• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Med school interview - Tie/Shirt combination for dark navy blue suit

gomerpyle

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have a medical school interview coming up in a month. I just purchased a dark navy blue suit. I am probably going to get some new black shoes..

Anyways, I want to wear a RED tie. What color shirt should I wear? I don't want to do plain white. Can this combination work with a light blue shirt, or is it safe to just get a white shirt? If I get a white shirt, I want it to be checkered or striped. What do you guys think? Any specific suggestions (with brand names and where to buy) will be greatly appreciated! :)

Last edited:

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) The search function is you friend (surprisingly question about interview attire come up every second day)

2) If you wanna play it safe, go with a white shirt (nothing striped or checked), light blue works too. I would go with a dark red / wine / burgundy tie and not bright red like a fire truck - this color works with white and blue shirts.

mcbrown

Reaction score

So is this too "red"? The school represents a red color, which is why I am aiming for a red like this... I want to wear a light blue shirt as well. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016HNSOQ/ref=gno_cart_title_2
ir
is this all okay?
If you read the link I posted above you will find that white shirts are preferred for interviews, being the more conservative option (and also harder to screw up). Why do you feel so strongly about blue? Wearing a tie in school colors is almost certainly unnecessary, probably reeks of "trying too hard", and possibly comes off as extremely douchey.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So is this too "red"? The school represents a red color, which is why I am aiming for a red like this...

You are applying for medical school and not for a fraternity. So, adding university colors to your clothes is not necessary.

Frankly, professors at graduate schools, medical school, etc. are mainly concerned about their research and wanna know if you have the intellectual capacity to make it through the program and contribute to the institutes (and their) reputation. There is a certain probability that they do not even know the school colors.

The reason that most people recommend staying away from bright red for interviews is that it is a signal color which is associated with danger or no-go's.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing a tie in school colors is almost certainly unnecessary, probably reeks of "trying too hard", and possibly comes off as extremely douchey.

When I was in medical school, I participated in the interview process (interviewed prospective students, sat on the selection committee) and while the subject of a school-colors tie wouldn't ever come up in a discussion/meeting after the fact, wearing one (if I would've even picked up on it at the time) would probably seem pretty try-hard indeed. Everyone is different, but I'd certainly avoid trying to match your tie specifically to the school colors. Like others have said, a white shirt and a burgundy tie looks excellent with a navy suit, and it would indicate to me or any potential interviewer that you knew how to dress sharply and appropriately for an interview.

cds

Reaction score
As someone who interviews medical students (and sub-specialty fellows), I do have a few recommendations. In an effort for the interviewer to disregard poor modes of dress and focus on your obviously stellar application and MCAT scores, your purchase of a simple navy suit was a fantastic start. Now go to your tailor! It pains me to see sloppy fits, club gear masquerading as formality, duck bill shaped shoes and puddles of poorly hemmed trousers.

The black suit wearing kids frighten me - its not a funeral directors job. The shirt color would depend on your skin tone, but you cannot ever go wrong with a light blue pinpoint oxford or a blue/white broadcloth with modified spread collars - no button downs! I would strongly recommend simple colors for the tie - a navy/burgundy grenadine, blue/yellow repp or navy with pin dots. You're young - wear a slimmer tie if you and your suit have the build. Close the top button and learn to tie the bloody thing. Cannot go wrong with a brooks brothers tie at your age. Four or double four in hands are perfect knots for this situation.

Shoes should be round toed and oxfords. Bluchers are acceptable. Only black calfskin. Shave and a clean haircut are musts. You can grow a sloppy beard and mop of hair like I did after letters of acceptance are issued.

Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads