• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was that the no-name-tannery $350 shell boot?

weren’t those before the custom field boot GMTO?
The gmtos without customization choices get finished faster than the ones with. It takes a lot longer to make tons of one-offs than it does to do some batches all the same.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The gmtos without customization choices get finished faster than the ones with. It takes a lot longer to make tons of one-offs than it does to do some batches all the same.
That was still fast for a GMTO. It seems like it was 2 months ago, props to Meermin for scaling the production line. Interested to see how these turn out.

ValooAU

Reaction score
They definitely were a surprise! I was braced for another month wait or so.

Album here

Tried to make it as daylight accurate as I could for midnight.

I like them! Very comfortable straight away, and the leather has a very interesting depth. Different in all lighting and from different angles.

It looks like they will lighten up where the wax wears off.

Last edited:

lfzhao5

Reaction score

Album here

I like them! Very comfortable straight away, and the leather has a very interesting depth. Different in all lighting and from different angles.

Curious if it get can rain spots? any micro creases when you flex like Shinki's shell?

standaloneprotein

Reaction score

Album here

I am almost certain that Meermin made those boots with the Stitchdown "Patina Thunderdome"contest in mind. (They are sponsors anyway) I wanted to participate but don't feel like paying $50 to be part of their Premium community.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Album here

Very nice, thanks for posting imagery of them. I’m guessing that mine getting to the States is imminent. I apologize if you posted about this already, but how did you size on HOK in comparison to other Meermin lasts. More importantly, how did your choice turn out?

ValooAU

Reaction score
Curious if it get can rain spots? any micro creases when you flex like Shinki's shell?

I'm curious myself. But these things are jam packed with oils and waxes so I'd be surprised. It's winter here so I'll find out shortly anyway!

No micro creases seem to be forming at all, just some what of a pull up/lightening where the toe creases.

ValooAU

Reaction score
I am almost certain that Meermin made those boots with the Stitchdown "Patina Thunderdome"contest in mind. (They are sponsors anyway) I wanted to participate but don't feel like paying $50 to be part of their Premium community.

That was actually one of my first thoughts when I got them! Almost seems like they'd be cheating for the patina thunderdome. Pity the competition only starts at the end of our winter.

ValooAU

Reaction score
Very nice, thanks for posting imagery of them. I’m guessing that mine getting to the States is imminent. I apologize if you posted about this already, but how did you size on HOK in comparison to other Meermin lasts. More importantly, how did your choice turn out?

I imagine so! Very curious to see how other pairs turn out as well.

I went TTS with HOK and got a 12 UK. I've worn 12 UK on some double monkstraps on the HIRO last, which fit me decently, albiet a bit too much heel slip. Got rid of those as they weren't my style.

These fit me very snug, which I like. They are snug across the vamp, and I have just enough room to wiggle my toes, so I'm glad I didn't size down. Width wise they're pretty spot on, and the flex point seems like it's in a great spot. Very little to no heel slip straight out the box. I've worn them with light-medium thickness merino wool socks so far.

It's probably worth noting that these do come with the removable memory foam insole which I've kept in. I feel like if I needed some more room for some very thick socks, I could just pop those out. Time will tell how much they give and form to the foot however!

I'm usually a standard 12 UK (13 US), and I wear a 12 (US) E (wide) in Grant Stone Leo last, a 12.5 (US) in Thursday Boots, and a 12G (AU/UK) in RM Williams for reference.

Sinbios

Reaction score
Is it just me or does the nap make it look more like a waxed suede than shell?

ALaJYER.jpg

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or does the nap make it look more like a waxed suede than shell?

ALaJYER.jpg
It doesn't remind me of waxed suede, but it is slightly reminiscent of smooth chamois. It looks great tho. I have a pair of boots in Guidi calf and it has a very fine nap to it similar to yours.

ryebreadiest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I ordered boots in 11 and 11.5 HOK last to test size and the 11.5 in Rusty Waxxy Commander boots were a bit big (and oddly long). I went to try the 11s on, the rust suede Chelseas, and I realized I don’t know how they are supposed to fit (first pair of Chelseas). I couldn’t really get my foot into the boots, not without risking creasing the leather which I didn’t want to do in case they didn’t fit.

Should they fit tight at the ankle? Should I just muscle them on? The suede is a little rough so id likely return them even if they fit, but I’m honestly not sure. FWIW Viberg 2030 last 11.5 and Alden barrie 11.5E are both perfect fits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads