• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

roots1976

Reaction score
Great thread but after reading the entire thread I'm still not sure what is the best option for a slim, warm (Toronto winters) and good quality coat that won't chew up my sweaters.
Schott seems to be hit and miss with quality.
Vintage is a gamble for finding something in like new condition.
So I guess Sterlingwear authentic coat is the best bet?

The Schott 740N pea coat is insanely warm. Even though temperatures are only a few degrees above freezing point over here in Germany a t-shirt is all I wear with that coat at the moment. Gloves, a beanie, done! And, no idea where you heard about quality issues, but my Schott is a really well-crafted US made product without any flaws at all. Highly recommended...

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had actually done this (calling to double check the quality and measurements of the specific coat). I guess he must have just missed the things I saw.

With that said, though, Gary was very professional, quick to reply, and accommodating.

Well, then you did everything that you were supposed to do. It is a pain to send something back, but you want to be satisfied with what you get. There are good coats in his store. (I know because I got one of them.) Good luck.

Peacoat

Reaction score

So my 38R kersey wool peacoat came in from Vintage Trends. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite as good as I expected it to be.

If you look closely, when the coat is buttoned up, the two columns of buttons are not symmetrical; rather, the left column of buttons seems to be at the center of the coat while the right column is more off to the side. As you could imagine, it looks a little strange when you try putting it on.

Also, there were a few signs of wear on the left sleeve, as well as a small tear in a seam on the inside of the jacket (near the vent). The coat itself is beautiful, though.

It's a bit of a hassle, but I'll probably return the coat and get a different one. I have my eyes set on the coat below. To my naked eye, it looks like it doesn't have the asymmetrical buttons like the coat above, and 36R seems to be more my size than 38R. 

Someone has moved the buttons to give more room in the chest. It isn't a problem to move them back to the original position if you like the rest of the coat. By moving the buttons, that will make the coat fit tighter.

The bottom photo appears to have had the last two buttons on the right moved for some reason. Very odd.

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Schott 740N pea coat is insanely warm. Even though temperatures are only a few degrees above freezing point over here in Germany a t-shirt is all I wear with that coat at the moment. Gloves, a beanie, done! And, no idea where you heard about quality issues, but my Schott is a really well-crafted US made product without any flaws at all. Highly recommended...

Have seen some quality issues with Schott such as the wool shedding an abnormal amount (itchy as hell when it falls down your shirt collar) and the buttons being sewn crooked, falling off or sewn straight through the pocket linings.

breakHARD77

Reaction score
Someone has moved the buttons to give more room in the chest. It isn't a problem to move them back to the original position if you like the rest of the coat. By moving the buttons, that will make the coat fit tighter.
The bottom photo appears to have had the last two buttons on the right moved for some reason. Very odd.

Didn't notice that before. Odd.

For Peacoat/Clarinet, would you say that kersey wool is less fuzzy than melton wool? That was the only distinguishing factor that I could really make out. It's definitely more comfortable than my J. Crew peacoat was on the back of my neck, as my skin there is pretty sensitive.

Peacoat

Reaction score

For Peacoat/Clarinet, would you say that kersey wool is less fuzzy than melton wool? That was the only distinguishing factor that I could really make out. It's definitely more comfortable than my J. Crew peacoat was on the back of my neck, as my skin there is pretty sensitive.

The Kersey is not fuzzy at all; it is a smooth soft wool that should cause no problems with the back of one's neck, even when worn with a collarless shirt--although that isn't a good idea if one is in a cold climate.

Last edited:

nystyle86

Reaction score
So I have a Sterlingwear current Navy issue and I love it. But I noticed that I get shoulder/neck pain when I wear the peacoat the whole day. I never had similar problems with winter coats. I assume it's the heavier weight of peacoats compared to fleece or down. So anyone else have discomfort from prolonged peacoat wear?

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Kearsey wool does have a smoother, softer feel. The other day, I was wearing my 1949 vintage peacoat at Brooks Bros. The tailor saw the coat and immediately recognized it as Kearsey wool. He had a couple of the sales clerks grab their current BB peacoat (which sells for $400+) for comparison. The tailor pointed out how shoddy some of the workmanship is on the BB coat and pointed out all the small details in the craftsmanship of the vintage coat. No one could believe that my coat was 60+ years old. It looks and feels new. So, mint condition coats do exist. I was lucky.

As to your coat with the buttons moved and the other problems, perhaps a visit to a competent tailor would be in order. If the price for fixing all the concerns isn't too much, then keeping the coat is an option. However, if the cost is too much, then sending it back for a coat in better condition might be justified.

Last edited:

bb714

Reaction score

So I have a Sterlingwear current Navy issue and I love it. But I noticed that I get shoulder/neck pain when I wear the peacoat the whole day. I never had similar problems with winter coats. I assume it's the heavier weight of peacoats compared to fleece or down. So anyone else have discomfort from prolonged peacoat wear?

This might be an obvious question...but is it too tight?

roots1976

Reaction score
Have seen some quality issues with Schott such as the wool shedding an abnormal amount (itchy as hell when it falls down your shirt collar) and the buttons being sewn crooked, falling off or sewn straight through the pocket linings.

Now, that sounds bad. But all the Schott pea coats I've seen so far, mine included, were flawless. And I've been wearing mine intensely for a couple weeks now without any wool getting lost. Buttons are all sewn straight as well. Best coat I ever got...

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hit and miss like tricky said above. About the wool shedding, I asked Gail at Schott about this a long time ago and she told me it was normal.

Hollywars

Reaction score
After buying a +J peacoat in XL, I realize a J.Crew peacoat in L or XL would've fit me better. Oh well.

evilbananas

Reaction score
My favorite peacoat is still the Inapt from a couple years ago. I have been wearing that multiple seasons and it's starting to go. Would like to find a suitable replacement.

I purchased a navy issued 34S (currently selling), but it's not as slim. Will keep looking I guess...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 108 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads