• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matt Finish On Tan Shoes

samurai

Reaction score
Whenever I see my doctor I have to admire his shoes. Two weeks ago he had on an old pair of Allan Edmonds lace-ups, in beautiful and perfect condition.

The interesting thing about them was that they looked as if he didn't give a crp. about maintaining them. They were faded to a very light tan and the finish was matt, like he never polished them or even gave them a thought.

At first I thought he just doesn't care about his shoes, but then realised that yes he does indeed care about them, as they were totally elegant. They looked as if he had left them sitting out in the desert sun for a few weeks, giving them a bleached out almost chalky surface. There was not a stain or scuff mark on them, and they were in perfect shape.

Has anybody seen this, and how would I go about achieving this look?

BTW I'm new here so just go easy... Cheers, Larry.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
other than a few dress shoes (in black) which are highly polished, I try & keep my brown shoes matte or with a slight aged patina - this is achieved by using creams or conditioner not wax.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Maybe they were suede?

A fresh coat of leather conditioner with no buffing should give you a similar effect. I like it, but it's definitely not something that lasts. Sooner or later, you probably just end up with shoes with smudgy fingerprints.

samurai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by el Guapo WOngO!
other than a few dress shoes (in black) which are highly polished, I try & keep my brown shoes matte or with a slight aged patina - this is achieved by using creams or conditioner not wax.

Thanks Guapo, I'm going to try that.

samurai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Maybe they were suede?

A fresh coat of leather conditioner with no buffing should give you a similar effect. I like it, but it's definitely not something that lasts. Sooner or later, you probably just end up with shoes with smudgy fingerprints.

yfyf - I'm pretty sure they were not suede, as the surface texture looked smooth.

Yesterday I took a pair of light tan Cole Hahns and rubbed them out with mineral spirit. After 20 minutes I then buffed them with a brush, and the result was not bad. A bit of the shine came back but they have a softer look which I find interesting. Still not quite the same dry looking surface of the ones I saw...

samurai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I never have my shoes polished, don't like shiny shoes and I think brown shoes look better with no gloss so the leather quality and patina shines through. Clean 'em and cream 'em. Works well for shoes and girls.

I agree - light brown shoes are more casual and too much high gloss counteracts that. And about the other part of your post - damm straight.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Maybe they were suede?
Whoever Matt is, and regardless of whether or not they were suede, I'm sure if he finished on a pair of shoes, the effect would certainly be smudgy
rimshot.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with guapo and ed on this one. Not a fan of super shiny shoes

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's a great avatar, Guapo

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
Whoever Matt is, and regardless of whether or not they were suede, I'm sure if he finished on a pair of shoes, the effect would certainly be smudgy

rimshot.gif

Trust me, it is pretty special stuff.

They even wrote a song about it:

Originally Posted by gdl203
I'm with guapo and ed on this one. Not a fan of super shiny shoes

Me too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads