• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Miami Vice

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True story: My wife's uncle is the drummer for HMS, who had three songs featured in the show (including the last song of the last episode).

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mann wanted to use songs by the actual artist, rather than generic covers, even though the royalties were more expensive. One of the first TV shows in the US to do that.

Also one of the reasons why it took so long for the series to be offered as a DVD box set (pre streaming days of course).

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also one of the reasons why it took so long for the series to be offered as a DVD box set (pre streaming days of course).

at least it had the music...remember tour of duty? DVD came with random crappy music..

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it doesn't show up

when wearing a Miami style outfit i also like to have Ras Kass - Miami Life playing in my head "Miami Life, at any price, keep my pockets right/Eff the po-lice, Miami Life ain't nothin nice"
When I put on MY pastels, I'm always thinking of "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins, and driving my convertible very fast at night...

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanna get your Crockett on?

It helps if you ...

Live in Florida (or the southern states)
Own some linen threads in white and/or pastels
Have an excuse such as the July 4th Essence Festival White Party
Have a beautiful exotic companion

364A2E93-5543-4101-AB84-08ACC9CFA09A.jpeg

I wrote about the influence of the eighties including Miami Vice here:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I put on MY pastels, I'm always thinking of "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins, and driving my convertible very fast at night...

not just any convertible. A Ferrari Daytona and on your way to kill Senor Calderon.

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
ahem..
some good renditions of the crockett theme are
by Michael Cassette

and by Kebu (Live)

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It helps if you ...

View attachment 1418324

sorry is this fo' real or for halloween :)

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It helps if you ...

View attachment 1418324

That’s a great article! It’s easy to look back in Miami Vice and view the styles in retrospect as kitsch. However, it was the common style in southern Florida and for those of us who grew up during the 80’s, we remember it was the show that brought the style to the rest of the country (in the age before the internet and social media, TV was how such things circulated).

The show also set the new style and fashion rather than just following it.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s a great article! It’s easy to look back in Miami Vice and view the styles in retrospect as kitsch. However, it was the common style in southern Florida and for those of us who grew up during the 80’s, we remember it was the show that brought the style to the rest of the country (in the age before the internet and social media, TV was how such things circulated).

The show also set the new style and fashion rather than just following it.
Cheers matey.
I remember having a summer job in an office in Newcastle in 1986. A few of the fellas I worked with who were planning their “lads’ holidays” in Southern Europe were looking forward to the chance to wear ‘slip ons’ with no socks and linen strides a la Sonny Crockett! Not much chance to do that in the cold and wet northeast England. It’s easy to laugh at that now but like you say, that was the aspiration of young lads at the time as MV style was such a pervasive influence.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
For real! I remember “inheriting” an old white/ecru linen suit and paring it with espadrilles and a BRIGHTLY coloured t-shirt. I can tell you that even for a perfectly ordinary boy like me at the time it made quite a splash with a girl I was interested in at the time...
?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads