• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s kind of weird though they would decide not to carry it going forward. Ostmos may have popularized it but it’s still a vintage style which he even admits. Same thing happened with Viberg, they popularized the service boot and now every maker has one.
Its Lars' signature style though. I think he only makes his type 2 in his own size and rarely ever, so 99% of what he sells is the type 1 or the shoe IIRC. Its also an archival model from his heritage as well, and not just an old pattern he liked and decided to fully commit too. I don't think Meermin meant anything malicious and I don't think he took it that way either.

Also for the record Carmina has this sort of style also (but I don't think its ever a stock option, only an MTO one.) I think if this was one of several patterns it would have been glanced over, but the entire MTO event was based on this one specific pattern.

I do dig the pattern, and Ostmos are definitely a grail for me. I'd have considered picking these up, but I'm still waiting on my HOK scuffed shell boots to arrive and I'm not doubling down on a last I haven't gotten to try on yet.

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its Lars' signature style though. I think he only makes his type 2 in his own size and rarely ever, so 99% of what he sells is the type 1 or the shoe IIRC. Its also an archival model from his heritage as well, and not just an old pattern he liked and decided to fully commit too.

I still don’t see how this is different than when Viberg was the only one making service boots in their style based on a pattern the founder tweaked as a work boot in the 1930s. Now interpretations and straight up clones are available from everyone. Both are still vintage/archival patterns that aren’t original and can’t be claimed.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
It’s kind of weird though they would decide not to carry it going forward. Ostmos may have popularized it but it’s still a vintage style which he even admits. Same thing happened with Viberg, they popularized the service boot and now every maker has one.
I felt the same way yesterday. I’ve seen his work but it’s pretty much unattainable due to the nature of how he makes what he wants and sells by auction. That’s fair enough but as you said I don’t think it’s exactly a unique style. The stitching to the shaft as I understand it is the issue as that’d more his signature than the actual boot. As a caveat just because someone makes ltd releases doesn’t make them easy prey and I don’t think this has been the case and seems to have been resolved to both sides satisfaction.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Meermin will install metal toe plates?

Also, does anyone of pictures of the Brown Museum Shell?

I'd like some pictures of the Marbled cherry and marbled brown shell too, if possible.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Meermin will install metal toe plates?

Also, does anyone of pictures of the Brown Museum Shell?

I'd like some pictures of the Marbled cherry and marbled brown shell too, if possible.
Don’t think they will do toe plates, easy enough at a competent cobbler.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still don’t see how this is different than when Viberg was the only one making service boots in their style based on a pattern the founder tweaked as a work boot in the 1930s. Now interpretations and straight up clones are available from everyone. Both are still vintage/archival patterns that aren’t original and can’t be claimed.
Well wait the 2030 last we know and love was originally from Dayton and not Viberg right? And there were issues with like Truman going to trade shows and getting all the details on the 2030 last before they finally redid their lasts after taking a lot of flack since it was a carbon copy. Also Viberg is a full factory and Lars is one guy making 3 pairs a month only. Viberg wasn't happy about all the copies either.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this whole conversation is weird to me, how do all the companies that sell shoes at Payless get away with making clones of Nike, Adidas, ect.? I can understand maybe saying a last is proprietary and cannot be copied, but how does one say you cannot make a certain boot/shoe style? Also I read a few articles and the design that Lars uses he copied from somewhere himself?

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well wait the 2030 last we know and love was originally from Dayton and not Viberg right? And there were issues with like Truman going to trade shows and getting all the details on the 2030 last before they finally redid their lasts after taking a lot of flack since it was a carbon copy. Also Viberg is a full factory and Lars is one guy making 3 pairs a month only. Viberg wasn't happy about all the copies either.
The last was from Dayton but it was not developed by them. It’s from the Canadian government. When a company is awarded a contract to produce officer and parade boots they provide the pattern and last. And either way Viberg tweaked and modified it numerous times.
Yeah and I don’t think Ostmo will have a problem moving the two pairs he makes once a month because of this. Those are still going to sell. He’ll continue to make a random size in a random leather and have no problem selling it through his lotto system.
Viberg was upset and even called out Truman for copying a stockist specific miniripple makeup (I think Gentry?) and was laughed at and people made the argument that they can’t own an idea, especially one that is based on an old pattern even if it was developed and made unique.

Last edited:

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last was from Dayton but it was not developed by them. It’s from the Canadian government. When a company is awarded a contract to produce officer and parade boots they provide the pattern and last. And either way Viberg tweaked and modified it numerous times.
Yeah and I don’t think Ostmo will have a problem the two pairs he makes once a month because of this. Those are still going to sell. He’ll continue to make a random size in a random leather and have no problem selling it through his lotto system.
Viberg was upset and even called out Truman for copying a stockist specific miniripple makeup (I think Gentry?) and was laughed at and people made the argument that they can’t own an idea, especially one that is based on an old pattern even if it was developed and made unique.
Truman did change their last though. At that point you were looking at a smaller company copying a larger one, this is a large company copying a single craftsman. Truman doesn't even do stitchdown anymore. I think they're in the right spot for the kind of boots they want to make now too. I get Meermin's response. They started getting negative press from every "bootfluencer" too and they definitely didn't want that either.

rob g

Reaction score
this whole conversation is weird to me, how do all the companies that sell shoes at Payless get away with making clones of Nike, Adidas, ect.? I can understand maybe saying a last is proprietary and cannot be copied, but how does one say you cannot make a certain boot/shoe style? Also I read a few articles and the design that Lars uses he copied from somewhere himself?
Same here. I saw the MTO and all I thought was "Oh, a plain toe boot".

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Truman did change their last though. At that point you were looking at a smaller company copying a larger one, this is a large company copying a single craftsman. Truman doesn't even do stitchdown anymore. I think they're in the right spot for the kind of boots they want to make now too. I get Meermin's response. They started getting negative press from every "bootfluencer" too and they definitely didn't want that either.
Regardless of where Truman is today when that dust up happened a couple years ago not many people agreed with Viberg’s take and most people still don’t. If people want to be selective with their hand wringing then so be it.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regardless of where Truman is today when that dust up happened a couple years ago not many people agreed with Viberg’s take and most people still don’t. If people want to be selective with their hand wringing then so be it.
I dunno. I'm just glad to see this didn't become a big deal here between Lars and Meermin and they settled on good terms just verbally. Now if only they would fix their shipping without warning/giving tracking numbers next....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads