• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CandMag

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been reading this tread for some time, and finally I ordered two pairs of Meermins. After a (for me) long wait (about 5 weeks incl. shipping), they finally arrived yesterday.

These are the pairs I ordered:
101509 - Dark Brown Grain Longwings (Hiro last, UK9.5)
101487 - Chestnut Country Calf Bal Boots (Rui Last, UK9)

Overall, I am really pleased with the quality. However, I can't stop thinking that the fit could have been better, and sadly I am the type of guy that if I know there is a better alternative out there (i.e.. better size/fit) I will never be happy.

My size
I am a Brannock US 9.7E (wide). I am quite the novice in quality footwear but I do have 4 pairs:
- C&J loafers: last 337 in UK 8.5 (too tight in the instep and squeezing the pinky toe).
- Loding: (French brand) derbys in UK 8.5 (was tight on my pinky in the beginning, but fits perfect about about 15 wears).
- RM Williams Comfort Craftsman in AU 9H (wide) (The left foot is pretty much perfect out of the box, a tiny bit of heel slip on the right).
- Loake 1880 oxfords on the Capital last in UK 9F (pretty good fit out of the box, haven't used them much).

I ordered UK9.5 in the Hiro and UK9 in the Rui.

The Hiro has good width, but there is heel slippage and I feel the shoe is too long and clownish. Maybe the heel slip will disappear after breaking in?
Do you think I would be better off exchanging for a 9 in the Hiro?
I fear that the 9 might be too tight in the width. Maybe I just have to accept that Hiro is not for my wide feet.

The Rui fits pretty good, however I do feel that it is a tad too big. The vamps are touching when I lace them and even though there are no heel slippage I can feel my feet move a bit inside. Would it be better to size down to 8.5? Fear that if I do the exchange I will end up with shoes that are too small and I still won't be happy.

And BTW I only use thin dress-socks. It never gets really cold where I live.

SO, tl;dr: Should I take a chance and exchange the shoes for 0.5 smaller in both Rui and Hiro? Or is there really no big difference between 8.5 and 9 and I should just calm down and enjoy the shoes?

Thanks a lot!

H VictoryCigar

Reaction score
New comer here.

Found a pair of whole cut oxford (linea maestro line) in the Vil in size UK 6.5.

I wear Loake 1880 , last 3625 , UK 6.5 F (pretty good fit out of the box, about 1/2 forefinger space though haven't used the shoes much), i'd say my size is between UK 6 - 6.5 but slightly close to the latter.

The price of those pair whole cut is very attractive consider they are brand new ,i just wonder if it is worth for a try (no returns accepted) or is the Vil too tight for me even if taking half size up?

Thank you

keepsake89

Reaction score
I want to order the Brown Suede Double Monks (Hiro last).
I wear size 7E in AE Strands (65 Last).

Will size 7 on the Hiro last be too tight? 7.5 will be too long for me.
Since they're suede, they should give a little more after breaking in, right?

tbrock

Reaction score
Still waiting on my pair. More excited now than when I ordered them after seeing your picture. Meermin could do far better pictures. Have they seen any wax or cream yet? I'm assuming they have.

Marks11

Reaction score
Still waiting on my pair. More excited now than when I ordered them after seeing your picture. Meermin could do far better pictures. Have they seen any wax or cream yet? I'm assuming they have.

Haha, yes, their pictures do undersell the shoes a little.

I have darkened the toe cap with dark brown cream polish, as well as black polish on the toes. Medium brown wax/cream polish for the rest of the shoe.

Hope to see a photo of yours when they arrive
smile.gif

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Meermin Balmoral Boots in oak antique and brown country calf out in the wild:
Looks exceptionally good. I've always been hesitant to buy bal boots because I thought they wouldn't work with jeans but you made that look really good.

Marks11

Reaction score
Looks exceptionally good. I've always been hesitant to buy bal boots because I thought they wouldn't work with jeans but you made that look really good.

Yes, they are indeed very flexible. I've worn them with dress pants with people hardly noticing they are in fact boots. With jeans, if you turn your jeans up, it does give the boots a different look as well. Highly recommend them, can't complain much with the price point either.

Last edited:

Odradek

Reaction score
Can anyone say how accurate are Meermin's delivery estimates for their MTO shoes?

I ordered a pair of green boots back in mid-September, and they said delivery would be November. Nearing the end of the month now and not a peep from Meermin.
Is this normal?

Last edited:

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Marks11 very nice boots! I'm quite sad that I didn't buy any boots this year!

MrTopCat

Reaction score
Can anyone say how accurate are Meermin's delivery estimates for their MTO shoes?

I ordered a pair of green boots back in mid-September, and they said delivery would be November. Nearing the end of the month now and not a peep from Meermin.
Is this normal?

Sounds usual. I've had two MTOs and usually they ship at the end of the month or the beginning of the next month.

I had the same worries for your exact timeframe last year (September order, November shipping). Don't worry about it, they'll ship soon.

Last edited:

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds usual. I've had two MTOs and usually they ship at the end of the month or the beginning of the next month.

I had the same worries for your exact timeframe last year (September order, November shipping). Don't worry about it, they'll ship soon.

Do they send an email when they eventually ship?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcoPolos