• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most over-appreciated movies

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
Casablanca (melodrama? really?)

Casablanca is 100% badass from start to finish. It's one of the few "best movie ever" hypees that actually lives up to its hype, IMO.

dexterhaven

Reaction score
The la Marseilles scene always gets me. And Bogey is a joy to watch. But I have to agree that the movie is overrated. When I compare it with some of my other favorite movies, it comes out looking like a flat and pious wartime picture. And though I'm no expert, it doesn't seem to me to be very technically sound either. It's good, but all this "greatest story ever told!" and bitches dragging their boyfriends to summer screenings--it's too much.

But if you like it, more power to you. Don't listen to me. After all, the opinion of one little person doesn't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could be blind and enjoy Casablanca - the dialogue is amazing.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not huge on Eastwood's movies, but Unforgiven was such a fine move, it can't belong on this list.

Crash is the worst movie to ever win an Oscar, and may actually be one of the worst movies ever made...

Browsing this thread I'm glad to see no one has done the unforgivable and listed The Godfather.

Mr. White

Reaction score
I thought Bogart (what a name!) had much of the dialogue changed because whining about a woman made him look like a *****. So they added the romantic freedom fighter junk.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Back To the Future - A friend considers this his favorite flick!
facepalm.gif

FU. Back To The Future is one of the greatest movies of all time.

Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Anybody mention "Ferris Bueller's Day Off?"

It seems like maybe it's faded somewhat, but for a long time up until the late 1990's that movie was everywhere and it seemed like everybody just thought it was so wonderful.

Other than "Mullholland Drive," I second the mention of David Lynch movies.
Miyazaki animes: beautiful, but really overly sentimental and boring. I've TRIED to like them... but just can't.

Ferris Bueller was awesome too. I remember skipping school and watching that at a friend's house.

Mulholland Drive was great, so you've redeemed yourself a little bit.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Dr. Zhivago: As much as I love David Lean movies, this just failed for me. The bad looping, the camp acting (at times), and some questionable dialog plus complete moral ambiguity made for a less-than-stellar experience for me. I don't think it's BAD, just overrated.
If Julie Christie didn't make this a stellar experience for you than I must inform you that you must be ****. And that reminds me, the blu-ray has finally been released! Just waiting on Lawrence now, but I have a bad feeling Sony is goign to make us wait until 2012 just so that they can call it the 50th Anniversary Edition

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads