• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monograms/custom labels

vc2000

Reaction score
I will be traveling on business to developing countries where I've had trouble with the loss of items of clothing sent to the laundry.  As I am staying for several weeks it will be necessary to send out items.  I will attempt to use reputable laundries but frequently I don't have control.  In the past items that were monogrammed returned and items with labels and sizes didn't.  I assume that the labels and sizes allowed for easier shopping and they assumed the monogram meant a custom item that wouldn't fit?

Can anyone recommend a shop anywhere in the world that does inexpensive monogram work?  As I have several items to monogram the cost will add up.  I have a few months before I go to allow for shipping.  Pricing guidance would be great.

Further can anyone direct me to where I can purchase labels with my name on them like custom suit makers use?  Labels worked in the past.  I've had little success with using a black marker to put my name in that Mom used to use when sending me off to camp.  

Thanks in advance.

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Sounds like a Kalra/Mittal post...
confused.gif

vc2000

Reaction score
Sounds like a Kalra/Mittal post... Â
confused.gif
Styleman: Not sure how I am supposed to take your comment? Â I stopped reading this board for a while because of the posts from Kalra/Mittal as I found them to be outside of helpful. I only ask for help from board members. Â Not sure where you got the impression that this was like Kalra? Â I admit to being offended. Please allow me to explain. Â I am traveling on business in places where locals live on $2 per day so I understand that items might become lost in the process of laundry. Â I might do the same if I were under similar situations to provide for my family. Â I am attending business meetings where I/we hope to create economic opportunities for everyone but it isn't helpful for me to be naked. Â Thus I was hoping for some helpful from the wise gentlemen on the forum. Please styleman allow the Kalra era on the forum to die and allow us to return to the gathering of gentlemen it was..... Thanks

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
(Styleman @ 22 Aug. 2004, 3:49) Sounds like a Kalra/Mittal post... Â
confused.gif

Styleman: Not sure how I am supposed to take your comment? Â I stopped reading this board for a while because of the posts from Kalra/Mittal as I found them to be outside of helpful. I only ask for help from board members. Â Not sure where you got the impression that this was like Kalra? Â I admit to being offended. Please allow me to explain. Â I am traveling on business in places where locals live on $2 per day so I understand that items might become lost in the process of laundry. Â I might do the same if I were under similar situations to provide for my family. Â I am attending business meetings where I/we hope to create economic opportunities for everyone but it isn't helpful for me to be naked. Â Thus I was hoping for some helpful from the wise gentlemen on the forum. Please styleman allow the Kalra era on the forum to die and allow us to return to the gathering of gentlemen it was..... Thanks
Sorry if I offended you, I only meant it in a light hearted manner, for 2 reasons; 1. You ended with a thanks, Mittal often did this on his posts. 2. Travelling to "developing countries" as you call them - Mittal would be doing this, as he owns mills there. Although, on the other hand I may wish to reconsider my apology, as "developing countries" is quite a unreasonable comment, as you will know, much of these countries is as "developed" as the USA. But I will still put forward my apology to you, as it was only intended to be taken lightly.

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Sorry to do this, but I just have to say:

I am traveling on business in places where locals live on $2 per day

Yes, and in the UK people earn close to 100 pounds a week, and in the countries where they earn $2 a day, food costs for the week are about $1, for a family like that, in the UK the lowest you can get by on is about 60 pounds a week. Point is obvious, in the UK food is 60% of your income, in the alleged "LEDC" it is 50%. A suit in a LEDC from a domestic manufature will cost you $30, in the UK the cheapest suit is 120 pounds, why is it so hard to see that it is all in retrospective.

kidkim2

Reaction score
vc2000--

I wish I had the kind of information you request. I don't, so instead I will have to content myself with thanking you for providing an insight that has eluded me for many, many years. Monograms are not merely vanity indulgences. Under certain circumstances they can actualy provide a modicum of protection against theft.

Honestly, this truth had never before occurred to me.

Regards,

Mike

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
vc2000-- I wish I had the kind of information you request. Â I don't, so instead I will have to content myself with thanking you for providing an insight that has eluded me for many, many years. Â Monograms are not merely vanity indulgences. Â Under certain circumstances they can actualy provide a modicum of protection against theft. Â Honestly, this truth had never before occurred to me. Regards, Mike
Mike: Whats wrong with you? We in Brooklyn, NY have been monogramming our garbage cans for precisely the same reason from the beggining of time...
smile.gif
JJF

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
You may find the following link useful. http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Forum....onogram "Straight from the dressmaker, deliver the shirts in batches to a sports monogramming joint. These days the machines they use to embroider five-color crests on baseball uniforms are sensationally good-- computer controlled, a zillion stitches per inch, usually with about five complete turrets running at once. To these guys, a one-color cursive monogram is child's play. If you agree to use one thread color (I do all my shirts in a slightly warm pearl gray), you can probably get the cost of monogramming down below $5 per shirt (I pay $4)."

kidkim2

Reaction score
FIHTies--

I think it was Uncle Ray who used to wheeze, "Don't turn up your nose at paper cups, young man.  Why, these are even personalized--as long as your name is "Dixie" or "Lily".

Mike

vc2000

Reaction score
Shirtmaven - Thanks for the advice on the labels that will work nicely. I still remember the first time in college that I sent my shirts out for cleaning and they came back with my name written in ink on the front tail. I was horrified. (Ok I am dating myself as in those days we didn't leave our shirts out)

I also think I solved my monogram needs. A family member has offered to put monograms on my stuff if I buy her an embrodiery machine. Anybody have experience or recommends for a machine? It will be a great gift for her.

Styleman thanks for your reply and apology. I was really irriated at the Kalra situation hijacking the forum so my reaction was overly sensitive due to this. I just finished reading R. Rubin's bio (former Treas. Sec. under Clinton) where I pulled the term developing country but I agree that many countries have more developed.... than the USA. LEDC is a better term and I didn't mean to offend - my regrets if I did. On your comment about percentage of income spent on food - I guess I am very thankful not to be in either situation but by the grace of a power greater....

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Most monogram machines can run over $10,000.

I understand that Brother makes a small machines that is hooked up to a PC computer. I think it cost around $400. All of the fonts and designs are kept in the computer. I have been told it makes a mediocre Monogram. In other words I would never use it on my shirts, but it should suffice to meet your needs. She could also do towels, baby stuff, etc. she could have her own little business.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads