• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Money tips...

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
When does it stop being acceptable to live from paycheck to paycheck?

I'm 21 and have a year of university left, and I rarely have more than $500 in the bank, with usually $100 or so due in bills/debts at the end of the month?

you're 21 and in college. what you want to do is avoid creating too much debt, not worrying about savings, although if you can build up savings, that's gravy. i was more or less in the same boat as you are in my junior year, although i was able to snag some paid fellowships in the low 4 figure range to create some good spending money for my senior year and grad student year....

style from the heartland

Reaction score
Two entertainment budgeting tips:

One--take your spouse/friend w/ you to the theatre/museum; purchase one of the school fundraiser books. It likely has a 2-for-1 coupon in it. I am about to go to the Ballet here at Christmastime and pay $35/2 tickets, instead of full price.

Also--have a favorite TV series you want to catch up on? Rather than renting DVD's from Blockbuster, or trying to stockpile them on your DVR (VCR if you are old school)--buy them on sale at Best Buy or Target, watch the discs, re-sell them as used--"like new" on Amazon.

I have done this a few times with recent series. Boston Legal, Seinfeld. Each time, I re-sell for the price paid. Admittedly, I do bear cost of Amazon commission, but ends up being like a very low cost rental, and you can hold them for months at your leisure.

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Keep fixed costs to half of take home pay, if you are able. That includes rent/mortgage, transportation, student loans, bills. You have to be mathematically able to save, if you are to do so. And max out your pre-tax savings (401K). At the very least, max out your company match.

The best way, imo, is to dump your flashy car. You can get laid with your shoes and your charm much easier than your Porsche.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads