• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mixing tweeds

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi gents-

Is there a standard answer as far as mixing tweeds. Let's say a charcoal tweed jacket with donegal brown tweed pants?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I never see anyone pull it off. Mix the jacket with a fine wool twill pant, corduroy or flannel.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think this one is a case by case judgement. Theoretically, IMO, it can work. But they have to be very different tweeds; I'm not a fan of mixing different colourways of similar weaves/patterns. So a big & bold herringbone b&w jacket with a fat yarn might work with a subtle dark donegal pair of trousers in a much smaller yarn... but two plaids or two donegals together would be unlikely to work. The easier/surer option would be to use a different type of trouser as psg suggests.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think this one is a case by case judgement. Theoretically, IMO, it can work. But they have to be very different tweeds; I'm not a fan of mixing different colourways of similar weaves/patterns. So a big & bold herringbone b&w jacket with a fat yarn might work with a subtle dark donegal pair of trousers in a much smaller yarn... but two plaids or two donegals together would be unlikely to work. The easier/surer option would be to use a different type of trouser as psg suggests.

I used to do it successfully with one combination; I wore a heather tweed jacket without a pattern,
but a great deal of texture, with brownish tweed trousers which were kind of barlycorn with a subtle
overplaid. In a way I am cheating because the jacket, while tweed, is a uniform color. I still have both.
The jacket almost fits- for the trousers I'll need liposuction.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 99 34.3%
  • 8”

Votes: 88 30.4%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 33 11.4%
  • 9”

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.4%