• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MBA / Finance wardrobe

tqd1

Reaction score
I was recently accepted to a top 10 MBA program and I will be going next year. Although things may change, my current plan is to recruit for investment banking.

Could anyone provide some guidance on what I should be looking at as far as a wardrobe for recruiting events, interviews, etc.?

My current thoughts were:

* 3 suits - 1 navy solid, 1 charcoal solid, 1 charcoal pinstripe
* 12-15 different dress shirts (I already have a solid collection of Tyrwhitt, Pink, a few bespoke ones)
* 5-8 different ties (again, already have several)
* I already have one pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues in black + 3 pairs of Ferragamo loafers. Do I need any more lace-ups?

I need to start on the suits from scratch. Most of the ones that I have do not fit very well.

What should I be budgeting for suits? I was thinking the highest I would need to go is Hickey Freeman or bespoke from mytailor? I don't want to go down to Jos A Bank, but I also don't want to go up to a Zegna. Any other suggestions?

Any advice would be appreciated -- especially from people who are in investment banking / top MBA programs. My budget is really only about $2000-3000 for new clothes, as I really think I have a fair amount of good stuff already that I can mix/match.

MAFA

Reaction score
It also depends on where you work. Some banks are business formal and in that case, I would pick up a few more suits and handful more ties as well as another pair of captoes or wingtips.

Other banks are less formal and you can definitely get away with your current wardrobe.

Since you haven't started yet, I think the current wardrobe suffices for recruiting purposes.

I would wait and strategically pick up items at good sale prices. (e.g. Allen Edmonds Factory Sale, Semi-Annual Brooks Brothers sale)

Again, for now, I think you are good for recruiting purposes. Once you get that offer, you can get a better sense of what is appropriate and what is not.

Hyped31

Reaction score
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=124996 That thread has some good stuff on finance specefic dress. Since you would be entering as an associate you would have some more flexibility. I would suggest starting with two suits, since you will have quite a bit of networking and interview events. Then wait to see what your firm goes with. You might end up needing a more casual look and 2 suits will suffice. All of the associates at my firm dress well, so I would recommend a MTM option. Like the above poster said, look for deals. If you go around Xmas time to a Saks off 5th or Nieman Last Call, you can get some great ties for 1/3 of the price. Although I am not a fan, Vineyard Vines seems to be a very popular selection for the associate level workers. Not sure why but figured I would note that.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't go overboard. MBAs in general dress pretty badly. About 50% wear loafers with their $200 solid black suits. They are in general excused though, many of them are only 25-28 years old, they don't know anything about clothes.

You don't necessarily need any more suits. Get some different shoes. Laced

tqd1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hyped31
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=124996

That thread has some good stuff on finance specefic dress. Since you would be entering as an associate you would have some more flexibility.

I would suggest starting with two suits, since you will have quite a bit of networking and interview events. Then wait to see what your firm goes with. You might end up needing a more casual look and 2 suits will suffice.

All of the associates at my firm dress well, so I would recommend a MTM option.

Like the above poster said, look for deals. If you go around Xmas time to a Saks off 5th or Nieman Last Call, you can get some great ties for 1/3 of the price. Although I am not a fan, Vineyard Vines seems to be a very popular selection for the associate level workers. Not sure why but figured I would note that.

Thanks for all of the advice. It's good to hear from someone in the industry.

From what I would gather, associates tend to dress better than analysts. I would guess two big reasons play into that: a) they're older, more mature, and more established in their careers, and b) they tend to be involved in significantly more client meetings than analysts.

RE: Vineyard Vines... it's a very preppy style and investment banking attracts a lot of preppy kids? I'm not sure what other explanation I'd have to give
smile.gif

I'll stick with conservative ties... and likely grab 2-3 MTM suits from mytailor, 3-5 more MTM shirts in solid whites/blues, and call it a day there. It should all fit into my budget of $2000-3000.

Thanks everyone for your input.

tqd1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Don't go overboard. MBAs in general dress pretty badly. About 50% wear loafers with their $200 solid black suits. They are in general excused though, many of them are only 25-28 years old, they don't know anything about clothes.

You don't necessarily need any more suits. Get some different shoes. Laced

Really? I'm shocked to hear this. Black suits and sloppy clothes may be acceptable for undergrads and analysts... but I figured most MBAs would be expected to know better.

I'd also guess it depends somewhat on the school. If you're out in California and recruiting for tech companies... I'm sure they couldn't care less what you're wearing. Investment Banking seems to be very image-conscious and demands polish from what I've been hearing.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in my MBA program people wore...whatever.

there is really no need to have more than 1 suit for interviewing/networking purposes. especially given structural changes in the industry, it's not like you are going to have a zillion interviews if you're not from H/W/S

if/once you get your internship buy another suit or 2. but even lots of finance jobs aren't formal/require suits anymore. once you get an actual job buy whatever you think you'll need. but during your actual MBA you will rarely need a suit and 1 solid staple will do

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
in my MBA program people wore...whatever.

there is really no need to have more than 1 suit for interviewing/networking purposes. especially given structural changes in the industry, it's not like you are going to have a zillion interviews if you're not from H/W/S

if/once you get your internship buy another suit or 2. but even lots of finance jobs aren't formal/require suits anymore. once you get an actual job buy whatever you think you'll need. but during your actual MBA you will rarely need a suit and 1 solid staple will do

Yep.

If you try too hard you might come off like a Gordon Gekko wannabe, which is even worse than looking clueless. If I were a recruiter I would not be impressed with your Hermes tie, pocket square and solid gold cufflinks. I would think GTFO.

As long as you don't do something ridiculously bad, it doesn't matter. For examples of ridiculously bad, here is a list (all of which I have seen in real life):

1. wearing a shirt which was clearly just unpacked from the plastic wrap and pins after being bought from Marshall's

2. wearing a jacket with the vents still sewn with white thread

3. wearing white athletic socks with a suit

4. wearing mark nason boots

5. wearing a 3 piece H & M suit

6. rolling your suit sleeves under and ironing them instead of getting them shortened professionally

7. wearing your free Bear Stearns backpack to your Accenture interview

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My suggest, keep it simple for interviewing, and i think BB golden fleece or 1818 is the way to go.

You can pick them up 50% off at the store once or twice a year.

The navy is dark, and doesnt have pick stitching on the lapels.

They're cut conservatively.

I'd stick with 1 navy and 1 charcoal, as mentioned you probably wont need a suit wardrobe, but they will expect you to interview in one. most offices are business casual now, unless you're in sales.

white button down collar shirts, its a finance staple, and will work well for the interview.

Please dont do the 'ferragamo, hermes, thomas pink' print tie, its a wall street thing, but i wouldnt do it for the interview.

your park aves are fine.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with what he said ^^^^^

I think you are over thinking this. I attend a top 10 MBA program and often visit my friends at a few of those top 2 or 3 MBA programs. None of these guys wear anything fancy. I really dont think the dress code requires too much thinking.

My friends often wear a navy blue suit or maybe a pin stripe suit. And then they would usually wear a pair of black shoes like some cole haan or a.edmonds. But as far as i know, the suits are Brooks Brothers quality or less. This would be for interviews or for when those consultants and other people come speak on campus. or maybe the networking events.

Dont think u need to get too fancy. just go with the most basic dress code.

black cap toe shoes
pinstipe suit... or maybe navy blue.
white shirt, blue shirt
boring tie
boring socks
boring briefcase

and you are good to go.

rjacobs

Reaction score
hey tqd1, congrats on getting in, it's getting tougher and tougher. i'm doing my mba right now. i'm in cali, but even we're not so laid back that it doesn't matter. my advice is to have one interview suit and a second suit for career fairs, etc. you should look bad ass in your interview suit - personally, i'd shell out the cash for this one (or stalk gilt or the board or whatever if you need to). second suit can be nordstrom-rack-y - mine's a boss suit, but it gets the job done. find a good tailor for both suits, it makes a huge difference. the people in my program that look sloppy aren't the ones with cheap suits, they're the ones who are swimming in their suits. i'd go with one navy and one charcoal, and maybe one should have pinstripes or something.

tqd1

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll go ahead and keep it fairly low key.

tqd1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Also, dont wear a pocket square for the interview.

Never wore one in my life. And I know better than to rock Ferragamo loafers or Hermes ties to interviews.

Usually go with a navy suit, white shirt, burgundy or light blue tie, AE Park Ave Black cap toes.

....along with my Champion white athletic socks of course.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads