on eBay, but expect to lose money on the sale given how much I paid. Do you find yourself wearing black slip ons often? Are penny loafers not included in this rule?
As for the OP, I strongly believe dark brown plain toe derbys are the most versatile shoe you can buy. Presuming you don't wear business suits most of the time, that is, or shorts and t-shirts. For anything in between, brown derbys are usually a good bet, and for almost any season as well (depending on where you live, of course). They're nondescript, but that's to their advantage in this situation.

Thanks. If I could do it over again, I might have gotten a pair of the AS Carroll w/o the medallion. I wear black slipons once a week or so. I can't bring myself to wear penny loafers, but if I could, I'd probably want the BB unlined model in #8 shell. Vox loves black ones though.

Dk brown plain toe derbys are a good rec. I only like the wholecut versions, like by Alden, or the kind with triangular quarters like the C&J Highbury.

kashmir

Reaction score
how about plain chelsea boots in burgundy or black?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads