• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Count de Monet, how could anyone buy a copy of "The Official Preppy Handbook" without "realizing much of the book was satire"?

Like its 2010 sequel, "True Prep", "The Official Preppy Handbook" was in the Humor section, not the Fashion section, in bookstores and libraries.

Both books are joke books, not fashion books. Anyone smart enough to graduate from kindergarten knows the difference between joke books and fashion books.

On a related subject, we can all probably think of books that are in the Fashion section in bookstores that should be in the Humor section.
The book came out while I was in high school. The affluent kids embraced it immediately and started wearing topsiders, sweaters and button downs. It may have been satirical but it had a concrete impact.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know if Lisa Birnbach would approve of the polo shirt and madras jacket combo but, at least for today, I do.

mnk.jpg

Last edited:

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who don't remember the wonderful pre "Officious Preppy Handbook" world, the answer is in the 1967 film "the Graduate". As Mr. McGuire tells Jonathan, "Plastics".

Before the least Preppy, Ivy, and/or Trad person to ever walk the Earth, Lisa Birnbach (who, had she lived in New England a few years earlier than she did, would have been burned as a witch, which would have been the only case in which an actual witch got burned at the stake) wrote the worst book ever written, "The Official Preppy Handbook", the greatest wonder of modern science, plastic, was rapidly becoming a part of many textiles.

People could buy clothes at Brooks Brothers (and almost everywhere else) that didn't wrinkle, didn't get eaten by bugs, didn't need to be sent to the cleaners, and lasted forever. Then people who didn't know it was a joke book read her book and wouldn't buy textile blends with plastic in them and ruined the World for everyone else (except hungry bugs and dry cleaners).

P1090910 2.jpg

The blazer, tie, shirt, and trousers in this picture are all blends of wool, silk, or cotton with plastic. All except the shirt predate the publication of the worst book ever written.

On a totally different subject, the highlight of my day was the historic reference @Count de Monet made in his post in the Allen-Edmonds thread. For those who didn't notice the historic reference, here's a clue.

pinterest-and-ebay 2.jpg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_0337.JPG
Rain clouds about to open up and light was failing. Can't believe August is almost halfway over. Chances to wear pink pants getting more limited.

Pants and Shirt: RLBL
Shoes and belt: AE

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where the academia nuts grow.

P1090939 2.JPG

Like Little Miss Muffet, sitting on my favorite tuffet at UCLA and wearing what are now my favorite shoes, Allen-Edmonds 1776's.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Caustic Man, everyone here likes your hat (and your show of school spirit) unlike some of the people in some of the parts of cyberspace you wander into.

You might want to consider changing the initials you use when posting in a certain Facebook group to "PBS" since your posts there can be classified as casting pearls before swine. For some reason, that Facebook group (and its related website) seem to be a bizarre comment magnet. (I keep waiting for someone over there to mention Admiral Bull Halsey wore a ball cap while doing his part in winning WWII.)

Meanwhile just can't stop wearing my Allen-Edmonds 1776's as seen here earlier today on a traffic island between the La Brea Tar Pits (which if you speak English and Spanish translates to The The Tar Tar Pits) and the building I still call Prudential Square.

Unfortunately, the miracle of the Miracle Mile is now long gone. Today someone asked me why it was called that.

P1090945 2.jpg

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This count?

If you wore the jacket, yes.

@Caustic Man, everyone here likes your hat (and your show of school spirit) unlike some of the people in some of the parts of cyberspace you wander into.

You might want to consider changing the initials you use when posting in a certain Facebook group to "PBS" since your posts there can be classified as casting pearls before swine. For some reason, that Facebook group (and its related website) seem to be a bizarre comment magnet. (I keep waiting for someone over there to mention Admiral Bull Halsey wore a ball cap while doing his part in winning WWII.)

Thanks Roy. That particular Facebook group is an interesting place, isn't it? There are some super people there, but some just come in to do the same things they do everywhere on the internet. Cause strife.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads