• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Usonian

Reaction score
Just got my MTO unlined taupe suede wholecuts today. I don't... hate them? Despite Meermin's measurements that the 9.5s in RUI would be just as if not wider than the HIRO in 10 (which they are not) my second biggest beef is that the leather is like a dark greige as opposed to a soft cream as was advertised? I'm pretty easy going so I'm not sure the color is enough for me to send em back (not that I can cause MTO), but the color is just NOT as was advertised, which is not the first time this has happened... shame on me?

anyone have experience with the unlined wholecuts stretching out comfortably after being ever so slightly uncomfortably tight?

I'm disappointed, but honestly not terribly surprised... They seem to be well constructed otherwise, but fit is big (obviously) as is expected color...

IMG_3067.jpg
IMG_3068.jpg

Last edited:

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my MTO unlined taupe suede wholecuts today. I don't... hate them? Despite Meermin's measurements that the 9.5s in RUI would be just as if not wider than the HIRO in 10 (which they are not) my second biggest beef is that the leather is like a dark greige as opposed to a soft cream as was advertised? I'm pretty easy going so I'm not sure the color is enough for me to send em back (not that I can cause MTO), but the color is just NOT as was advertised, which is not the first time this has happened... shame on me?

anyone have experience with the unlined wholecuts stretching out comfortably after being ever so slightly uncomfortably tight?

I'm disappointed, but honestly not terribly surprised... They seem to be well constructed otherwise, but fit is big (obviously) as is expected color...
My unlined meermin suede loafers stretch out everywhere but the strap (which tbh is the place I'd like a bit of give, but its manageable.)

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I ordered boots in 11 and 11.5 HOK last to test size and the 11.5 in Rusty Waxxy Commander boots were a bit big (and oddly long). I went to try the 11s on, the rust suede Chelseas, and I realized I don’t know how they are supposed to fit (first pair of Chelseas). I couldn’t really get my foot into the boots, not without risking creasing the leather which I didn’t want to do in case they didn’t fit.

Should they fit tight at the ankle? Should I just muscle them on? The suede is a little rough so id likely return them even if they fit, but I’m honestly not sure. FWIW Viberg 2030 last 11.5 and Alden barrie 11.5E are both perfect fits.
If it's the wholecut pattern, then it'll generally fit a bit tighter than the non-wholecut chelseas and this is also relative to one's ankles. The shaft will also naturally stretch due to the goretex stretching when slipping on/off and flexing when walking. If everything else fits good, then that's your size, and I wouldn't worry too much about the ankle unless you are planning on only purchasing chelseas on the HOK last, and not jumper boots etc.

View attachment 1630585 View attachment 1630586
I think Meermin is wildly inconsistent with their loafers, but the ROIS last is definitely roomier .5 size down than my HIRO size tts. I have a pair of wholecut unlined loafers in cognac hatch. Initially, I thought I miss-sized, added a tongue pad and the fit was more secured but they have definitely stretched all around. I wear them with socks and without, and in both they feel stretched. I'd say give them time and within 2-3 weeks of constant regular wear they'll break-in, but careful in going out on long outings where you'll be walking regularly for the sake of your heels during the break-in. I remember going on a long dog walk during the break-in and I was limping back home, and mind you this was after a couple of solid wearings.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered two pairs of pennies in the loafer MTO. Supposed to be delivered in May. Advised by Meermin to size down half a size from my various other Meermins which are all 7.5.
Burgundy grain arrived. Size 7. Fit was VERY close. Had to send them back as there was a weird growth like a gouge out of the insole in the toe area with a blob of glue. Asked if they would stretch them while repairing. Was told they would. Still waiting for delivery.
Blue ones yet to arrive. Asked if they could do them in 7.5 rather than 7 but was told they were already in production.
Will report back if anyone’s interested but a bit pissed off that Meermin advised me to size down and unless there’s a lot of give or they’re able to be successfully stretched my feet are in for a bashing. I better get some thin socks!

Usonian

Reaction score
I think Meermin is wildly inconsistent with their loafers, but the ROIS last is definitely roomier .5 size down than my HIRO size tts. I have a pair of wholecut unlined loafers in cognac hatch. Initially, I thought I miss-sized, added a tongue pad and the fit was more secured but they have definitely stretched all around. I wear them with socks and without, and in both they feel stretched. I'd say give them time and within 2-3 weeks of constant regular wear they'll break-in, but careful in going out on long outings where you'll be walking regularly for the sake of your heels during the break-in. I remember going on a long dog walk during the break-in and I was limping back home, and mind you this was after a couple of solid wearings.

Must be the case, because while I could probably use an extra quarter size up in the toe area on my HIROs, and these guys are technically supposed to be a few MM wider, I'm not sure they are... How much did yours stretch out?

Also, advice on wearing them without socks entirely? I tried them on this morning without socks (even the super thin dude peds I was planning on using) and they fit much more comfortably, but I cannot imagine any scenario where i don't get swamp foot without socks...

My unlined meermin suede loafers stretch out everywhere but the strap (which tbh is the place I'd like a bit of give, but its manageable.)

Did you get the penny loafer style or wholecuts? there's a second piece of leather lining on the wholecuts on the interior for I assume extra strength so it won't stretch out. I'm mostly just... generally concerned... heels a little tight, toes a little tight, the strap area is probably the least concerning for me right now. Are they comfortable now?

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Must be the case, because while I could probably use an extra quarter size up in the toe area on my HIROs, and these guys are technically supposed to be a few MM wider, I'm not sure they are... How much did yours stretch out?

Also, advice on wearing them without socks entirely? I tried them on this morning without socks (even the super thin dude peds I was planning on using) and they fit much more comfortably, but I cannot imagine any scenario where i don't get swamp foot without socks...

Did you get the penny loafer style or wholecuts? there's a second piece of leather lining on the wholecuts on the interior for I assume extra strength so it won't stretch out. I'm mostly just... generally concerned... heels a little tight, toes a little tight, the strap area is probably the least concerning for me right now. Are they comfortable now?
I have the penny and yeah they're fairly comfortable I would say. I have a weird time with loafers and have resigned myself not to buy anymore until I go and get sized at a manufacturer store and then take home what fits me from there.

standaloneprotein

Reaction score
20210629_103404.jpeg
20210629_105836.jpeg
20210629_103430.jpeg
20210629_103353.jpeg

If someone were to tell me that these are shell I would probably raise an eyebrow, but supposedly they are and the boots look better than I thought. They are a bit more reddish, and they don't look like CXL, CXL is a bit more yellowish/green in comparison.They are relatively easy to leave marks.

Fit wise, they fit like an actual boot (I don't know how Meermin pushes for a last like Hiro) The ROD/HOK last is definitely more comfortable. I like my boots to fit snug, so I sized down 0.5. If you don't like that, go TTS. (Brannock 9.5) and I took UK8.

Attachments

• IMG_20210629_115040.jpeg
    IMG_20210629_115040.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

melcahoon

Reaction score
I got my shell boots today (like the ones listed above). Despite numerous calls, emails and chats to determine my size, they are too small. I am gutted, because I _really_ like them. I ordered a 7 and should have ordered a 7.5. I am a US 8.5 D just for reference. I am guessing there is no chance for an exchange at this point, but I have asked them anyway. I am very impressed by them regardless...

standaloneprotein

Reaction score
I got my shell boots today (like the ones listed above). Despite numerous calls, emails and chats to determine my size, they are too small.
I do have to admit mine are a bit more snug that I normally wear but I'll share what I do. Get a shoe tree that is 1 or 0.5 size bigger (like the one in the picture) and leave it overnight, I will suggest to shave a few mm of wood from the heel before putting it inside (as they tend to come with a relatively wide heel. It will make a big difference. It will accelerate the break in process and you will be able to use them without any aggressive stretching.

I forgot, post photos of your boots!

Last edited:

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do have to admit mine are a bit more snug that I normally wear but I'll share my trick. Get a shoe tree that is 1 or 0.5 size bigger (like the one in the picture) and leave it overnight, I will suggest to shave a few mm of wood from the heel before putting it inside (as they tend to come with a relatively wide heel. It will make a big difference. It will accelerate the break in process and you will be able to use them without any aggressive stretching.

I forgot, post photos of your boots!
71ijHeZ1nVL._AC_UL1500_.jpg
I have used a similar trick but with the correct shoe tree and a heavy sock on top of it, moistured with a shoe stretch foam. It has worked pretty well with a pair of boots that were half a size smaller than what I needed after a few days of treatment but in my case, they were suede, not horse butt that is a somehow stiffer leather.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got my shell boots today (like the ones listed above). Despite numerous calls, emails and chats to determine my size, they are too small. I am gutted, because I _really_ like them. I ordered a 7 and should have ordered a 7.5. I am a US 8.5 D just for reference. I am guessing there is no chance for an exchange at this point, but I have asked them anyway. I am very impressed by them regardless...
The problem with these particular boots IMO, are the sole inserts, they are particularly thick. I also ordered a half size smaller as well. I took the inserts out and used regular inserts from another pair of shoes, the fit is perfect with those smaller inserts.

lfzhao5

Reaction score
I have used a similar trick but with the correct shoe tree and a heavy sock on top of it, moistured with a shoe stretch foam. It has worked pretty well with a pair of boots that were half a size smaller than what I needed after a few days of treatment but in my case, they were suede, not horse butt that is a somehow stiffer leather.

I don't think shell stretches, for other leather that trick would work, specially CXL.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think shell stretches, for other leather that trick would work, specially CXL.
This…
I would be very surprised if one were able to stretch shell Cordovan to make a pair of shoes fit better.

melcahoon

Reaction score
I appreciate the tips here. I pulled the insole out and you are right - they are really thick. They fit great without an insole and I am surprised that they can be worn that way without something sticking in my foot. I may look for a thin insole, but it is going to have to be really thin to still work. I will post some photos later - but thank you for the replies! I do have a 1 size larger shoe tree and I put it in, but I have never been able to "stretch" shell to fit. Not sure about this one because this shell is so different, but I don't think a test is going to hurt so I will give it a shot. I am interested to see what these look like after a few wears. Will the rolls be the same as regular shell? I will report back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads