• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Meals that last a whole week

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
why do americans seem to exclusively use kosher salt?

even Ruhlmans Charcuterie book calls for kosher salt in ever recipe.

Mostly the fact that there's no iodine, kosher salt is very easily available in America (whether this is a cause or effect is a different matter), and it has a relatively low price compared to other salts.

Nice pics, Harvey. Thanks for posting that up.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Conne, I should have taken pics of the meal I cooked today, but it's super easy to make and absolutely delicious.

Get 2.5-3 lbs of short ribs (if you get bone in, get 3 lbs)
and sear them in a big pan, removing them when finished
Then dice up
2 stalks of celery
2 carrots
3 medium onions
and sweat them in the same pan you browned the ribs in
when they're sweated well, add some tomato paste, then add some flour.
Deglaze with a cup or two of red wine-- I'm sure you won't have any problem finding something to do with the rest of the bottle.
Add a can (16 oz) of tomatoes
Then put the ribs back in and add stock until you get about 2/3 of the way up the side of the ribs
Toss it into a 300 degree oven for 3 1/2-4 hours and then you're done.
Serve with polenta, mashed potatoes, pasta, whatever the F you want. It's easy to make and the ingredients are all dirt cheap. Also, if you'd prefer, you can do this all in a crockpot.

That much meat should last you a few days, and it tastes even better after it has been cooled overnight and reheated.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah... you don't want to be eating chili for a week straight...

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
why do americans seem to exclusively use kosher salt?

even Ruhlmans Charcuterie book calls for kosher salt in ever recipe.

Big crystals look good and are crunchy.

forStyle

Reaction score
dumplings last a long time. make a lot, freeze them. boil some when hungry.

you can switch up the fillings, like chicken or pork, different vegetables. can also fry them.

Great Satchmo

Reaction score
I'd definitely like to find some recipes that aren't chili or soup that last 2-4 days that are healthy, that are more veggie intensive.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Sunday night: Panera run.

Purchase 7 muffins, plus 14 sandwiches.

Eat one sandwich.

Refrigerate balance.

Every morning, eat one muffin. Every noon, eat one sammich. Every evening, eat second sammich.

When sammich and muffin supply are gone, is handy reminder to return to Panera.

Yum!

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Look up Keller's roast chicken. Super easy, lasts a few days. I could have it at least once a week and be happy. I've found pasta with any protein will last a week if you cook a full box. Roast a small beef loin make roast beef sandwiches all week...FTW.

Honestly, if you are cooking for one, a "standard" recipe will last several days.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd definitely like to find some recipes that aren't chili or soup that last 2-4 days that are healthy, that are more veggie intensive.

Any stir-fry works, since cooked rice re-heats nicely in a microwave. I portion out the rice with stir-fry on top into meal-sized packets once everything has cooled, so it's grab-and-go in the morning.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads