• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tempted to order a jumper boot in museum shell from rocada in either navy or green ... How much would I be saving? (Total comes to $455 when I spec it up)
I suspect you meant Rocado; although my personal experience shows their shell to be slightly inferior to Horween. $455 is a great price for a pair of shell boots.

flashkobalt

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I figured...I think my standards/requirements are below many who would prefer to perhaps spend a little more and get horween.... I'm kinda looking for that balance between cordovan properties and cool finishes like museum... Probably my sweet spot... Now the tough decision between the museum green or blue

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rocado black marbled shell
0FDFB10D-1966-4708-812F-004A747A725D.jpeg

flashkobalt

Reaction score
They look great... Decided to go green for something a little different... If they're good, hopefully they have another boot event...

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look great... Decided to go green for something a little different... If they're good, hopefully they have another boot event...
I have a couple pairs of green, they turned out well. The PT‘s are marbled green, the NST’s are olive.
4799D281-07EF-476C-9B2C-31618179D37C.jpeg

3D25955C-99ED-43B8-BAE2-76C9B8BEFD2E.jpeg

flashkobalt

Reaction score
Damn those look splendid - interesting, but still versatile enough ... Maybe I should have just thrown caution to the winds and gotten the navy museum too

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn those look splendid - interesting, but still versatile enough ... Maybe I should have just thrown caution to the winds and gotten the navy museum too
I almost pulled the trigger on a navy museum pair, but self control prevailed and I only added a kudu shearling this time.

bpt7594

Reaction score
I have a question regarding sizing especially the toe box. I have tried their Chelseas in Hiro 8, Oxford in Jim 7.5 (both in E width). My question is regarding the toe box. I don't think I have especially large or long toes but when I tried them on, the fit in general is OK (minimal heel slip, largest part of my feet at the right place etc) but my toes are slightly squished together (not overlap etc just very close together). If I try a half size larger I have heel slip and it feels like I'm swimming in the shoes. I feel slight rubbing on the 4th toe by the toe box in both of these lasts. Is there a difference between the size of the toe box between E and G width ? Or is this just for the ball ?

Is this to be expected for dress shoes/boots in general ? I'm more accustomed to wearing sneakers where my toes aren't squished and I've been wanting to dress more formally for my new job hence the question.

Last edited:

Angel91

Reaction score
It happens to me too in the ones I have, like the toe box is a bit more snug and sometimes I feel some pressure on top and on the sides. It doesn’t happen to me in other brands so I suppose it’s their lasting.

bpt7594

Reaction score
It happens to me too in the ones I have, like the toe box is a bit more snug and sometimes I feel some pressure on top and on the sides. It doesn’t happen to me in other brands so I suppose it’s their lasting.
Does it get better with wear or does it stay the same ? Where I’m from most shoes about the same price as Meermin are Blake so I might as well get Meermin. Upping the price range while staying in my budget I can only find D width which is even narrower.

Angel91

Reaction score
You get used to it I suppose… I’m not sure it goes away.
The hiro has a very narrow toe box I’m my opinion, had to give them away.
The hok rod is ok, a bit snug but not uncomfortable.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don’t have enough room in the ball area, and your toes are squished don’t wear the shoes. You will develop bunions over time if you continue to do this. The last you are attempting to wear is clearly not wide enough for your foot. Sometimes certain lasts just don’t work for a foot.
It would benefit you to go to a shoe store in your area, and have your foot measured on a sizing device. I suspect you need a wide fitting shoe, (US E or EEE). There is definitely a difference in an E and G shoe. Meermin E is roughly equivalent to a US D, a Meermin G is roughly equivalent to a US E.

bpt7594

Reaction score
If you don’t have enough room in the ball area, and your toes are squished don’t wear the shoes. You will develop bunions over time if you continue to do this. The last you are attempting to wear is clearly not wide enough for your foot. Sometimes certain lasts just don’t work for a foot.
It would benefit you to go to a shoe store in your area, and have your foot measured on a sizing device. I suspect you need a wide fitting shoe, (US E or EEE). There is definitely a difference in an E and G shoe. Meermin E is roughly equivalent to a US D, a Meermin G is roughly equivalent to a US E.
Thanks for your input. The issue is I only feel a slight pressure, not like my toes are hurting, hence my confusion. Do you know on the chart of Meermin’s Lasts, the insole width is supposed to be the width from the 2 furthest point of the foot? Or just the ball? Because it seems like those 2 are not the same.

My measurements are : 267mm length
Insole width: 97mm
Ball girth : 240mm

Based on the insole width (I’m not sure if I’m measuring it correctly) Hiro size 8 UK (based on the foot length 270.6mm) only has an insole width of 95mm? So I need like 2mm more on the width?

Very sorry for asking these simple questions since I’m new to this.

Last edited:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. The issue is I only feel a slight pressure, not like my toes are hurting, hence my confusion. Do you know on the chart of Meermin’s Lasts, the insole width is supposed to be the width from the 2 furthest point of the foot? Or just the ball? Because it seems like those 2 are not the same.

My measurements are : 267mm length
Insole width: 97mm
Ball girth : 240mm

Based on the insole width (I’m not sure if I’m measuring it correctly) Hiro size 8 UK (based on the foot length 270.6mm) only has an insole width of 95mm? So I need like 2mm more on the width?

Very sorry for asking these simple questions since I’m new to this.
Sorry I can’t answer that question. You can shoot Meermin an email and they will answer it for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads