• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Miami Vice

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If that question was directed to me ... yes, in Out Where the Buses Don’t Run Crockett & Tubbs get help from a crazy, retired cop played (very well) by Bruce McGill (who worked with Mann in Ali and Collateral and ... something else). McGill later played a cop for several seasons in Rizzoli & Isles.

McGill went nuts after the drug lord he and his partner had worked hard to bust “got off on a technicality.” So he spent years trying to recatch him. EXCEPT...

We learn in the last scene that McGill’s character (Hank) had actually killed the drug dude shortly after the trial and hid the body behind a bricked up wall with the help of his partner (Marty), played by a young David Strathairn (Bourne Ultimatum).

Also in the episode was Little Richard playing a street preacher they spot in a park (as Baba O’Riley by The Who fades out).

Mann wanted to use songs by the actual artist, rather than generic covers, even though the royalties were more expensive. One of the first TV shows in the US to do that.

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True story: My wife's uncle is the drummer for HMS, who had three songs featured in the show (including the last song of the last episode).

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mann wanted to use songs by the actual artist, rather than generic covers, even though the royalties were more expensive. One of the first TV shows in the US to do that.
Also one of the reasons why it took so long for the series to be offered as a DVD box set (pre streaming days of course).

Proleet

Reaction score
Also one of the reasons why it took so long for the series to be offered as a DVD box set (pre streaming days of course).
at least it had the music...remember tour of duty? DVD came with random crappy music..

Lit Up

Reaction score
what ebay keywords do I need if I want to dress like crockett?

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it doesn't show up

when wearing a Miami style outfit i also like to have Ras Kass - Miami Life playing in my head "Miami Life, at any price, keep my pockets right/Eff the po-lice, Miami Life ain't nothin nice"
When I put on MY pastels, I'm always thinking of "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins, and driving my convertible very fast at night...

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanna get your Crockett on?

It helps if you ...

Live in Florida (or the southern states)
Own some linen threads in white and/or pastels
Have an excuse such as the July 4th Essence Festival White Party
Have a beautiful exotic companion

364A2E93-5543-4101-AB84-08ACC9CFA09A.jpeg

I wrote about the influence of the eighties including Miami Vice here:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I put on MY pastels, I'm always thinking of "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins, and driving my convertible very fast at night...
not just any convertible. A Ferrari Daytona and on your way to kill Senor Calderon.

Adsky Luck

Reaction score
ahem..
some good renditions of the crockett theme are
by Michael Cassette

and by Kebu (Live)

dauster

Reaction score

It helps if you ...

View attachment 1418324

sorry is this fo' real or for halloween :)

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It helps if you ...

View attachment 1418324

That’s a great article! It’s easy to look back in Miami Vice and view the styles in retrospect as kitsch. However, it was the common style in southern Florida and for those of us who grew up during the 80’s, we remember it was the show that brought the style to the rest of the country (in the age before the internet and social media, TV was how such things circulated).

The show also set the new style and fashion rather than just following it.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s a great article! It’s easy to look back in Miami Vice and view the styles in retrospect as kitsch. However, it was the common style in southern Florida and for those of us who grew up during the 80’s, we remember it was the show that brought the style to the rest of the country (in the age before the internet and social media, TV was how such things circulated).

The show also set the new style and fashion rather than just following it.
Cheers matey.
I remember having a summer job in an office in Newcastle in 1986. A few of the fellas I worked with who were planning their “lads’ holidays” in Southern Europe were looking forward to the chance to wear ‘slip ons’ with no socks and linen strides a la Sonny Crockett! Not much chance to do that in the cold and wet northeast England. It’s easy to laugh at that now but like you say, that was the aspiration of young lads at the time as MV style was such a pervasive influence.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
For real! I remember “inheriting” an old white/ecru linen suit and paring it with espadrilles and a BRIGHTLY coloured t-shirt. I can tell you that even for a perfectly ordinary boy like me at the time it made quite a splash with a girl I was interested in at the time...
😂

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.