• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most Abused Words

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Now, that's a tad harsh. Scrap the programme, not the BBC; although, I have to agree, they've lowered their standards in the past while.

The same people who wants to scrap the BBC are following the political agenda of the Murdoch and co ...

If you want to see a dumbing down of television ,let them rule the roost...

24 hours football and biased information...

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That is what I am saying (read the comment): one cannot scrap the BBC. Let them scrap some programmes from it (instead of financing through ads... b/c part of the reason I love watching BBC is the absence of ads).

Not sure about Murdoch though. Murdoch-grandad was amazing. Murdoch-dad is just motivated by completely different things (he's a capitalist). Don't know much about Murdoch-son...

Capitalist is ok , no problem with that...

He's a rabid right-winger who is trying to manipulate everybody around the world..

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The same people who wants to scrap the BBC are following the political agenda of the Murdoch and co ...
If you want to see a dumbing down of television ,let them rule the roost...
24 hours football and biased information...

I'm not at all, I hate the Murdoch media, biased shite that's killing football.

TBH I'm not 100% committed to wanting to scrap the BBC but it does need a major change, its becoming no better than ITV or Channel 4 and the people in charge seem more obsessed with viewer or listener numbers than quality programming. First thing I'd do is scrap BBC Three and most of the programs on it (a few are a good laugh and I'd scrap them, there is the odd informative show), scrap BBC Four and move its programs onto BBC 1 and 2 and stop the endless repeats of programs that were on two days before, and get rid of talent shows, reality shows, and anything with that **** Clarkson on, get rid of Radio 1 Extra because its just the same **** rap that's on Radio 1, then see how good it is and what further changes need to be made.

I would also consider scrapping the news on BBC 1 once all the analogue TV transmitters have been turned off, the BBC News channel is great but there is no need for the same thing to be broadcast on two channels that everybody can watch.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm not at all, I hate the Murdoch media, biased shite that's killing football.
TBH I'm not 100% committed to wanting to scrap the BBC but it does need a major change, its becoming no better than ITV or Channel 4 and the people in charge seem more obsessed with viewer or listener numbers than quality programming. First thing I'd do is scrap BBC Three and most of the programs on it (a few are a good laugh and I'd scrap them, there is the odd informative show), scrap BBC Four and move its programs onto BBC 1 and 2 and stop the endless repeats of programs that were on two days before, and get rid of talent shows, reality shows, and anything with that **** Clarkson on, get rid of Radio 1 Extra because its just the same **** rap that's on Radio 1, then see how good it is and what further changes need to be made.
I would also consider scrapping the news on BBC 1 once all the analogue TV transmitters have been turned off, the BBC News channel is great but there is no need for the same thing to be broadcast on two channels that everybody can watch.

The dumbing down of the BBC is unavoidable because they decided to compete with the other channels..

Strictly come Dancing , On ice, Eastenders , Holby and so on are fighting the get the more viewers possible ...

Sky is destroying sports in general and football in particular just followed by the abysmal ITV.

I tend to watch a lot of historical and social documentaries on satellite channels...

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The dumbing down of the BBC is unavoidable because they decided to compete with the other channels.. Strictly come Dancing , On ice, Eastenders , Holby and so on are fighting the get the more viewers possible ... Sky is destroying sports in general and football in particular just followed by the abysmal ITV. I tend to watch a lot of historical and social documentaries on satellite channels...
Exactly, the problem for me is that the government are providing an entertainment service which private companies are happy to provide. Leave the educational and current affairs stuff in which they do brilliantly at.
ITV (which is UTV in Ireland) sometimes has nice stuff, but more often than not it's dire. They started showing Downton Abbey way before BBC..
ITV was second to the BBC until about 10 years ago, now its probably worse than Channel 5.

Last edited:

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Exactly, the problem for me is that the government are providing an entertainment service which private companies are happy to provide. Leave the educational and current affairs stuff in which they do brilliantly at.
ITV was second to the BBC until about 10 years ago, now its probably worse than Channel 5.

I'm a celebrity " and "X factor"..Say no more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads