• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Minnis Airborne - Anyone Ever Have Anything Made?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Playing with fire perhaps, but I just got 3.5 meters of the 6.5 oz. Airborne cloth below. 2-button, notch lapel, double vents with 2 patch pockets:

0424.jpg

Remind me. Where you the one going with Raphael and Poole?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Playing with fire perhaps, but I just got 3.5 meters of the 6.5 oz. Airborne cloth below. 2-button, notch lapel, double vents with 2 patch pockets:

0424.jpg

Given the Minnis site's lousy pics, I take it the color is much lighter and less "tan" than that.

Intersted to see how this turns out.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Given the Minnis site's lousy pics, I take it the color is much lighter and less "tan" than that.

Intersted to see how this turns out.

Yes, you're right. I made sure to check the cloth in real life before ordering. Its really just a standard light grey for the summer (similar to the color found in Lesser's Super Tropicals book).

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
0424.jpg

I would not put patch pockets on there for two reasons. First, i hate patch pockets on suits. I admit that i have one but it's a mid grey flannel w/3 patch pockets that i got for casual purposes. It was a mistake because it severely limits the wearability of the suit. I also think the patch pockets are at odds with a thin, light fabric like this. My suggestion would be to make it mainstream and get more mileage out of it.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Remind me. Where you the one going with Raphael and Poole?

Yes, I am. But I have already placed orders with both. This is a cloth that I'll commission over the next month or so.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I would not put patch pockets on there for two reasons. First, i hate patch pockets on suits. I admit that i have one but it's a mid grey flannel w/3 patch pockets that i got for casual purposes. It was a mistake because it severely limits the wearability of the suit. I also think the patch pockets are at odds with a thin, light fabric like this.

My suggestion would be to make it mainstream and get more mileage out of it.

I see your point, and I'm a bit hesitant on that as well. I do have a few lightweight odd jackets with 2 patch pockets (and a welted breast pocket), and I've found them to work quite well (especially on a lightweight coat). Thus, my intention to try it out on a lightweight suit. I always stay away from 3 patch pockets though.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see your point, and I'm a bit hesitant on that as well. I do have a few lightweight odd jackets with 2 patch pockets (and a welted breast pocket), and I've found them to work quite well (especially on a lightweight coat). Thus, my intention to try it out on a lightweight suit. I always stay away from 3 patch pockets though.
Three patch pockets is the least of my worries, any patch pockets on a suit are what vex me. On a side note, my tailor actually designed and attached my patch pockets so deftly that no one notices them. But I notice. What im saying, you will have the airborne suit for a long time. That Minnis company makes very hard wearing fabrics irrespective of the actual cloth weight. in a few years, you might be bored with the idiosyncratic look of the patch pockets. You could wear a suit like this for so many situations and look fantastic in it with regular flap pockets. If you are determined to get patch pockets, then do so but i wouldnt feel right without giving you my own experiences with what i too once thought was a natty touch. I havent gotten an airborne made up but I will soon. Let us know how it goes.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks for your opinion. I agree that perhaps it is best to play it safe and opt for regular pockets. But then again, I like the casual look of patch pockets (especially on a light grey summer suit).

I'll give it some more thought - I'm sure I'll change my mind at least a dozen times before I actually bring it to the tailor.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

I get patch on linen and cotton suits always. On wool, twice, a Lesser tan tropical and an airforce (or maybe avion) blue mohair. I have a nice piece of light gray mohair that will get the patch treatment. I was thinking about getting the lightest gray Lesser tropical (similar shade to your Airborne), but if I did that, it would be flaped.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I was thinking about getting the lightest gray Lesser tropical (similar shade to your Airborne), but if I did that, it would be flaped.

Why would you get the light grey Lesser flaped? - just personal preference or, like FNB, do you believe longevity will be compromised with patch pockets?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I currently have the light gray Minnis Fresco #0511 in work with Raphael and we are doing it unlined with triple patch pockets on the coat.

Add the fact that a certain someone wouldn't be caught dead in it, and you have sartorial Nirvana!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I currently have the light gray Minnis Fresco #0511 in work with Raphael and we are doing it unlined with triple patch pockets on the coat.

Add the fact that a certain someone wouldn't be caught dead in it, and you have sartorial Nirvana!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

That really is a beautiful cloth. Not even a quarter lining? - aggressive, but I like it!

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My last order was a Minnis Fresco suit (midweight). I thought about patch pockets, but I really intended it to be a versatile multi-climate, multi-location, travel and work suit (3 pc + extra trousers). I decided patch pockets were just too casual, plus I couldn't see wearing it with a vest. If I had ordered the same lightweight fresco you did, I would likely have crossed over that same line with you.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That really is a beautiful cloth. Not even a quarter lining? - aggressive, but I like it!

Just a bit of lining at the neck and in the sleeves, so unlined is a bit of a misnomer. But all the internal seams will be taped with blue hammered silk satin.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Why would you get the light grey Lesser flaped?

Partly because I know I am going to do my gray mohair patched, and I don't want them to look too, too similar. But mostly, I looked at the cloth, and in my mind's eye, it looked like it need flaps. I can't really explain it.

Mohair for me is such a quintessential summer cloth that a casual detail like patch pockets seems to be called for, or at least to work well. Tropical wool, not so much. It's more of a straight business cloth made in light weights simply as a concession to the weather. I got my tan tropical with patch because of the color. I don't think I would ever do it with gray or blue tropical.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 108 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads