• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking good for the most part even with the fears I have had.

If a dozen wears you have not noticed the color lightening that is probably a good sign.

Here an article from 2012 of how meermin was dealing with shell. This fellow's shell would lighen after 1 wear.
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?119749-Meermin

At the factory:

After a couple wears

After adding some color back:

Has any one with meermin shell experienced this?

I have a feeling meermin probably has a bettering dyeing process than in 2012 since I have not heard too many bad things about their shell since then.

Yes, that was my experience precisely. I bought mine in August 2012 and got those white lines every time I wore them. After several applications of Saphir's cordovan creme, the white lines went away, so likely had something to do with dryness. I used the colored cordovan creme due to finishing issues with my shoes. Here is a picture of them today:

Engi

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm in the market for a pair of oxford shoes in dark brown. My initial idea was the Meermin model 101198 with Hiro last ; I already own one pair of 101198 in black, but they are just a bit too snug in my toe area, so my question to you experts is if the 12153 model, with Olfe last, is wider in the toe than the 101198 with Hiro last.

Any other oxford model suggestion ?

Thanks,
Engi

Model 101198 with Hiro last

Model 12153 with Olfe last

leetpuma

Reaction score
Yes, that was my experience precisely. I bought mine in August 2012 and got those white lines every time I wore them. After several applications of Saphir's cordovan creme, the white lines went away, so likely had something to do with dryness. I used the colored cordovan creme due to finishing issues with my shoes. Here is a picture of them today:
Very interesting you own shell from the early days of meermin. (Similar to that guy that posted his on AAAC.)

(I have a feeling that Meermin has cleaned up this issue as I have heard very few issues posted by folks with2013 shell pairs onwards)

It is good to know that some color cream and renovatur fixed all the issues they look like an great pair. (And as good as any Horween shell pair i have seen )

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looking good new shoes. Have you had any issues with water spots? My 2012 meermin shell appears susceptible to water spots not sure if you've experienced the same an how you treated it. Thanks

Marbles

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm in the market for a pair of oxford shoes in dark brown. My initial idea was the Meermin model 101198 with Hiro last ; I already own one pair of 101198 in black, but they are just a bit too snug in my toe area, so my question to you experts is if the 12153 model, with Olfe last, is wider in the toe than the 101198 with Hiro last.

Any other oxford model suggestion ?

Thanks,
Engi
I find that the Olfe has very slightly more room through the toes than the Hiro

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The in-stock inventory is really lacking for shell offerings. Anybody interested in doing a group MTO for some shells? That is, if they even offer it...

They do. I've been wanting to try go get a MTO going for some Hiro/Olfe lasted chukkas, preferably unlined, for a while, but there hasn't been much interest.

rumble111

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm a bit confused my Meermin's website. There seem to be very few styles and it seems like you're almost forced to buy MTO, for which I find the 100 euro MTO fee negates the value offering which makes me interested in the first place.

Is this normal for the site?

I work at a digital agency where dress code is smart/casual - slacks, shirt, knit/jacket etc, so I'm after a nice pair of boots for the Aussie winter. The tan country calf looks nice but was hoping for something darker and surprised that's the only laced boot on offer.

It's possible Meermin is so in demand (judging by the amount of people who mention they're patiently waiting) that they have not RTW styles left?

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
How many people we need? Are you flexible with another style as well, ie derbies or oxfords?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
^^ (I am)

Rumble: they hold very little stock. It would actually be a blessing if the site has stopped showing things as in stock when they're not. I ordered a standard pair in February, finally got invoiced in April, and as yet they've not shipped...

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm flexible as well...(color and style)

So if we have 3 or so guys who are flexible, it might be easier to get the MTO going.

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really prefer the fit of boots, so I'm really only interested in a chukka.

I believe we need 6 people minimum.

Was thinking 3 eyelets, olfe, dark brown shell, double rubber sole. Could be talked into Hiro, but feel like Olfe will be a better fit for the boot.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Could do all of that - prefer leather soles, and I think the more relaxed Hiro last is better for a chukka, but I'm willing to pass on these to make it happen if it's a majority vote. I'd really like the Norwegian welt though: as it's a boot, and as it's shell, I think it's both appropriate, and more "special".

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would prefer to not MTO a boot since I already own dundees in dark brown, but perhaps a different shell color (not dark brown) and norwegian welt makes it more tempting. I'm all for the casual look - Hiro last, reverse welt, double sole, rubber sole, etc...

Let's see whether anybody else is interested in other shell makeups in derby or oxford.

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could do all of that - prefer leather soles, and I think the more relaxed Hiro last is better for a chukka, but I'm willing to pass on these to make it happen if it's a majority vote. I'd really like the Norwegian welt though: as it's a boot, and as it's shell, I think it's both appropriate, and more "special".

Would prefer to not MTO a boot since I already own dundees in dark brown, but perhaps a different shell color (not dark brown) and norwegian welt makes it more tempting. I'm all for the casual look - Hiro last, reverse welt, double sole, rubber sole, etc...

Let's see whether anybody else is interested in other shell makeups in derby or oxford.

I'd be happy with black or dark brown. Welt wise I was hoping for 360 degree flat. Soles I'm easy on so long as it's double.

Last wise the either the Hiro or Olfe are fine for me.

I was hoping for something to wear in place of a fairly clear derby, but in chukka boot form, which is where my makeup thoughts are coming from.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads